SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Backpacking Sharpening Tool for Hatchets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backpacking Sharpening Tool for Hatchets Login/Join 
Picture of awa762
posted
Hello Everyone,

Can anyone recommend a sharpening tool that does a good job at tuning up a hatchet edge, but doesn't weigh much? The purpose will be placing the item into a backpack. Hence, weight is a consideration.

I've been using a Fiskars x7 hatchet over the past few weekends. The Fiskars is an amazing little hatchet, however, it easily burrs with use. I am able to bring it back to a knife sharp edge with a lansky puck with 20 or so passes per side. It has me wanting to put the lansky puck into a bug out bag, but it is somewhat heavy.

Hence, any recommendations for a very effective hatchet edge honing stone or implement that will be light weight and good to use from a backpack? It would be even better if the same tool can be used to good effect to sharpen knives.

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
I have a dmt fine diamond stone that I keep on my survival knife pouch. About 3/4 inch wide x 3 inch long x 1/8 inch thick. They also make some double sided ones so you could have a rough/fine stone in one package.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Not ultra light weight, but not terrible either.

Lansky Puck

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Best compromise I've seen is the Eze lap...

http://www.knifecountryusa.com...allet-sharpener.html

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of awa762
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the replies and recommendations. The suggestions have given me some insight to some options that I wasn't even considering before.

The DMT seems to be a very good option, although it's a bit pricy. The coarse/fine double sided model looks best. Now, perhaps if I can find it for a bit cheaper than $47 somewhere. Maybe DMT will have a sale some day soon. Will keep an eye on it.

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
A good file with a nice handle? Should be good for basic hatchet tasks. Two files probably wouldn't weigh much if you want a finer edge.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
+1 on the file.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
What about the Fiskar's axe sharpener?

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars...iskars+axe+sharpener

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post