SIGforum
Backpacking Sharpening Tool for Hatchets

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/340601935/m/2310008224

April 16, 2017, 01:01 PM
awa762
Backpacking Sharpening Tool for Hatchets
Hello Everyone,

Can anyone recommend a sharpening tool that does a good job at tuning up a hatchet edge, but doesn't weigh much? The purpose will be placing the item into a backpack. Hence, weight is a consideration.

I've been using a Fiskars x7 hatchet over the past few weekends. The Fiskars is an amazing little hatchet, however, it easily burrs with use. I am able to bring it back to a knife sharp edge with a lansky puck with 20 or so passes per side. It has me wanting to put the lansky puck into a bug out bag, but it is somewhat heavy.

Hence, any recommendations for a very effective hatchet edge honing stone or implement that will be light weight and good to use from a backpack? It would be even better if the same tool can be used to good effect to sharpen knives.

Join and Support the NRA
April 16, 2017, 01:26 PM
Kravashera
I have a dmt fine diamond stone that I keep on my survival knife pouch. About 3/4 inch wide x 3 inch long x 1/8 inch thick. They also make some double sided ones so you could have a rough/fine stone in one package.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein
April 16, 2017, 02:42 PM
jjkroll32
Not ultra light weight, but not terrible either.

Lansky Puck

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight
April 17, 2017, 02:13 PM
Aeteocles
Best compromise I've seen is the Eze lap...

http://www.knifecountryusa.com...allet-sharpener.html
April 17, 2017, 06:26 PM
awa762
Thanks everyone for the replies and recommendations. The suggestions have given me some insight to some options that I wasn't even considering before.

The DMT seems to be a very good option, although it's a bit pricy. The coarse/fine double sided model looks best. Now, perhaps if I can find it for a bit cheaper than $47 somewhere. Maybe DMT will have a sale some day soon. Will keep an eye on it.

Join and Support the NRA
April 17, 2017, 09:30 PM
Riley
A good file with a nice handle? Should be good for basic hatchet tasks. Two files probably wouldn't weigh much if you want a finer edge.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.
May 02, 2017, 07:18 AM
reflex/deflex 64
+1 on the file.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------
May 02, 2017, 07:44 AM
MRMATT
What about the Fiskar's axe sharpener?

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars...iskars+axe+sharpener

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.