SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    If you have one Vallotton, you must have 2 Vallotton:) <Final Update>
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you have one Vallotton, you must have 2 Vallotton:) <Final Update> Login/Join 
posted
So, Spyderco introduced their reduced sized versions.

Here is the new version.

The big brother, in dual fire conversion.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DSgrouse,

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
So how long until that one gets the special treatment?

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kravashera:

As far as i know they have not started yet. I need to contact them and get on The list.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
quote:

As far as i know they have not started yet. I need to contact them and get on The list.

I am not a fan of blades with the hole in them for opening; just not my style. But I have to admit that the one that you have with the hidden button is just plain sexy.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both of them have thumb studs.

posted Hide Post
I'm not sold on the mini Vallotton, but it did take me a while to warm up to the regular version. Still don't have either yet, but I badly want the original. I'm not really into autos, but the hidden auto on the Vallotton is amazing!

Posts: 248 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: January 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, it's not a function thing, just aesthetics. Blondes vs. brunettes, so to speak.

- Robert Heinlein

posted Hide Post
I gotcha. It was not my favorite look either. I do like it now for a soft open. Pinch it between thumb and finger. Flip down lightly. Knife opens fairly slowly compared to thumb flip or dual fire.

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
This is my favorite Spyderco design in years. I'm not usually a buyer of production knives but at some point I'll have to get a large with the auto treatment. I've had a couple of Butch's customs with hidden opening, very cool!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I missed out on an Vallotton-Emerson CQC-7 last year and I'm still kicking my own ass for it.

Friend had it in his shop - never really heard of Vallotton before then. VERY good price on it. Played with it a bit but put it back as I'd just picked up my new SOCFK.

Did a little homework on it, realized what it was, and raced back.

Gone. Frown

Posts: 12540 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yeah, it's not a function thing, just aesthetics. Blondes vs. brunettes, so to speak.

I don't think the thumb studs are intended to be an opening device. Their primary function is to be a blade stop, though it is often touted as being both. Both of my flipper ZT's have a similar stud, but you would be hard pressed into using them to open the knife at all.

Posts: 248 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: January 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EssKayR22:
quote:
quote:

I don't think the thumb studs are intended to be an opening device. Their primary function is to be a blade stop, though it is often touted as being both. Both of my flipper ZT's have a similar stud, but you would be hard pressed into using them to open the knife at all.

These are both in same area, with in reach of thw thumb and easily flippable. The blade stop is I think their secondary. I will see if i can post a video

posted Hide Post
I put a crap tastic video together. I will see if i can link it from facebook.

posted Hide Post
These are both in same area, with in reach of thw thumb and easily flippable. The blade stop is I think their secondary. I will see if i can post a video[/QUOTE]

Oh, I'm sure that they can be used on the Vallotton to open it. I remember reading somewhere (can't find it now) that he designed them primarily as stop pins. I could be wrong on this, though. Back when I first started to notice this knife, I was highly curious why they would put thumb studs and an opening hole on it, and that was what I found in my readings. Again, I could be wrong on this. Awesome knife, either way.

Edit to add: just read the Spyderco description again, and it is indeed designed to be used to open as well as for stop pins (a design element Vallotton innovated).

posted Hide Post
Here is a vid, not the best i know.
https://www.facebook.com/aaron.e.kimpton/videos/1281317558625217/
https://www.facebook.com/aaron...os/1281317558625217/

posted Hide Post
The knife is off to the secret squirel skunk works.

posted Hide Post
Oh man, that's tempting!

Posts: 2170 | Location: Atlanta  | Registered: February 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still waiting on this thing... 5 It goes out next week updates.....

posted Hide Post
They promise it will go out next week, for the last 4 months.

posted Hide Post
Well, it is finally back. Now it matches up to my larger Vallotton sub-hilt.

Here are some Photo's;

mini vallotton https://www.facebook.com/aaron...os/1546634565426847/