SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Everyday Carry - Need a new one, thoughts?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Everyday Carry - Need a new one, thoughts? Login/Join 
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted
I am replacing my third Benchmade knife due to malfunctioning/failure. This has been over the last eight - ten years. Just to be clear I hold no ill-will against Benchmade, they have been great. But it is time to explore other options.

Needs/Use:

Smaller blade or deep concealment
(Cant carry a weapon at work)

Open cardboard boxes occasionally

Automatic - OTF or folder

Under $300

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I really like these smaller Hogue knives. I have 2. I use them as pocket knives, remove the clip and it carries nice in the pocket. Smooth reliable and sharp.

https://www.hogueinc.com/knive...black-aluminum-frame

https://smile.amazon.com/Hogue...1%2Caps%2C147&sr=8-1

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I'm interested to hear if you used the Benchmade warranty service?

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

I have not...

First one was a gift and I broke the blade chipping ice.

Second one the automatic button stop functioning.

When it failed it meant I could buy a OTF, so it wasn't that upsetting.

Third one, clip is bent, OTF mechanism will release it but not project it out. You have to swing the knife down to lock the blade in place.

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Small fixed blade? There's some ones mentioned in this thread.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7370064964

I picked up the camp Bradford from Photoman and it's a really sweet small fixed blade.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
If you're looking for a smaller knife, the Spyderco Native is a good, solid knife. Or there are the Hogue/Doug Ritter collaborations in large & small. They're very similar to the BM Griptilians, only better.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spyderco PM3 in your steel of choice. Add a MXG deep pocket clip.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
I've always been happy with my Kershaw Blur.

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GroundedCLK:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

I have not...

First one was a gift and I broke the blade chipping ice.

Second one the automatic button stop functioning.

When it failed it meant I could buy a OTF, so it wasn't that upsetting.

Third one, clip is bent, OTF mechanism will release it but not project it out. You have to swing the knife down to lock the blade in place.

Benchmade will fix all of that. They will even replace the blade on the chipped knife for a nominal fee, but the rest of it should be under warranty.

Benchmade has a lifetime warranty. Doesn't matter if you received it as a gift, so long as the knife is authentic.

For $5, they'll give each knife a spa treatment, replace the clips and all internal parts that are worn or need replacement, and will sharpen the knife.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The SpyderCo PM3 is damn near my perfect knife.

The Native is beefier feeling and is probably my second choice.

The Lil’ Native or Chaperelle (sp?) are super tiny. You could hide them on your person.....from yourself. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For otf I am happy with my microtech utx-85
Side opener I am happy with my protech ( being
left handed protech is the only company I know of making a left hand auto opener in left hand)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: captain127,

Posts: 3286 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Emerson.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
ZT 0770CF Assisted

I bought one of these when the local Gander was fire sale-ing everything due to them being affiliated with Camping World and not being able to hold up the RV side of business.

It is light, fast, and rides deeply in the pants pocket. I work primarily in an office setting and this is with me all the time. Most people ask to borrow my extra pen (thinking the clip is a pen clip) that's in my right pants pocket if it catches their eye at all.

There are a few other more gentlemanly styled knives with a similar assisted opening of the ZT that I am strongly considering.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
The Pro-tech Whiskers is a nice smaller side opener. The “hidden” bolster is a cool touch.

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
I like a good Buck USA folding knife.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post