SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Not sure I “need” a $600 knife, but damn if it ain’t a beauty...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not sure I “need” a $600 knife, but damn if it ain’t a beauty... Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
With guns, ammo, and camera gear all covered, I have started looking towards a better class of knife to replace my budget Kershaws.

One knife I’ve been wanting for a while is something “classy” with a Damascus blade. After a couple years of casually looking, I just never came across one that spoke to me at a price I was willing to pay.

Well, that itch has finally been scratched. Just ordered a Todd Begg Field Marshall in Bronze/Gold Titanium with Damasteel blade from knivesshipfree.com. It is a good size knife, 9” open with a 4” blade, not going to be an EDC.

I am a total newb to high end knives, but have been checking out YouTube vids and other reviews. TB seems to have a good rep. Hopefully it isn’t money wasted, if it looks as good in person as the pics I think I will be happy with it.

This should be actual knife/blade pattern. Should have it in hand next week, thoughts?

And for EDC, a CRKT Avant flipper...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
If there isn't such a thing as a BBQ knife, there should be. Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Beautiful knife, had to be tough to pick one from the selection. Todd's a heck of a good designer, I owned a couple of his customs over the years.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous!

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:

quote:
Originally posted by Kravashera:
Gorgeous!

Yes, loved as soon as I saw it. My original self-imposed price limit was $400ish, but just wasn’t finding anything I liked at that point.

Originally saw this one on BladeHQ for a touch under $800. Loved it, but that was just too much. Found it at knivesshipfree for $196 less than BladeHQ or anywhere else that had it in stock so figured it was a “bargain” and decided to go for it.

Tracking says it should be here Monday, can’t wait.

quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
Beautiful knife, had to be tough to pick one from the selection. Todd's a heck of a good designer, I owned a couple of his customs over the years.

Yes it was! They had 10-12 listed, a lot of variations in the blade patterns. Went back and forth a lot before settling on that one. Being able to pick the actual knife made spending the money a little easier. BladeHQ just had a “representative” example, so no telling what the actual pattern would be.

Being a knife newb, never heard of him but I fell in lust with the design. Did some googling and everything about him seemed good so, so that made the decision a little easier.

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crossfire fanatic

Picture of mr.sig239
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Now I'm looking at one.

phil

Posts: 2383 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr.sig239:
Very nice! Now I'm looking at one.

It comes in blue or black handles as well, satin blade options too... </enabler>

posted Hide Post
Breathtaking....really.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Arrived, looks as good as in person as it did when ordered.

Feels awesome in the hand, lighter than I expected. Titanium grip makes it well balanced. Flipper needs some break in, but as is it has no problem locking, just not super "quick" unless you put a little wrist action into it.

"Quickie" first photo session outside in overcast light. Will try to do a proper picture with flash this weekend hopefully...

EOSR2488 by Wayne Wilson, on Flickr

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:

Big Grin

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crossfire fanatic

Picture of mr.sig239
posted Hide Post
Very nice!
You suck!
Mine will be here in a few days. Looks just like yours. I got the AA model.
How long did it take to come in?

phil

Posts: 2383 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Ordered early Fri morning, shipped Fri, arrived Mon USPS Priority

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Nice Smile

I went with a fixed blade a couple hundred more expensive than your folder a number of years ago. Damascus LEO from Trace Rinaldi:

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
^^^Nice!

I am not a huge “Knife Person”, but I have always been partial to Damascus for some reason.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
^^^Nice!

I am not a huge “Knife Person”, but I have always been partial to Damascus for some reason.

More on the Trace Rinaldi custom: made in 2004, Leo model, Norm Shenk (Ohio) banded ladder high contrast high carbon 1095-nickel damascus, F-18 composite carbon fiber handle with 3 mosaic pins, custom sharkskin laminated concealex sheath, 9" OAL, 4.5" blade.

Yeah he had access to some F-18 composite material "scraps." Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
^^^Nice!

You just bought a $600 custom knife. You might not have been a "knife person" before but you are now. Smile

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I snagged a KOENIG Arius last year, LNIB for under five hundred, forget exactly what I paid.

I was a bit suspect on IF I would end up keeping it or not, as thats a bunch of money in a "good use only" sort of folder. But it's SO pretty and SO wel made! Now I have no issues when I see something for $500-$600. Where as a year back I would have dismissed it immediately.

Life is short...if it makes a guy happy, give it a try. Talking blades, not hookers and blow.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herkdriver:

You just bought a $600 custom knife. You might not have been a "knife person" before but you are now. Smile

I suppose that is the case now... Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

...Now I have no issues when I see something for $500-$600. Where as a year back I would have dismissed it immediately.

Life is short...if it makes a guy happy, give it a try. Talking blades, not hookers and blow.

Funny how that works huh?

First time I spent more than $500 on a camera or a lens I had the sweats. Now I can drop over $2K for either and not bat an eye.

My Piranha and Microtech were the “gateway” knives at about $300 each, those seemed to make it far easier to hit the “Order” button on this one.

Already trying to decide on a ZT now....

posted Hide Post
I carry a Todd Begg Kwaiken. Awesome razor sharp edge, thin, lightweight titanium handle and frame. Top of the heap!

Posts: 173 | Location: Hills of Appalachia | Registered: June 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crossfire fanatic

Picture of mr.sig239
posted Hide Post
Haven't received mine yet!! Looks like the post office decided to lose my payment! 10 days and it hasn't made it to Tenn. yet from Mass.
I could have drove there and back 8 times by now.

phil