SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Timahawk - large bladed Axe/Adze/Crowbar

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Timahawk - large bladed Axe/Adze/Crowbar Login/Join 
posted
Normally I eschew multitools as the sum of the parts is usually less than the sum total of the individual tools they replace. I still own a bunch of them - don't ask please Wink However, this looks more useful but if not that at least crazy interesting. Got a sale notice (they were @ $275 last time if I remember) So I ordered one for the sale price of $151 and change -free shipping, will check in last here with my thoughts when I have time to fondle it after it gets here. I can tell that the Adze isn't as impressive as my full sized adze which I had out last Thursday doing some trail work. Still have the blister on my hand for that:-( ....But for a "pull out from under the seat in an emergency", this looks good.

Not to start complaining before it gets here, but an individual cover for the crowbar would be needed before you could start swinging that axe with alacrity it appears to me. Conversely, the same could be said for an axe blade cover while using the crowbar or the adze.

$151 sounds like a lot of scratch, but the next thread over is RMJ Tactical Tomahawks, very similar 4130/4140 material, @ $400 more, so I guess that $151 price is relative. http://gearupcenter.com/

I think this is the same folks who invented the Chaippa X-caliber tubes that fit into a 12 ga shotgun and you can shoot .22 or .45 etc out of them. They also have something called a Crovel, which is a shovel with a point on it for defense I think. Wasn't interested, I have Glock shovel (haha, not kidding) that I have tucked under the truck seat that I don't think that will replace. In places where carrying is an issue, you could have a potentially lawful tool for self defense I suppose.

Posts: 772 | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, it showed up, and although I'm happy to have a multitool in place of all of them together as that's a lot of space needed, the individual tools would outperform the version on the Timahawk. Also, using the tool without a protective sheath or leather wrap of some sort is potentially very hazardous. Imagine using the pry end, that sharp blade is going to be flailing around mere inches away from big Jim and the twins.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
That looks like a knock-off of the Dan Winkler breaching tools he's made for special forces.

Check out 4:44 on this video

I know he's made some design revisions. I had the opportunity to buy one from Dan at a show. I probably talked to him and his wife for a half an hour before deciding I just wouldn't have a use for it to justify the purchase.

He's improved the safety a bit for the hand, if I remember correctly. His wife told me that some team members tried one of his breaching tools on an armoured executive limousine and and had extracted a person fully from the locked vehicle in less than a minute, using only this tool. She had the video on her phone.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 4043 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.gerbergear.com/Cutt...e-Tomahawk_30-000715

They WORK VERY WELL!

"When its time to shoot, shoot. Dont talk!"

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 4756 | Location: Just moved: Downtown Chi-Town | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I'm not feeling too bad about the price now. The Dan Winkler breaching tool is $700 and the Gerber is over $300. This thing looks to be better than the Gerber (bigger, and 4130 steel vs 420).

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
^ Yep. It was offered to me for less, but still more than I'll ever make use of. Still think of it though.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 4043 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought this thinking it would be a toss in the truck for that time when you need an axe or a pry bar or a mattox but didn't have the foresight or intelligence to have it on you when needed. For those tasks it would be totally underperforming, but I can now see as a door breacher or car breakin tool it would rock. I don't expect to ever use it for that though. The axe head has a berserker feel and look to it. I wouldn't want to see it coming at me. I guess if the flag goes up and the SHTF, I'm set.

...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
They had me until the pry end was on the handle. Now you are grabbing the sharp end for leverage. This can lead to ungood things.

Posts: 8778 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All one piece ?

quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
Normally I eschew multitools as the sum of the parts is usually less than the sum total of the individual tools they replace. I still own a bunch of them - don't ask please Wink However, this looks more useful but if not that at least crazy interesting. Got a sale notice (they were @ $275 last time if I remember) So I ordered one for the sale price of $151 and change -free shipping, will check in last here with my thoughts when I have time to fondle it after it gets here. I can tell that the Adze isn't as impressive as my full sized adze which I had out last Thursday doing some trail work. Still have the blister on my hand for that:-( ....But for a "pull out from under the seat in an emergency", this looks good.

Not to start complaining before it gets here, but an individual cover for the crowbar would be needed before you could start swinging that axe with alacrity it appears to me. Conversely, the same could be said for an axe blade cover while using the crowbar or the adze.

$151 sounds like a lot of scratch, but the next thread over is RMJ Tactical Tomahawks, very similar 4130/4140 material, @ $400 more, so I guess that $151 price is relative. http://gearupcenter.com/

I think this is the same folks who invented the Chaippa X-caliber tubes that fit into a 12 ga shotgun and you can shoot .22 or .45 etc out of them. They also have something called a Crovel, which is a shovel with a point on it for defense I think. Wasn't interested, I have Glock shovel (haha, not kidding) that I have tucked under the truck seat that I don't think that will replace. In places where carrying is an issue, you could have a potentially lawful tool for self defense I suppose.

Posts: 3141 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, 1 piece. The handle is some type of composite they bolted onto the 1 piece of steel. Pretty danged solid too. They spent a lot of scratch on the "banjo case" to carry it which I think was wasted. Oh it's very high quality, but as guardianangel notes upthread, use uncovered could be very problematical if not downright dangerous. They'd have been better off with separate coverings for both ends, perhaps clip on plastic like a bladetec holster type of material. I will say that the Timahawk appears to be twice the tool of that Gerber for half the money.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimb888,