SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Faribairn Sykes dagger
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Faribairn Sykes dagger Login/Join 
Picture of c_zielsdorf
posted
I just finished an interesting show on Netflix called Churchill's Secret Agents, about the SOE.
It got me a bit interested in the FS commando dagger and the V-42 dagger.
I realize that these have a limited use, and by today's standard they are obsolete, but I'm interested in the history. I suppose the same reason I bought a CMP Garand last summer.
Does anybody have a recommendation of a good quality copy? I don't trust buying an original, as I don't know enough.
I won't be using it, but want it to be at least built to the original war ready standard.
Pics would be fantastic too!

Disabled combat vet

Posts: 1409 | Location: WY | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I went down the rabbit hole with these somewhat.

You can find genuine late pattern FS knives for not a lot. If you don't mind a copy, then Amazon has plenty of options.

As far as "war ready standard," that's pretty easy, as they were known to break tips, or break completely off of the grip with aggressive use.

The FS knife, while designed as a "fighting knife," is more of an assassins tool than a combat knife. Fragile and extremely sharp, with and interesting history.

If you want a "faithful reproduction," they can go $400 or higher, which is amusing because you can find original knives for that money.

What were you looking to spend? Either the V-42 repros or FS knives can be had for +/- $40, and it all depends on how fancy you'd like to get.

I'd have to go through my saved links to find sites that sell genuine knives, if you're interested. The V-42s are not cheap, but late FS knives can be.

If you want an actual useful incarnation, I'd shop for a Gerber Mark II

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Never really felt the Fairbairn Sykes.

Gerber Mk II was the first knife I bought, circa 1977.

Got one of the Spartan / Ek daggers a few years back.

Waiting on a Busse FMV8 (Custom Shop, Nuke Option) to ship. Will look somewhat like this, but different scales.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always liked the Case V42 for the thumb thing alone.

Nice pictures:
http://www.wilkinsonfscollecti..._Fighting_Knife.html

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post

Modern MkII, NATO Sheffield.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
I reworked on of the Sheffield NATI knives knifecenter is selling as well. Out of the box they have the appearance of a poorly manufactured letter opener, but it shows its qualities when you start honing the blade. The steel is really tough and well hardened. It takes time to get a sharp edge, but when it is done, it’s going to be a wicked tool and it perforates a roast like butter and will perforate thin MDF when it drops on it point forward. My wife is easy with knifes, but this particular piece was banned from being close to her. So a Sheffield copy is fine if you want to have a performer. If you want a true copy, McDonald in Edinburgh is the place to go. Starting price is around 200 GBP for a copy. They look nicer, but are not better than a Sheffield copy with NSN number.

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The J. Nowill & Sons, Sheffield, England repro seems to be fitting although I have not tried it out on any Nazi sentries. As I understand it the FS dagger was designed with a long thin blade to penetrate heavy clothing into the vitals or to draw across the jugular. The Applegate-Fairbairn is beefed up and more sturdy.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post