SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    What is the point of a folding cleaver blade?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the point of a folding cleaver blade? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
Don’t get me wrong. “It’s just cool.” Is a perfectly acceptable answer. Knives, guns, lights all transcend simple utilitarian tools for many of us.

That said is there actually any practical uses for a small, folding, cleaver blade knife? I just can’t see using it in place of a “real cleaver” for cooking tasks and I can’t see it being a drastically better chopper then another more normal blade shape.

Am I missing something.

And yes I do think they look cool.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The point? It is a cleaver, there is no point on a cleaver Smile

Posts: 1065 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I won’t forget to tip my waitress. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Butchering small rodents?

I’ll admit, I bought just cause it looks cool. I also did a little googling and came up with the following. It does make some sense.

”... main purpose of a sheepsfoot or cleaver blade is for cutting and slicing while minimizing the chances of anything accidentally being pierced by the point. The design includes a straight edged front blade and a dull back spine that curves down to meet the straight edge. The two blades meet at the tip to form a "false point." The distinctive flat cutting edge is well-suited to giving you a supremely clean cut, especially on flat cutting surfaces.

The only disadvantage is its lack of a sharp point, which also happens to be one of its advantages.”

Seems to make sense, but still it just looks cool as hell and that works for me.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10936 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Just because you CAN doesn't mean that you SHOULD!"

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
It's just a modification of the wharncliffe or sheepsfoot style blades in regular type usage but looks more interesting since you don't see them that often.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post