SIGforum
What is the point of a folding cleaver blade?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/340601935/m/1960073774

December 07, 2020, 01:51 PM
cslinger
What is the point of a folding cleaver blade?
Don’t get me wrong. “It’s just cool.” Is a perfectly acceptable answer. Knives, guns, lights all transcend simple utilitarian tools for many of us.

That said is there actually any practical uses for a small, folding, cleaver blade knife? I just can’t see using it in place of a “real cleaver” for cooking tasks and I can’t see it being a drastically better chopper then another more normal blade shape.

Am I missing something.

And yes I do think they look cool.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
December 07, 2020, 01:58 PM
SW_Sig
The point? It is a cleaver, there is no point on a cleaver Smile
December 07, 2020, 02:32 PM
cslinger
I won’t forget to tip my waitress. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
December 07, 2020, 08:23 PM
911Boss
Butchering small rodents?

I’ll admit, I bought just cause it looks cool. I also did a little googling and came up with the following. It does make some sense.

”... main purpose of a sheepsfoot or cleaver blade is for cutting and slicing while minimizing the chances of anything accidentally being pierced by the point. The design includes a straight edged front blade and a dull back spine that curves down to meet the straight edge. The two blades meet at the tip to form a "false point." The distinctive flat cutting edge is well-suited to giving you a supremely clean cut, especially on flat cutting surfaces.

The only disadvantage is its lack of a sharp point, which also happens to be one of its advantages.”

Seems to make sense, but still it just looks cool as hell and that works for me.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

December 13, 2020, 01:45 PM
djpaintles
"Just because you CAN doesn't mean that you SHOULD!"

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
December 14, 2020, 03:13 AM
Xer0
It's just a modification of the wharncliffe or sheepsfoot style blades in regular type usage but looks more interesting since you don't see them that often.