SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Poll: Which Knife for SHTF/Bug Out Bag?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: Which Knife for SHTF/Bug Out Bag? Login/Join 
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Fallkniven F1

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 6951 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Never a bad choice.

Posts: 1450 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I have a bug out bag for each family member. Each on bag has 2 knives.

My bag: Top Knives BOB and Kershaw Knockout

Wife's bag: Gerber LMFII and Kershaw Blackout

Daughters bag: Kabar Marine Knife and Spyderco Native

Out of those 3 fixed blade knives my favorite is the Tops Knives BOB. I beat the hell out of this knife (split wood, etc..) and it's held up great.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 3054 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Well, my first choice would be my Chris Reeves Green Beret but for the purposes of the survey it would go to the ESEE then the Kabar.
Fixed blade for sure!

Posts: 13478 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
This is what is in my bag.

Gerber LMF II Survival Knife.

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-...r+fixed+blade+knives

With the options given I would go with the KA-BAR, but I agree that the Gerber LMF is a great choice and the price is reasonable.

Ka-bar
http://www.lapolicegear.com/ka...-tactical-tanto.html

Gerber
http://www.lapolicegear.com/gemitalmfiia1.html

Posts: 1526 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
ESEE 4. Not too big, not too small. It's a great all around knife.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 2522 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm curious as to everyone's interpretation of the a SHTF/Bug Out bag. I'm seeing quite a nice list of excellent knives being for what I've always considered as a pre-packed "grab and go" scenario. Are you all leaving these ~$150 knives in a bag and never using them or something different? Simply curious, not questioning the responses.

Posts: 172 | Location: ATL | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run an ESEE 4 but I voted for the 5 because thats what Id get if I didnt have the 4.

Posts: 6144 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of watchman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch 2340:
Fallkniven F1

Can't go wrong with that one but I went with the S1 mainly cause it feels more brutal in the hand.

If you want a folder my choice went to the Spyderco Military.

quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
Are you all leaving these ~$150 knives in a bag and never using them or something different? Simply curious, not questioning the responses.

MY Spyderco is my go to for EDC and I admit the S1 gets more letter opening duty than anything but it is not stored away for SHTF only.

I love it when my Freudian slips are on base with the subject matter.

Posts: 2590 | Location: PA | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoghunter
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
One of mine of course!!! There ain't much it can't do...

Dragons Breath Knives

Posts: 4218 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Not sure I'd want to use it for a toothpick Wink , but it looks like it would be good for a lot of other things. Nice looking blade.

Posts: 1450 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the price I like the Cold Steel SRK with Carbon V steel.

Posts: 87 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 3/4Flap
posted Hide Post
Not just because I make bolos and parangs, but because I use them every week on the ranch here, I'd have one such knife and a Swiss Army knife. There is nothing you can't do with a good parang that can be done with any knife including much fine work. But NONE of the smaller fixed or folder knives can touch a good 12-14" bladed parang for a whole host of jobs and no axe or hatchet is as versatile.

Americans have an aversion to big knives which I think comes from the more-or-less uselessness of big Bowie's and not having anything else to compare/contrast them to.

Also, there is the skill level. A bolo knife demands skill and I don't know too many folks who haven't suffered fairly serious injuries in the learning. But with skill, such knives are utterly light years ahead of any Marine Ka-Bar or custom approximations of same the cost or maker of the latter being immaterial.

"For certainly no legislation can be supposed more wholesome and necessary in the founding of a free, self-governing commonwealth, fit to take rank as one of the coordinate States of the Union, than that which seeks to establish it on the basis of the idea of the family, as consisting in and springing from the union for life of one man and one woman in the holy estate of matrimony"; United States Supreme Court Ruling, Murphy v. Ramsey 1885.
The hardest trail leads to the highest peak.
"A liberal is a person whose immediate interests are not at stake."

Posts: 4610 | Location: Idaho, USA | Registered: May 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 3/4Flap:
Not just because I make bolos and parangs, but because I use them every week on the ranch here, I'd have one such knife and a Swiss Army knife. There is nothing you can't do with a good parang that can be done with any knife including much fine work. But NONE of the smaller fixed or folder knives can touch a good 12-14" bladed parang for a whole host of jobs and no axe or hatchet is as versatile.

Americans have an aversion to big knives which I think comes from the more-or-less uselessness of big Bowie's and not having anything else to compare/contrast them to.

Also, there is the skill level. A bolo knife demands skill and I don't know too many folks who haven't suffered fairly serious injuries in the learning. But with skill, such knives are utterly light years ahead of any Marine Ka-Bar or custom approximations of same the cost or maker of the latter being immaterial.

What sort of injuries have you seen? Just curious. Ive been using Machetes for ~ 20+ years now around farms, campssites and even actual jungles, Ive seen a few people hit their shins.

Posts: 4087 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 3/4Flap
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
quote:
Originally posted by 3/4Flap:

What sort of injuries have you seen? Just curious. Ive been using Machetes for ~ 20+ years now around farms, campssites and even actual jungles, Ive seen a few people hit their shins.

Cuts to the support hand mostly. Cuts to legs as you say. Typical stamped-steel machetes often glance badly and from the factory many need a totally new edge ground with a new angle. I stuck one into my patella years ago when the blade glanced off a hard dry branch and cut clean off a portion of the top of a finger that had to be sewed back on.

The best/worst are single-bevel AKA chisel-ground edges. They have a number of advantages over a double bevel edge and I make mostly single-bevel parangs, but they do demand more skill in use to make straight cuts.

"For certainly no legislation can be supposed more wholesome and necessary in the founding of a free, self-governing commonwealth, fit to take rank as one of the coordinate States of the Union, than that which seeks to establish it on the basis of the idea of the family, as consisting in and springing from the union for life of one man and one woman in the holy estate of matrimony"; United States Supreme Court Ruling, Murphy v. Ramsey 1885.
The hardest trail leads to the highest peak.
"A liberal is a person whose immediate interests are not at stake."

Posts: 4610 | Location: Idaho, USA | Registered: May 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My early Christmas gift to myself is an Extrema Ratio Fulcrum S. It is a little pricey for a bugout knife - I got mine for hiking/camping.

The handle grip is superb on this knife.

Posts: 245 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Out of your choices, the K-Bar.
I prefer just a plain old Buck 110.

Before there was man, the parrot ruled the world. Now man rules the world and the parrot has not forgiven - Native American Proverb.

Posts: 37573 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I have an ESEE 5 given to me by my dad, I think its a great BOB knife.

I'd also look at hatchets for SHTF.

The philosophy of protectionism is a philosophy of war. - Ludwig von Mises
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DhagKyvDck

Posts: 6827 | Location: Live from the high desert and the great American southwest! | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
The USMC KaBar is a beast. I have one and it is fundamentally indestructible.

I'd like an ESEE 5, because I'd like an ESEE5, but if I wasn't going to use it much, the KaBar will do the job.

We may consent to be governed, but we will not be ruled. - Kevin D. Williamson, 2012

Posts: 7925 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
An 16" Estwing Hatchet and a SS Mora and a good multitool.

I also have carried my Grayman ground pounder.

A hatchet is not as easy....or safe as a good parang or similar chopper.

I wish I still had my old Western bowie....great knife

Posts: 6089 | Location: DFW is home but currently in PHX | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post