SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Poll: Which Knife for SHTF/Bug Out Bag?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: Which Knife for SHTF/Bug Out Bag? Login/Join 
Picture of elberettas
posted
Hello Everyone,

I've been considering buying a SHTF/Bug Out knife lately. I've done some research and have found that many "Experts" prefer a folder, while others prefer a fixed blade for this purpose. I honestly probably won't use this knife much. It will be more like a "Break glass in case of emergencies" type knife. Anyway, these are the finalists. As always, any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Question:
Which would you choose as a SHTF/Bug Out Knife?

Choices:
ESEE 5
Doug Ritter RSK MK1
Zero Tolerance 0200
Just buy a U.S.M.C. KA BAR for half the price!!!

Colt Rifle, SIG Pistol and Benchmade Knife.... Everything I need, nothing I don't!

Posts: 1576 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No real opinion on your selections.

For a SHTF knife I'd want a fixed blade- simple, reliable, fewer moving parts and more pracical for survival needs. I have a folder in my pocket and in reality it's a compromise for not carrying a bigger fixed bladed knife.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 9887 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The EESE & Marine K bar are 1095 steel, so if you're going to throw the knife in the bug out bag & forget about it, they may rust. If you plan on using the knife occasionally, then you can maintain them & the 1095 shouldn't be a problem.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 407 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
This is what is in my bag.

Gerber LMF II Survival Knife.

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-...r+fixed+blade+knives

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 33664 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
Well, where do you live and what are you planning on? If you're in the SE right facing a possible hurricane, a good Get Home Bag makes alotta sense. And it's is going to be different than a person who wants something in their car up in Alaska in the winter.

Zombies? Machete.

If I had to limit myself to one and only one BOB cutting device, it would probably be a good multi-tool. Do you EDC a good quality folder in your pocket? That changes things up a bit.

As I EDC a folder, in my Get Home Bag, I'd put good multi-tool and possibly a good, heavy duty ~ 6 inch fixed blade...the kind of thing you could use for shelter and heavy cutting tasks. Not too worried about slicing tomatoes.

Of your list, probably the ESEE...

BOSS

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4281 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
For a true bug out knife, you'd want a fixed blade with a corrosion resistant steel that can still be easily sharpened in the field.

My choice used to be an ESEE, but I switched recently to the Ontario SK5. Well-made, 154CM steel, an all around good bushcraft knife.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26164 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
EESE, the K-bar & Beckers are good knives as long as you can wipe them down occasionally with an oily rag. I have my old Camillus Pilot's Survival knife that I got in 1967 & it's still in good shape.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 407 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
With the option you gave I went with the K-bar.

I have EDC folder (ZT0300 series) that is a permanent resident in my left front pocket, if I was packing a bug out bag it would a Large heavy (over 9 inch blade) fixed blade Bowie style that could be used for anything from chopping to prying.

Posts: 1646 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
I live in Southern California and carry a Benchmade 551 Griptilian (Full size) with me about 95% of the time.

Colt Rifle, SIG Pistol and Benchmade Knife.... Everything I need, nothing I don't!

Posts: 1576 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sea Bass
posted Hide Post
quote:
I switched recently to the Ontario SK5. Well-made, 154CM steel, an all around good bushcraft knife.

I second that. I really like the flat grind and 154 steel. It's a lot of knife for only $109 and it's relatively lightweight too. I know it's not one of your choices but it's what I have and use.

SB

"Shohna ba Shohna - Shoulder to Shoulder"

Posts: 1540 | Location: Knox/Etown KY | Registered: June 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
I'd buy a mora robust And never feel guilty about leaving it in a bag for its entire life.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2015 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:

Gerber LMF II Survival Knife.

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-...r+fixed+blade+knives

I have one, and they're good knives. For someone wanting something more low-profile, though, I recommend something like the Buck 119 Special:

https://www.amazon.com/Buck-11...rds=Buck+119+special

Simple, sturdy, economical and it looks like what it is: a hunting and camping knife. It is a lot less likely to spook someone.

Stickmaker

Posts: 298 | Location: Frankfort, Kentucky.  | Registered: November 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
I feel strongly that the BOB or emergency kit needs more than one knife, and a multi tool. If it comes to needing the kit, and your one knife is lost, you will be screwed.

Personally, I like to have at least one very tough fixed blade of between 5 and 7 inches, for field and camp chores if necessary, along with a folder in the bag and another folder carried on my person. The folders don't weigh much or take up much room, so not too bad to have extras. Then at least one multitool.

Of those you listed, I voted for the ESEE. I have a Randall's Training and Adventure RTAK by Ontario that is tough, and the ESEE is the same concept, but smaller and maybe a tad better execution than the Ontario. It is a perfect outdoors knife. I like BUSS also, and even a lot of the TOPS knives, in spite of the gimmicky faux tactical marketing and look of a lot of their stuff.

Folders, lots of good ones, I just stick with Benchmade just because I like them and they work for me. I have a bunch, but in the field I bring a Griptilian since the plastic handle doesn't conduct heat or clod to my hands, it is simple and it works, and if it breaks or gets lost I don't get too upset about it.

I also always have a multi tool in my kit, usually a larger one like LM Wave or larger.

Posts: 2794 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rekstrom:
I feel strongly that the BOB or emergency kit needs more than one knife, and a multi tool. If it comes to needing the kit, and your one knife is lost, you will be screwed.

I absolutely agree with rekstrom. Every time I step into the woods I have at least one fixed blade, a sturdy folder and a multi-tool--even if it's an SAK, but I prefer my Charge TTi.

Out of the knives you listed, I'd go with the ESEE 5, but I don't think you've accounted for everything you might do. An ESEE 5 is an in-between knife. It's very thick, and can certainly be used for the more rigorous tasks like prying, but as someone mentioned, if you're leaving it in a bag, you'll have to maintain the 1095 blade to prevent corrosion. It's also not a very efficient slicer.

For a true survival situation cost should not be the primary concern. The knife, or knives, will be the most important tool(s) you'll have, and your life will depend on them.

For a bug-out bag,I'd have one chopper (you'll use it a lot), whether it's a machete, long knife, or even a small axe. I prefer a long knife since it can be used for other chores around camp.

I'd also have a corrosion-resistant knife with a 4-5 blade that's easy to carry. Besides being kept in a bag, in a true survival situation, you're going to run into some weather. And if you're not very diligent about maintaining your blade, you'll have problems in that regard as well.

Someone mentioned the SK-5 and that's a good option. There's also the Spyderco Proficient and Bushcraft, the Benchmade Bushcraft knives,Fiddleback Forge offers some fantastic models and you can get models in S35VN which is an a good balance between corrosion-resistance versus being easily sharpened.

If you can't buy one of their full-custom jobs, you can get one of their midtech knives in S35VN like the Bushfinger or the Duke.

If you're religious about maintaining your knife on a daily basis, that opens the door to a vast array of quality blades.

Anyway, I'm rambling here. The main point is that you need to have more than one blade on you in case of loss or breakage, and there will be different knife needs for different jobs.

Also, I think there's blades more suited to bugging out than what you have listed--especially if you're only talking about one knife.

But, that's just my two cents. Good luck with whatever you pick!

G.

Posts: 17 | Registered: November 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
OP, which knife can you work with all day with the least discomfort?

Posts: 19644 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My vote go's to the ESEE 5

Posts: 392 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
OP, which knife can you work with all day with the least discomfort?

That's a good question. I haven't handled an ESEE 5 in quite a while, so I'd have to get my hands on one again to give an honest answer.

Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
I'm really happy with my Doug Ritter Mini RSK. Most people don't realize that the Doug Ritter RSK is an enhanced Benchmade Griptilian.

Posts: 2579 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I don't own one but I have read a lot of good things about the ESEE 5. My knife for the purpose you describe is a Fallkniven F1. I went ahead with the 3G steel version and I love it. Honestly, if you are talking emergency purposes only, you would be happy with any knife with quality steel and full tang construction. I also agree with the others that suggest a good multi tool to serve as a companion in your BUG Out bag. I'm a big fan of the Leatherman Wave. I say all of this with the assumption that like most of us you EDC a pocket knife of decent quality as well.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 521 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I'm throwing BK16 into the mix. I can't see how you break it unless you are doing something you shouldn't be doing with a knife and it's a good size for a lot of tasks. You can find them for $55-$60 around Black Friday.

I like my ESEE 5, but how long do you really want to walk around with that weight in your pack or on your hip as part of a go bag? If you really think you will be prying something buy a Stanley Wonder Bar. If you want to break glass buy an automatic center punch.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000...oliid=I2G0ATGIODFDVM

Posts: 5689 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post