SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Does anyone carry a knife in the fifth, or watch pocket?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone carry a knife in the fifth, or watch pocket? Login/Join 
Picture of elberettas
posted
Hello Everyone,

I recently started carrying a Kershaw Blur again. I love this knife, but it just sticks up and out a little too much, when clipped to my pocket (Tip up). I've been considering carrying it unclipped, to the "Fifth Pocket" in my jeans. It doesn't feel uncomfortable, and I like that it's a little more discreet. Does anyone else carry their EDC knife this way?

Posts: 1956 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I used to carry a Leatherman SuperTool like that, but no longer.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
I have had a Case Peanut in my watch pocket for over 20 years.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've carried my Spyderco Ladybug there on occasion. There's a lanyard on it to make it easier to take out of the pocket. The pocket in my jeans is so small that anything bigger wouldn't fit, or at least stick out too much to be comfortable for me when sitting.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I don't find knives small enough to do that very useful.

Posts: 5098 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I've tried, but don't find it comfortable. I've often wished a knife pocket attached on the inside of the front pocket so I could carry my knife with the clip facing inward.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I've often wished a knife pocket attached on the inside of the front pocket so I could carry my knife with the clip facing inward.

Maybe something like this would help:

http://raven-concealment-syste...oader-pocket-shield/

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:

I don't consider the Blur a small knife. It sticks out about an inch when carried this way. Perfect to grab with two fingers. Wink

Posts: 1956 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
When I wear pants that have one, yes. Worked great with the Kershaw Scallion. The replacement Benchmade Mini Axis Stryker works better in some than others, but still comfortable.

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FBHO
posted Hide Post
My Kershaw Cryo fits there perfectly.

Posts: 1046 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: September 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
How big are you guy's watch pockets? Mine won't hold much of anything.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Spyderco Dragonfly II (absolutely LOVE this knife) that I will carry sometimes in my coin pocket. It fits perfectly and is easy to get to. Some of my bigger knives could fit into the coin pocket, but every time I sit or bend at the waist I run the chance of the bigger ones being pushed out and losing them. It isn't worth losing a good knife to carry in the coin pocket for me. So, only a smaller knife works for me in this regard.

Posts: 248 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: January 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've done it from time to time but haven't found anything I really like in that pocket until this week. I picked up a Graham GMT Stubby Razel and it fits very nicely in the 5th pocket of my jeans and khakis. Its unique clip is also very subtle.

It's the one on the bottom. If anyone can carry a Spyderco PM2 in the 5th pocket all day I'd like to see it! The knife clipped in the main pocket is a Zero Tolerance 0808 with a factory low ride clip installed.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used to carry my dragonfly there, but got tired of finding it clacking around in the clothes dryer. I do love my wife tho. Big Grin

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pantera1994
posted Hide Post
I carry my shorter folders with a pocket clip in my watch pocket. I'm currently carrying a ZT 0350 and find it very comfortable.

Posts: 1306 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: August 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
How big are you guy's watch pockets? Mine won't hold much of anything.

I wear Wrangler relaxed fit jeans and have room in the watch pocket for my Case Peanut, a Fenix E-05 flashlight, and a TRU-NORD compass with room to spare.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I do.
I carry a little Gerber lock blade in mine.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:

Try a dehydrated knife?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
I wear Levi's 514's. Plenty of room in the 5th pocket.