SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Anyone given a look at Civivi knives?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone given a look at Civivi knives? Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
Seems to be a budget line from WE. Some nice looking models at easily affordable prices.

Anyone have one?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10911 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
They look great, are priced well, have lots of variety and I like D2 steel.

All that said something about a Chinese knife doesn’t sit well with me. I’m not saying I’d NEVER give them a try but like I said, especially these days, I am “China Shy”.

The WE Banter looks nice as well but.....see above.

Maybe one day as a decent cheap, throw away knife so to speak.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7623 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Also. I didn’t mean the above to sound judgemental just my OWN reservations at this time.

As I said the offerings look great.

Posts: 7623 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I had never seen or heard of Civivi until seeing a photo posted on the photography forum I frequent. I have a weakness/addiction for Carbon Fiber and Damascus, so I checked them out.

Civivi appears to be a “budget” line made by WE Knives. Yes, Chinese manufacture but WE seems to be building a solid reputation so I ordered a few to take a look at. Both of these were Amazon Prime so no risk and free returns if I didn’t like them. So far I am pretty impressed, knives come in a zippered case with a polishing cloth and a couple of stickers.

Quality of appearance is better than I was expecting, fit and finish are top notch and both snap open and lock in place with moderate force.

First up is the “Chronic” black G10 handle with CF overlay and a Damascus blade. This one classy looking little flipper. Nice Damascus pattern and only the slightest flex between blade and handle if I really try hard. Size wise, it is a little larger than the Exarch posted by Corythosaurus sporting a 3.25” blade vs the Exarch’s 3.22” blade. The other difference is it is a rear flipper instead of a front flip design. For $69 and change from Amazon it seems like a good value. Same knife without the Damascus blade can be had for about $50.

The other one I picked up is the “Baklash” Double black, also a black G10 handle with CF overlay and a 9CR18MOV black stonewashed finish. NO blade/handle flex even with trying hard. The Baklash is more stout and larger in every dimension, sporting a 3.5” blade. At $45 from Amazon, first impression is it is nicer than any of the (many) Kershaw folders I’ve gone through in that price range.

Of course looks is just one part, but on first impression there is nothing to suggest these won’t be solid and affordable performers. Both are nice and sharp out of the box and look awesome. Pocket clip is reversible on both and the Baklash sports a lanyard hole.

I went ahead and ordered another Baklash with a Damascus blade and black G10 handles. Unfortunately they don’t offer the Baklash in the Damascus/CF combination, so I plan on swapping the handles for a “custom” Backlash.

I know, sucks to support Chicom in any way/shape/form and while I would prefer to buy USA, I’m not aware of a similar US made option.

Posts: 10911 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
They look great and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want to try an elementum or two and what I have spent on toys in general they are basically dirt cheap.

How’s the sharpness, cutting capability out of the box?

That Damascus looks fantastic. I assume it’s etched something steel and not real Damascus, correct?

Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Well it didn’t draw blood on the unboxing Wink but I haven’t tried to cut anything with it yet.

I’m a neophyte knife aficionado, what is the best way to check out of box sharpness? I did the “drag thumb across edge” test and they feel pretty sharp, couldn’t tell any discernible difference between them and my ZT 0770CFM4.

Every place I looked gave them good reviews, Amazon, BladeHQ. Blades advertised as “Damascus” on Amazon as well as the knife sites. No mention of it just being a patterned finish.

A reply to a question on the “type” of Damascus on Amazon had a reply that it was “Wootz” steel, and Google reveals that is a Damascus steel. The Damascus one is polished to a near mirror finish.

Shit, I didn’t see the “Elementum”, now I want one of them too! Oh, and the “Incite” with Damascus blade and CF/Copper in clear resin handles.

https://www.amazon.com/Civivi-...Pocket/dp/B08243SNRH

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
It’s a sickness and Civivi has definitely tapped into by offering so many variants. Smile

I usually like my knives to be able to easily cut a piece of paper, magazine page etc. by simply drawing the blade lightly across slivers.

Did they come with the SWAG? The cases and stickers/patches?

I may not be a neophyte but I certainly don’t know much about knives and steels etc. and I can’t hand sharpen for shit. Smile

Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
It’s a sickness and Civivi has definitely tapped into by offering so many variants. Smile

I usually like my knives to be able to easily cut a piece of paper, magazine page etc. by simply drawing the blade lightly across slivers.

Did they come with the SWAG? The cases and stickers/patches?

I may not be a neophyte but I certainly don’t know much about knives and steels etc. and I can’t hand sharpen for shit. Smile

Ok, just dragged the edge across a piece of paper from a note tablet, sliced right on through with light pressure. Yes, each came with a zippered case, two stickers, and a polishing cloth with logo.

I picked up a Work Sharp sharpener a while back and after learning it on a few Kershaws, I felt confident enough to to sharpen my ZT with it, piece of cake.

Amazon has 11% coupon on many models right now, I’m guessing by the end of the night I’m going to have another one or two on the way.

I’ve been thinking of picking up a Kizer Mini Sheepdog for a while just to have a clever style. Civivi has a “Mini Bullmastiff” Damascus/CF cleaver that looks pretty sweet and is in my cart on Amazon

Or maybe the “Anthropos”...

Who am I kidding, will probably end up with both Big Grin

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Your killing me with the Damascus. Smile

posted Hide Post
I ordered a OD Brigand after seeing this thread a couple days ago and checking Civivi out. It should arrive this weekend. I've got a real softspot for sheepsfoot/wharncliff blades. Only the price of the mid grade kershaws I normally use for EDC so even if only as good as those I'll be happy.

I've had a kizer Quell in my BladeHQ wish list for at least half a year, but didn't get around to getting it. Now it looks like I may not have to!

Civivi Brigand OD

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1744 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I did some looking at WE knives (the parent company/higher end).

HOLY SHIT THEY HAVE LIKE $600 knives.

Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I did some looking at WE knives (the parent company/higher end).

HOLY SHIT THEY HAVE LIKE $600 knives.

I started getting into blades last year, you can easily spend as much on a knife as on a gun.

Not a WE, but I dropped almost $600 on this Todd Begg last year (and that was with $195 discount Eek )

Damascus and Titanium

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I get that. I just wasn’t expecting a Chinese company to be selling $600 knives especially when the Civivi line goes for like 50-100 bucks.

That Begg is almost Klingon looking. I like it.

Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Anthropos arrived today, another fantastic blade for the price. Doesn’t completely deploy with a finger flip, but add a touch of wrist action and snaps in place in a flash.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Ok so personal ethics be damned I had to see what these were all about since I cannot generally find a truly negative thing said about them and they appear much nicer then my early cheap Kershaws / CRKTs that I have so sigh, it’s Christmas and my Bday and ...... monkey like shiny.

I ordered 3 to try out.

The WE Banter since Ben Peterson and I share pretty much the same ideas around EDC knives and I like blue too.

The Elementum copper/black. I like the patina and it has a steampunk vibe.

Appalachian Drifter in blue and Damascus. Looks like a pretty nice gentleman knife yet still has an abbreviated flipper.

If nothing else they will make for cheaper knives to stash around.

And I Hate you. Merry Christmas
Chris

Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Hey, BladeHQ just got a stock of limited Elementums and they are on sale....

I’m trying not to order the Satin D2 blade with Marble CF handles...

Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Got the scales swapped and clips/logos reversed for left hand carry.

Here is the result, a “custom” Baklash Damascus blade with Carbon fiber scales. It will be my new EDC for a while, giving the ZT 0770CM4 a much deserved break

Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Swapped clip and logo on the Anthropos as well...

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Just picked up an elementum. At first glance it seems like a well made and pretty knife.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7933 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have to say I am favorably impressed with the three products I have tried.

I really like the Elementum and the Appalachian Drifter is a neat/different kind of knife that is a great adult fidgit spinner so to speak.