SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    The Sharpening thread
Page 1 2 

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Sharpening thread Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
posted Hide Post
As an aside, I have to thank you for linking that video. It's instructive and helpful, and I went down the rabbit hole on his channel and wound up subscribing. I quite like his delivery; he's educational while entertaining and he comes up with some pretty great stuff.

Posts: 9481 | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
He's a really sweet guy (Tom Veff) and a Navy vet (Nam)
He will sharpen for you and sends a bandaid with his work! (You will need it)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: downtownv,

Columbia River Knife and tool Overstock Blow Out @ /below Dealer cost! 6 different $45 NEW MODELS ADDED!
HERE:
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums...350086644#3350086644

Posts: 6056 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWYIU1L_8vA

This is a very good video. Knowing what you are trying to do is the first step to doing it right. This video is also good about how to get there.

Adequate if overdramatic video. I do note that he's using a relatively inexpensive King 1000/6000 grit stone. No mention of removing the wire edge with cork or soft wood if you want a sharp but toothy edge. No mention of ways to maintain a proper angle, which sometimes is 15 and sometimes will be other angles and why.

I still recommend the Murray Carter videos. More detailed using the same stones........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 3667 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
Picture of Ronin101
posted Hide Post
the accent bothers me. Smile. I may have to buy the king stone and watch the videos!! Still battling health issues. so time is a bit stretched

Posts: 6665 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Here's most peoples problems with Stone Sharpening.
On many knives you don't have enough length on a stone for a smooth even and consistent Strop.
This result in an uneven edge or sharp spots/dull spots.

Columbia River Knife and tool Overstock Blow Out @ /below Dealer cost! 6 different $45 NEW MODELS ADDED!
HERE:
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums...350086644#3350086644

Posts: 6056 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post