SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    New Steel ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Steel ? Login/Join 
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted
Any of you knife makers experimented with the MN65 steel from China? Looks like it's considered as a 1095 equialent . Found it while perusing the Kershaw section in the 67 hardware site
http://www.tactical-life.com/t...bon-steel-contender/

Posts: 4409 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It has less carbon than 1095. And more carbon than 1040. It is similar to 1566, but with a little silicon, which is usually added as a de-oxidixer, but which can help with wear resistance, too.

It should be similar to the other medium carbon, non-stainless steels like the ones I mentioned. Good for toughness, and perhaps a little harder than some of the others like it. Of course, as with any steel, it is really all in the heat treat. A great steel can be heat treated badly and be worthless. And something as plebian as 440C can make a really fine knife.

Good for a sword, chopper, or other hard use knife. Nothing spectacular, but it should be a good performer.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I may have to play with it! I really like 1095 or 01 if moisture isn't an issue!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
65Mn Steel Composition: 0.62-0.7C 0.9-1.2Mn 0.17-0.37Si

Too low carbon to be "high carbon" steel like 1095, or even 1084.

This is a medium-high carbon steel with more manganese than 1095. If you're forging, it might make some sense but 1084 I would think may "easier" for all the HT steps (normalizing, quench and tempering).

If someone here uses that Chinese steel, a range report would be highly appreciated. Feedback always welcome.

If doing stock removal, I'd stick with true high carbon steels (> 0.7% C). Frankly, I've done a lot of O1 tool steel recently and really like it for thin blades i.e. Kitchen/Chef's knives. Also, I've done some very thin hollow grinds which O1 seems to work very well.

Below is one I made from 1095 with a variety of features, 8.5" blade, brass bolsters and pommel, matched Madrona Burl, Variable edge geometry (incls. distal taper) and mosaic pins:

And this one I made is O1 tool steel on a 3" blade; more EDC, skinner type. This is my own personal knife in Honduran Rosewood. O1 (any high carbon steel) makes for hair poppin' sharp! 2nd photo is 14x via iPhone and jewelers loop - lol.

Here is O1 with a hollow grind (buckeye burl- stabilized scales), with mosaic pins to match:

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Great looking work there

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
Great looking work there

Thank you sybo - let us know if you get a hold of that steel and play with it!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post