SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Swat Team Prototype! Batch to heat treat!! NOW WITH MORE NEW PICS!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swat Team Prototype! Batch to heat treat!! NOW WITH MORE NEW PICS!! Login/Join 
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted
I have a friend who runs the SWAT for a Middle Tenn agency. The group of guys want a knife for their team! This is an idea I had on my own, we meet this Sunday morn for a breakfast meeting. I know at this time it is not a complete knife, but I think you get the idea. It is 5/32” D2 steel! What says ye? If this is something that’s not for them, we’ll go from there and I’ll probably keep it!! https://imgur.com/a/PoQm4
https://www.flickr.com/gp/62799265@N02/Rx1s9x

I REALLY like this blade!!UPDATEDUPDATED

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sybo,

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I like the looks and size of it. Something utilitarian, not overly "tactical". Looking forward to the finished piece.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Yes, can't wait to see the finished product. If the SWAT guys don't want them, you may have a market here.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the blade shape. Very similar to 2 of my favorites the Fallkniven F1 and the Bravo from Bark River.

I personally would much prefer that the spine would be squared off on top all the way up for striking fire steels and other scraping tasks. Adds one more use for the knife. But on the other hand your users may have a reason for not wanting it that way............dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I like the shape of the blade also. Do look forward to seeing the finished piece.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Yours looks good, and I’m sure they provided input on the design, but FWIW, other SWAT/tactical police like something more specialized for their missions that might involve more than just heavy chopping. Based on guidance I originally received, I chose the Gerber LMF. The handle is nonslip and the glass breaker/“skull crusher” end is insulated from the blade if one cuts a live electrical wire either intentionally or by accident. The serrated portion of the blade can also be more suited for cutting certain materials.

I read one review of the LMF, though, that it wasn’t as rugged as it could be, so if I could find something with the above features, but less likely to fail if abused, I might buy one.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The Gerber LMF is a great choice for an inexpensive, commercial "hard use" knife.

My LMF II gets more use than any of my other large fixed blade knives. And it has held up well to a decent amount of use/abuse.

Posts: 32427 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
This once again is a prototype, just something I came up with. I’m sure they’re going to have lots of input this is just to start the ball rolling! At that point will talk about steel types scale materials etc. y’all know how it is.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I like the idea; I am not a SWAT guy, but I do have a bunch of fixed blade knives and have some thoughts on it.

I would like a slight drop point, which puts the center of effort closer to the center of the handle and reduces the curve of the blade, and I would like only a partial grind, rather than a full grind, which although it makes the knife heavier overall, also gives greater blade strength and less blade flexibility. To reduce burden and improve the point, part of the drop point can be false sharpened.

I would also consider a glass breaker at the pommel. If you want to be both tactical and clever, you could sneak a bottle opener into the glass breaker stud, but that would depend on whether these are to be only working "uniform" knives, or if the guys want a little bit of "morale" built into them.

Very nice. I really like your stuff. It's right sized, and functional. I hope this comes together for you and the team.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would like a slight drop point

This!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I can see a slight drop point also, I really can’t wait to see what these guys are looking for!!

Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
I like the design, it reminds me of knife I own(TRC TR-13).

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Ok, met with the team yesterday morning for our breakfast meeting, and what a great group of guys! We will add a mod here and there. The drop point mod was not that important to them, but jimping, and swedge tweaking seem to be in order. OD Canvas Micarta scales and OD green kydex. We are gonna go with 5/32” CPM-154 steel also, yea, beefcake!! Pics as we go!! Stay tuned!

Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
What's the advantage of the CPM-154 over the D2?

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
That's going to be a robust knife! OD Canvas is one of my favorite handle materials, if it's OK use red liners. I'm sure it will have a lanyard provision, in the handle or external with some purpose?

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
What's the advantage of the CPM-154 over the D2?

The big one is corrosion resistance. I could see this being a knife a SWAT guy would want to leave rigged up on their gear and not have to wipe down with oil on a regular basis.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Waiting on materials!! I’ll post “work in progress” pics as we go. It will be fun gents!

Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
Waiting on materials!! I’ll post “work in progress” pics as we go. It will be fun gents!

So how many extras are you going to produce? Just saying....

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
You gonna acid wash or stamp badge numbers on? Anything like that?

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
We are deliberating at this moment, trying to do cost factoring. It all adds up!!