SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Switchblade knives would be legal in Michigan under new bill
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Switchblade knives would be legal in Michigan under new bill Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Woohoo! Big Grin

My Benchmade 9100 Stryker Auto can finally come out of the closet...er safe. Wink

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
October 10 is the date.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of porterdog
posted Hide Post
But what about preemption? Living in the D-zone and having done some research I believe that the local patchwork of law/jurisdictional variation could still jam a good man up, no?

Is your government serving you?

Posts: 1271 | Location: Detroit (Rock City!) | Registered: September 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by porterdog:
But what about preemption? Living in the D-zone and having done some research I believe that the local patchwork of law/jurisdictional variation could still jam a good man up, no?

There is no knife preemption in Michigan so you are legally correct. Never heard of local knife ordinances being enforced when they were contrary to state law though so I wouldn't worry too much.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I do not know if Dearborn is still like it was, but you used to be unable to carry pocket knives, even ones with three inch or shorter blades.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Pretty much everyone I know carries a pocket knife. and pretty much all of them don't waste a second worrying about what the local knife laws are. How many people driving down I-94 get off the highway and go around Dearborn because they have a 2 blade Case Trapper model in their pocket? Like Zero.

I'm not giving it a moments thought.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of porterdog
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. For those playing along at home (in other states) we're saddled with this gem at the state level:

"Any person who, with intent to use the same unlawfully against the person of another, goes armed with a pistol or other firearm or dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or knife having a blade over 3 inches in length, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument, shall be guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than 5 years or by a fine of not more than 2,500 dollars."

So... it's pretty much run whatcha brung so long as you've no "intent to use the same unlawfully against the person of another..." WTF, over?

Is your government serving you?

Posts: 1271 | Location: Detroit (Rock City!) | Registered: September 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So... it's pretty much run whatcha brung so long as you've no "intent to use the same unlawfully against the person of another..." WTF, over?

Yes that particular statute is not worded very well. Luckily it is also not used very often. Typically if you actually use a weapon to assault someone you will just be charged with the assault itself.

Edited to clarify - I think it would be very difficult to prove that charge on it's own without the person actually following through and committing the actual assault.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Palm,

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Thankfully Tennessee recently did away with most Blade related nonsense.
http://www.knifeden.com/knife-laws-in-tennessee/

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
October 10th, folks ! Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I believe it is technically 10/11/17

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
It is the tenth. The old law expires at midnight on the ninth was how it was explained to me Smile

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/...ectName=mcl-750-226a

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Jeepers, never gonna get here Frown

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
Jeepers, never gonna get here Frown

Less than a week away. Smile

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Counting the days. Thanks for clarifying the date.

Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
Looks like Wednesday will be the big day! Dug-out my MOD 'Pointman'. Yowser!

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 758 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Is it today ? ? ? Big Grin

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Yes sir!

Carrying my Benchmade Auto Stryker legally!

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Yippee ! ! !

Congrats Big Grin