SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Switchblade knives would be legal in Michigan under new bill
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Switchblade knives would be legal in Michigan under new bill Login/Join 
Member
Picture of eTripper
posted
I'm hoping this passes, it's about time we catch-up to everyone else. Current law is anachronistic, and repressive.

http://www.mlive.com/news/inde...ves_would_be_le.html


__________________________

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch
 
Posts: 394 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I'd say this has more than a chance of passing. Rick Jones is a former Sheriff and is good at getting things out of committee.

If it does, I'm on a fast track to owning an OTF. Just because I can.


__________________________
Writing the next chapter that I've been looking forward to.
 
Posts: 10409 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
I'd say this has more than a chance of passing. Rick Jones is a former Sheriff and is good at getting things out of committee.

If it does, I'm on a fast track to owning an OTF. Just because I can.


How will this effect all the City/Municipalities ordinances?
 
Posts: 531 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
If it does, I'm on a fast track to owning an OTF. Just because I can.

100% with you.

Always wanted a Microtech Halo, Benchmade Infidel, HK Tumult/Turmoil. Plus the standard flip autos...

This could get expensive.
 
Posts: 5338 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I've been hoping for this for years. If it passes I'm going to celebrate with a Microtech. I find it ridiculous that the state of Michigan allows me to carry a pistol concealed, yet I could be in serious trouble for carrying a 3" butterfly knife.




Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

 
Posts: 589 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
After reading more I see that my 3" butterfly knife would still be illegal to carry. I guess I'll be happy for anything we can get.




Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

 
Posts: 589 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I'll keep my blades crossed for luck Smile



pardon any typos...fat fingers and smart phones don't always play well together
 
Posts: 2215 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggertreat:
How will this effect all the City/Municipalities ordinances?


This bill simply repeals the current switchblade statute. There is currently no state preemption for weapons other than firearms. So the answer to your question is, it will do nothing.

I do think it's passage would cause many municipalities to fall in line with state law, either by changing their ordinances or choosing not to enforce them.
 
Posts: 713 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
quote:
Originally posted by triggertreat:
How will this effect all the City/Municipalities ordinances?


This bill simply repeals the current switchblade statute. There is currently no state preemption for weapons other than firearms. So the answer to your question is, it will do nothing.

I do think it's passage would cause many municipalities to fall in line with state law, either by changing their ordinances or choosing not to enforce them.


It's going to require some form of pre-emption. At least to overcome those municipalities that will continue to prosecute under local ordinances. We went through/continue to battle local units that believe they can make their own rules on firearms regardless. I can't see there will be any difference in regards to edged weapons.

That said, I've finally just quit worrying about local ordinances regarding edged weapons. I usually carry three knives on my person. I follow what state law says I can and can't carry. Far too many local units and too many different rules for each I can't foresee.

I may get jammed up someday. But there's lots of other laws I'm sure I break.


__________________________
Writing the next chapter that I've been looking forward to.
 
Posts: 10409 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
quote:
Originally posted by triggertreat:
How will this effect all the City/Municipalities ordinances?


This bill simply repeals the current switchblade statute. There is currently no state preemption for weapons other than firearms. So the answer to your question is, it will do nothing.

I do think it's passage would cause many municipalities to fall in line with state law, either by changing their ordinances or choosing not to enforce them.


It's going to require some form of pre-emption. At least to overcome those municipalities that will continue to prosecute under local ordinances. We went through/continue to battle local units that believe they can make their own rules on firearms regardless. I can't see there will be any difference in regards to edged weapons.

That said, I've finally just quit worrying about local ordinances regarding edged weapons. I usually carry three knives on my person. I follow what state law says I can and can't carry. Far too many local units and too many different rules for each I can't foresee.

I may get jammed up someday. But there's lots of other laws I'm sure I break.


When WI legalized automatics, they wrote preemption into the bill so that this kind of shit would come to an end.

There was much rejoycing.




Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.
 
Posts: 15652 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
The federal KOPA [Knife Owners Protection Act] of 2017 has, also been introduced in the HR.

http://www.kniferights.org/KOPAFAQ2017.pdf


__________________________

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch
 
Posts: 394 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Passed the Senate today. House and Governor to go.
 
Posts: 713 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Not only passed but only ONE no vote.

Looks very promising. If you live in Michigan, call your state rep Monday and ask them to support this when it comes up for a vote in the House.


__________________________
Writing the next chapter that I've been looking forward to.
 
Posts: 10409 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
SB 245 also passed the House Judiciary Committee by a vote of 9 to 1. This measure has been endorsed by the Michigan State Police.

"Existing knife laws in Michigan create an outdated legal construct that unnecessarily limits the ability of Michiganders to carry an automatic knife for daily work and recreational activities. While the Michigan Penal Code rightfully limits the possession of knives by an individual with criminal intent (Michigan Compiled Laws (M.C.L.) Section 750.226(1)), law-abiding, well intentioned Michiganders such as tradesmen, hunters, hikers, farmers, ranchers, and campers risk arrest simply by possessing an automatic knife."


SB 245 will strike section 226(a), making it legal to carry knives wherein “the blade or blades of which can be opened by the flick of a button.”


__________________________

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch
 
Posts: 394 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
In a surprise move passed in both and headed for Snyder's desk.
 
Posts: 531 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
So excited ! Big Grin

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Waiting, waiting, waiting... Wink




Frank

Dogs are gifts from God, full of love. Save a life, adopt!

…and God made dogs, and it was very good, and God said: “I’m gonna have to have all of these back.” Genesis 1, gospel according to Mr. Monkey ✡

NRA Patron Life Member (Feb. 2017) Big Grin

私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです!
 
Posts: 2560 | Location: too near debt-riot, mitch-e-gan | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggertreat:
In a surprise move passed in both and headed for Snyder's desk.


And Snyder is out of country so this would be a great chance for Calley to get some Pro self defense chops.

If this gets signed and any of you Michigan peeps are interested in an auto, I'm going to offer to sell you anything from the lines we have available through my store at my cost plus actual shipping for the first 30 days after it goes into effect.


__________________________
Writing the next chapter that I've been looking forward to.
 
Posts: 10409 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Hi Brad,

Thank you! That is extremely kind and generous Smile

Please sign me up and let's also please talk again about the dishwasher Big Grin

We just today replaced the Whirlpool Cabrio Platinum washing machine under the fourth year of an extended 5 year warranty - luckily ! Cool

My wife happened to mention that the POC dishwasher that came with the house is becoming more and more annoying, so maybe it's good timing Wink

We are both very appreciative of your very kind help recommending a replacement, when the POC fridge that came with the house failed.

Really appreciate your very kind offer - thanks Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ersatzknarf,




Frank

Dogs are gifts from God, full of love. Save a life, adopt!

…and God made dogs, and it was very good, and God said: “I’m gonna have to have all of these back.” Genesis 1, gospel according to Mr. Monkey ✡

NRA Patron Life Member (Feb. 2017) Big Grin

私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです!
 
Posts: 2560 | Location: too near debt-riot, mitch-e-gan | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
quote:
Originally posted by triggertreat:
In a surprise move passed in both and headed for Snyder's desk.


And Snyder is out of country so this would be a great chance for Calley to get some Pro self defense chops.

If this gets signed and any of you Michigan peeps are interested in an auto, I'm going to offer to sell you anything from the lines we have available through my store at my cost plus actual shipping for the first 30 days after it goes into effect.


Awesome offer Brad! I was just browsing the internet today to figure out what to get when this is signed (fingers crossed)!
 
Posts: 713 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I've been eyeing a Microtech OTF in anticipation.

Are double edge still verboten? I don't recall it addressing anything but autos.
 
Posts: 5338 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Switchblade knives would be legal in Michigan under new bill

© SIGforum 2017