SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Favorite paring knife
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite paring knife Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I'm looking for a nice quality paring knife. A good knife that's decent quality at a decent price.

I was visiting my mother and asked her "Which knife are you using, the most often?". Her answer was "The paring knife". She takes good care of knives but a $300 knife won't impress her. I'm thinking 3"-4" and under $100.

Thoughts?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My bride is very fond of a $10 Victorinox parer, in spite of the cheap price. Amazon sells 'em.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is my "favorite" Paring knife:

http://www.wusthof.com/product...n/3-1-2-paring-knife

For general knock around in the drawer knife take the foil off a wine bottle etc. I have a couple of the $10 Victorinox Parers that I use a lot.

I tend to save the IKON for serious cooking. It's a little stiffer and has a great handle. I also really like the IKON 10" chefs knife. With those two and a good serrated blade you've got all you need for 95% of your cooking...........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Victorinox paring knife very hard to beat.
Only knife I have that I wash in the dishwasher.
Buy 2 or 3.

Posts: 93 | Registered: April 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Have to agree with the Victorinox paring knives. Wife gave me 4 a couple years ago and they do get used.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
My bride is very fond of a $10 Victorinox parer, in spite of the cheap price. Amazon sells 'em.

Those Victorinox knives are good and super cheap.

Mercer makes some nice forged knives at lower prices than the German knife makers.

https://www.amazon.com/Mercer-...=mercer+paring+knife

Wusthof makes a good knife, but I'm not sure it is 3 times the knife the Mercer is.

https://www.amazon.com/W%C3%BC...eywords=paring+knife

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
This is my "favorite" Paring knife:

http://www.wusthof.com/product...n/3-1-2-paring-knife

For general knock around in the drawer knife take the foil off a wine bottle etc. I have a couple of the $10 Victorinox Parers that I use a lot.

I tend to save the IKON for serious cooking. It's a little stiffer and has a great handle. I also really like the IKON 10" chefs knife. With those two and a good serrated blade you've got all you need for 95% of your cooking...........dj

I love the look, feel, and performance of the Wusthof Ikon series. When they first came out I purchased a set. Of the 10 or so knives that I bought (8" chef, 7" santoku, 3.5" paring, 6" utility, 4 steak knives, serrated bread knife, carving knife), 7 of them eventually had problems with cracks in the resin handles. Of course, they have a lifetime warranty for manufacturer defects, and the ones with issues were all replaced free, minus shipping. Always hand washed; I don't even own a dishwasher. I still love them and would buy again. It's just something to be aware of.

Posts: 248 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: January 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Funny enough, the Victorinox is the one she has beaten to death.
I ordered her the Mercer to try. We'll see what she thinks.

Thanks, everyone.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Mercer makes some nice forged knives at lower prices than the German knife makers.

Wusthof makes a good knife, but I'm not sure it is 3 times the knife the Mercer is.

That Mercer knife does look like a steal at that price. It's cheap enough that I ordered one for a travel set. Also ordered one of the Swedish steel models too. :-)

posted Hide Post
Over the years I have bought 4 or 5 Opinel paring knives. They are inexpensive without screaming out cheap like I th8nk the Victorinox paring knives look. I get the stainless (inox) kind. Take a good edge. Very nice for the price.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
We've used one like this for the last 20 years, it's awesome.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
Old Hickory.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
https://www.williams-sonoma.co...3-inch-paring-knife/

Most used knife in my kitchen. I also have the Victorinox. I bought a set for my wife to use (she's rough on knives) and for the money they are fantastic.

They can't hang with the Wusthof though.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Victorinox and Henkels are my go to parers.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Mein:

Posts: 4022 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thanks. I ordered one of these Mercers. Looks like it may be a dandy.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks. I ordered one of these Mercers. Looks like it may be a dandy.

I just got my Mercer today. It IS a Dandy. It's pretty much a Wustof with a Delrin handle. Nicely made, took a great edge and feels excellent in hand. I'll be be doing food prep with it tonight. Looks to be an outstanding deal.

Thanks again jhe888 for the original recommendation.

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
The Mercer is really nice!
My only slight disappointment is that I thought it was made in America from German steel. Almost.
It's made in Taiwan from German steel. Better than China.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:
Mein:

My favorite as well. I have three of them. You will not find a better paring knife IMHO.

CW

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
Actually, a fairly good brand of 'paring-knife' comes from of all places, Brazil. The brand name is Tramontina. Most places that carry kitchenware stock them. Inexpensive, and fairly decent quality.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post