SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Ever wonder who buys those crappy knives from TV?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever wonder who buys those crappy knives from TV? Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted
You know, the Frost Cutlery knives where you get 3000 for 5 bucks? The ones that include 9 Delta Rangers and 27 Recon Eagles and 97 SEAL commanders?

I won't lie, I have thought about it once or twice. Well apparently my recently deceased great uncle did more than think about it. He went all in. When my dad was cleaning his garage out he found thousands of knives. He asked me if I wanted any and I told him that I would love to take a look so last time he came down he brought a couple totes worth. I knew the knives were going to be cheap but I was not prepared for the absolute garbage that showed up. But I took a few pics before I chucked them in the garbage can last night.

Enjoy!

the names have always been my favorite part. Fire Warrior?

Some of the "high end" display knives:

And finally here is an image showing just how dull these knives are. You can see this one pressed pretty firmly into my fat thumb. This wa as hard as I could squeeze the knife into my thumb and it didn't even leave a mark.

So there you have it. If you are like me and ever sat up drunk at 2am watching Kinfe Show on ine of the home shopping networks and thought about laying down a few bucks for a box full of knives; don't.

Literally the dollar bills you would use have a greater chance of cutting you than the knives you would buy with them.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I would have worked out a disguise and taken those to a gun show jerky and nazi memorabilia show to sell. Just for the hell of it.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I would have worked out a disguise and taken those to a gun show jerky and nazi memorabilia show to sell. Just for the hell of it.

Big Grin

I did ask around town at some gas stations since most around here sell those cheap knives but none were interested. I considered trying to dump them online but in the end figured it wasn't worth the hassle. I couldn't bring myself to charge any real money for these.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I would have a hard time throwing something like that away...just because it once had value to someone.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Maybe a art project?
I agree they did mean something to a close relative, there is value there.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
I would have a hard time throwing something like that away...just because it once had value to someone.

I get what you are saying but I don't think these meant anything to him. Almost all of them were still in orginal boxes and stored in his garage. He probably hadn't seen them since he ordered them. He was kind of a hoarder who bought a lot of stuff online or off TV because it was cheap. Not because it was good quality or because he even needed it. And you can't keep everything.

Anyway the relationship is complicated and he had fell out with most of the family by the time he passed. It was his choice. Most of the family tried our best to help him but he didn't want it. In the end he was just a bad person who happened to be related to us.

posted Hide Post
If you can still recover them from the trash, think about donating them to a local scout troop. A friend is a scout leader and often kids come to camp without a knife, break them or lose them frequently, and those dull blades would be great for teaching sharpening skills

Posts: 3269 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
If you can still recover them from the trash, think about donating them to a local scout troop. A friend is a scout leader and often kids come to camp without a knife, break them or lose them frequently, and those dull blades would be great for teaching sharpening skills

I'd thought about something like that, but honestly I was afraid the knife would break and be more of a danger. If used hard at all I think either the shitty blade or the plastic handles would break. They also barely locked open.

I did try sharpening one and it really didn't take an edge. I suppose that would have been a decent use for them but I really felt it was better to just trash them. I think you'd be better with no knife at all than one of these.

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Hey, I have a tub kind of like that. Beyond full to the brim, the lid won't even balance on top. But they have brand names. Most are Randall, with some Gil Hibben custom and a few others. I told my oldest just the other day to grab them when I die so his mother won't pitch them.

I did a better job of piling them in. Only 1 that I'm sure came in a box. The rest must be second hand stuff. Still worth $500 or more each. About once a year I dig into them just to remind myself what I'd hoarded. Not to keep me from buying duplicates because I'd still buy another if the price seemed right and I had the money.

The world is filled with 2 distinct groups of people. Those of us who worship clutter and those who hate it. I'm a clutter guy, the OP here is a hater.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:

I was an assistant scoutmaster, and I don't think they want them. They are truly junk knives. And troops already have storage problems.

These have no value. Scrap steel at best. Despite their connection to half-crazy uncle.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could make a killing at the flea market

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
You could have just dumped them in the hood and let Darwin do the rest.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
You could have just dumped them in the hood and let Darwin do the rest.

Big Grin

Best answer yet Smile