SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Anyone carry a neck knife?

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone carry a neck knife? Login/Join 
Finding the
sweet spot
posted
I work in health care and can't carry a firearm, so I've been toying with the idea of carrying a neck knife.

I always wear an under armor or similar sort of t-shirt under my scrubs and I don't think concealing a neck knife will be problematic.

Does anyone carry a knife this way on a regular basis? I've got a couple different knives I could use for this, my Chris Reeves Professional Soldier is the leading contender right now. Id be interested to hear the thoughts and opinions of the Forum. Thanks!
Sean

------------------------------------------
Just because you can, doesn't mean
you should.

Posts: 902 | Location: KCMO | Registered: September 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I have tried; however, i am very "short waisted" and it really doesn't carry well for me.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 21271 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you should find out whether a fixed blade is legal at your work and also in the city you live.
Neck knives can be pretty useful, but unless they are really small and benign looking, they're going to draw unwanted attention where I live, as they have to be carried visible (open carry of fixed blades is legal where I live, but NOT concealed, and my work forbids either open or concealed fixed blade carry).

Posts: 92 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Finding the
sweet spot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I tried it around the house today and i didn't care for it like I thought I would.

Sean

you should.

Posts: 902 | Location: KCMO | Registered: September 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I've EDC'd a HAK for years and years. Owner of the site is a tad (no a lot) eccentric. They conceal incredibly well.

Posts: 10086 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
Picture of Pale Horse
posted Hide Post
I never could get used to them. The weight of the knife pulled the chain to tightly around the side of my neck for my comfort. I mean it was barely pulling but I hated the way it felt and never got used to it.

Georgia Carry Member Calguns Foundation Member Second Amendment Foundation Member NRA Lifetime Member

Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets. -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 11674 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I have an ESEE Candiru setup for neck carry using paracord as the hanger and an Ozarks neck sheath from dosborn. It's light and thin (no scales) and I enjoy carrying it when I'm not in the mood for a pocket carry. I have a large square-knot lanyard that helps make the grip feel longer while keeping the rigid profile to a minimum. Everything is tan so it blends a bit better, as well.

It usually sits under my shirt on my bare chest, about nipple-height. Being overweight means it pretty much disappears. If I need it for utility I fish it out of the neck hole and wear it outside until finished. I haven't practiced an expedient draw from the bottom, I imagine that would be easy to cut open your shirt, or chest/stomach, or support arm. And the Candiru isn't really a defensive knife.

I have a nickel allergy so a stainless ball-chain gives me irritation. The wider paracord feels lighter than using a metal chain as well. It just needs to be hit with a little flame to help seal the fabric so it doesn't fuzz or grab at my chest hair.

Posts: 5179 | Location: Rochester Hills, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Finding the
sweet spot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
I never could get used to them. The weight of the knife pulled the chain to tightly around the side of my neck for my comfort. I mean it was barely pulling but I hated the way it felt and never got used to it.

I had the same feeling. I've never tolerated having my stethoscope around my neck, I don't know what possessed me to think I'd like carrying a knife this way. Good to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. On the other hand, may be I should give it another try. One day schlumphing around the house really isn't an adequate field test.
Sean

you should.

Finding the
sweet spot
posted Hide Post
Rustspot, I tried paracord first, I may try it again a time or two to see if I can get more used to it. I appreciate the advice, thanks!

you should.

Finding the
sweet spot
posted Hide Post
Appliance Brad, I've looked at the HAK online a few times, but haven't convinced myself to buy one yet. I do think it's a cool idea.
Sean

you should.

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevo1967:
Rustspot, I tried paracord first, I may try it again a time or two to see if I can get more used to it. I appreciate the advice, thanks!

Paracord is harder to hide, ball chain is almost invisible and at worst can be passed off as a religious medal or medic alert. I use a Ti ball chain from Tisurvival . Aluminum ball chain rots out on my skin. I've tried putting a paracord sheath over it, it still rots, just slower and it doesn't conceal very well.

I put a Photon white light on my HAK sheath. That way I always have a knife and a light. You have to remember to put the HAK outside of your t-shirt so you can reach under your outer shirt/scrubs to draw it.

As an aside, if you have not already, look into some edged weapons training. You don't need to be a knife fighter but if you are carrying a blade for a primary defensive weapon you should get in a workshop or two.

Posts: 10086 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sacramento Johnson:
I think you should find out whether a fixed blade is legal at your work and also in the city you live.
Neck knives can be pretty useful, but unless they are really small and benign looking, they're going to draw unwanted attention where I live, as they have to be carried visible (open carry of fixed blades is legal where I live, but NOT concealed, and my work forbids either open or concealed fixed blade carry)

Oh? care to maybe expound on that?

The philosophy of protectionism is a philosophy of war. - Ludwig von Mises
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DhagKyvDck

Posts: 6565 | Location: Live from the high desert and the great American southwest! | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
You'd be surprised how easy it is to conceal an XDS in a belly band under scrubs.

An ankle holstered knife might be a better option than the neck.

Or, you could always carry a fag bag and hide it in there. Big Grin

"How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy." Winston Churchill

Posts: 11639 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Finding the
sweet spot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies! I've toyed with the idea of keeping a gun in a bag, that's going to be about the only way I could. I'm changing into scrubs in a locker room with lots of other guys, so a belly band isn't going to go over well. Thanks for all the advice and ideas.
Sean

you should.

Go ahead punk, make my day
Picture of RHINOWSO
posted Hide Post
If you can't tolerate a neck knife, maybe consider an ankle 'holster / safe' that Galco and some others make for magazines / badges / cuffs - it would at least allow you to have the knife on you - while not a fast draw, it's better than harsh language. If you wear longer socks you could likely put it under them, just saw your locker room commment for changing.

read what you want
watch what you want
play what you want
think what you want
say what you want

Posts: 34043 | Location: Around | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post