SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Anyone with a Spyderco Military
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone with a Spyderco Military Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted
Who can post a picture of one in the hand. For scale?

Thanks.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Paul Manning on YouTube just posted a video of him with the new M4 Military, with the Paramilitary for scale. If I was able, at the moment, it would be the Military I picked up. His vids get a bit wordy though. I don't think he even shows the knife until a minute and a half into the vid.

I really wanna play with CPM-M4.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm definitely getting another Military. My only complaint was the G10 shredded my jeans where I carry it in my right front pocket.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

I really wanna play with CPM-M4.

Me too.

And thanks, the video was perfect to gauge the size.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
You're welcome.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
The Military is a big one.
I've got what I think are bigger hands, but it makes my hands feel small.
Mine was a sprint-run with CPM CRU-WEAR steel and gray G10.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I am real fond of the Military, it is one of my favorite knives.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several (no pictures handy), though less than the post above. I've given them away to spouse, kids, friends. Great knives.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I carry a Military most of the time. It's large but fits well in the right leg pocket on my 5.11 Taclite pants/shorts. Mine was a gift and has the orange G10/S30V blade.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I have carried one damned near every day for the past 10 years, it is long but very thin and lite.

I have not bought another EDC for years...because it has been great.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I have one Spyderco Military #C36 plain edge CPM440V that was a gift from Spyderco CEO Sal Glesser in January 1999.

During a later visit to Golden he gave me a #SP3002STC G-2 Tie ClipIt with stag handle. Neat item worn with a suit and tie! Smile Pictures can be found in my thread here: http://www.bladeforums.com/thr...i-spydercos.1273465/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Warning: another "celeb" story...

My first Spyderco Military had a serial# on the blade as one of the original run of this model. It was sold to me by the the founder of Bladetech; Tim Wegner.

Back story:
I first met Tim in the mid 80’s at a Washington Arms Collectors gun show at the Western WA State Fairgrounds, Puyallup WA. He had a table with his handmade/homemade kydex knife sheaths. I had him make a sheath for a custom knife I had bought at the show. He said if, I had the time, he would make it for me after the show. He lived just up the hill from the Puyallup show grounds. His “factory” was his 2-car garage and his main piece of manufacturing equipment was an old toaster oven! Over the years Tim made several knife and gun holsters for me. I still have several with his hand inscribed description and symbol.

As he got better known in the kydex knife sheath makers community knife companies would send him free examples of their new stuff to see what he could make for them. Tim used these knives for prototype sheaths he sent back to the manufacturers. Almost all of the various maker’s knives given to Tim would have a two or three number serial# that was assigned to Tim. All the Spydercos sent to Tim had the same number.

After several years, and the size of his “factory”, Tim decided to make room by selling off these various numbered knives (all in PERFECT condidtion) at the local Puyallup monthly gun show. I started buying them on a regular basis. Reason #1 Tim sold them for a real good price and #2 after a while (of me being a regular customer) he would come over to my trade table and offer me the first pick of the latest bunch of knives he was going to sell at that show.

The Military was one of the Wegner numbered knives. I liked that one more than most I had bought from Tim and more than almost any of my other folders. I EDC that knife for at least 4 years before it had a problem. It had to do with the liner lock failing. No problem, I’ll just send it back to Spyderco. Great folks! Well they’re such good folks that they sent me a brand new Military!

I actually wanted to have my “Wegner” Military fixed. Spyderco just doesn’t have time to repair so…

Now, after close to 30 years, the replacement Military is still in the EDC rotation. It still is a great knife for bigger cutting chores, light & flat.

I still see Tim from time to time at SHOT Show or even an occasional summer WA Arms Collectors Show when I visit family in WA. I consider him a friend and he seems happy to see me.

Posts: 3997 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post