SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Thoughts on a Microtech UTX 85
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on a Microtech UTX 85 Login/Join 
posted
I know people have some of the Microtech OTF knives on here and have read other reviews about their knives and am wondering how good of quality they are. They are legal to own in my state and really want to get a decent otf knife. I have read many negative reviews about warranty,( issues with sending in a knife to get repaired and getting it back) and overall quality of the knives on some other knife forums. I will also be buying the knife from a Microtech distributor in order I don't get a fake. Anything to be concerned with on the UTX-85 knives? I like the overall size, which is why I am looking to get one. Also, most places seem to have a low stock on many models and I was looking at DLT Trading for the knife. Anyone have experience with that company/website? thanks.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
The UTX-85 is just about the perfect size for edc. The single handed open/close is also incredibly useful when your hands are full.

I have had an ultratech since 2008 and never had any issues that required warranty work. If you follow their guides for cleaning and oiling you shouldn’t have any serious issues. The recent complaints that I have seen revolve around them not wanting to ship directly to you unless you’re law enforcement. This is not unique to microtech and you can easily work around it by using any authorized dealer as an intermediary to ship it back.

I have ordered from DLT, Pvk.vegas, and customknivestx.com and never had any problems with any of them.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know many guys have the full size Ultratech on the board here but haven't heard much about the UTX-85. Thanks for the reply.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
Here is the Troodon (not combat), UTX-85, ultratech, and Dirac delta. The camera warps the image a little but they are all lined up with the glass breaker at the end of the paper. In terms of handle thickness the troodon is a little narrower, the rest are about the same.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
The utx-85 is a nice EDC size and many prefer it over the full size ultratech. I had a tan one and sold it to get a red one that has a double edge with serrated top. It looks mean and is functional at the same time. It’s the second from right in the pic below.

I order a lot from pvk.vegas as they have great customer service. Blade HQ is also a go-to at times.

I’ve used the warranty service a couple times over the years for misfiring on one of my old OTF’s and each time Microtech was excellent and I didn’t pay a dime. One of the times I could have just done the rem oil wash out myself though didn’t k own at the time. It works well if the internals get any debris or gummed up inside. That’s the thing with an OTF, they are a little more maintenance than a folder though worth it.

Funny thing I carry my crappy Lightning 90% of the time because I don’t care if it gets dinged up and it’s been about as reliable as my Microtechs for 1/6 the cost!

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I have a combat troodon, Ultratech, UTX 85, and a UTX 70. As an everyday carry knife the UTX 85 is a nice useful size. My UTXs both have single sided blades while the Ultratech and the combat troodon have double edge edge blades that don’t lend themselves to any sort of utility. If you want something beefier but not huge I’d suggest you look for the plain troodon.

Posts: 2949 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys have quite the collection,very nice. I find myself looking to buy knives now, more so than firearms. I don't know if it is the general progression of things but I have always wanted a nice knife like the Microtech knife brand. I am debating on what type of blade to get-double or single sided, tanto or standard or... Thanks for the replies. I definitely have the itch.

Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
You guys have quite the collection,very nice. I find myself looking to buy knives now, more so than firearms. I don't know if it is the general progression of things but I have always wanted a nice knife like the Microtech knife brand. I am debating on what type of blade to get-double or single sided, tanto or standard or... Thanks for the replies. I definitely have the itch.

My take on the blade type is the whole reason an OTF knife is cool is the the fact that it accommodates a double edged blade. The problem is a double edged blade is only good for defensive purposes. Which means you’ll end up with more than one. The utility of a single sided auto OTF knife is actually pretty nice.

Posts: 2949 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post