SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Thoughts on this Randall
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on this Randall Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted
I have never spent this kind of money on a knife, but found this knife to be particularly attractive.

https://agrussell.com/knife/Ra...a-Wood--RA-MGBTW4S-C

If I were to buy it, realistically, it will probably sit on a shelf, as a piece of art.

I have seen many different Gamblers, but this combination of wood, steel, brass and spacers is proportioned perfectly, IMO. The length and shape of the blade is perfect, at least to my eye.

And, AG Russell says they have it in stock.

Any thoughts, good or bad?

Thank you.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
That’s a pretty looking knife. If it pleases your eye and something you will enjoy then I’d say buy it.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Randall made knives are iconic. Well made, and have a very lengthy wait list.
They also hold their value pretty well.
Not a bad choice for a custom blade.

Posts: 616 | Location: West By God VA | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Good knife, as all Randall's are. If you go in with your eyes open, as you seem to have, it will make a great letter opener instead of a shelf warmer. Just keep it out of the hands of your wife. They see a knife and think "pry bar".

Every man needs a Randall. I buy mine used at gun shows. Call it "pre-damaged". I prefer buying from walk in customers, not dealers who know what things are worth.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If you like it, get it. They will always be saleable.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Randall: Been around and been proven to be good user knives. Many swear by them.

The Randall Gambler: Configured to be a good concealed carry companion. Concealment sheath with metal boot clip.

Randall 440B Steel: 440-series is generally considered to be the minimum starting point with many knife makers. Randall uses a lot of 440-series steels and have for a very long time. And as stated, Randall's are proven users and Randall's 440B has been found to be quite acceceptable . I think maybe with this Randall 440B, you can expect decent edge holding with maximal corrosion resistance and ease of sharpening ... and can likely be brought to hair popin' sharp with little effort (if you know how to sharpen a knife).

Thuya (burl) Wood: Some might say it has more class than any other wood out there. Just Gorgeous !!! Thuya Burl is an exotic wood that the Greeks named thuya, meaning sacrifice, because they used an oil distilled from it as incense in their religious ceremonies. Since it is an inherent oily wood to begin with, I think I'd use wax instead of any kind of oil on the handle ... if it needed anything at all.

$625 Price: This is subjective. All the glowing remarks above lead me to believe that like many Randall's before and since, this knife will be a gracious user that reveals no flaws. Maybe if we're lucky, a knife maker will chime in with thoughts strictly on material value, but I think you'd be paying many several hundred more than for wood, leather and steel alone. If you like it ... a lot ... you will likely find it a joy to carry and use. Me? ... I'd pass ... but that's me. Doesn't mean I don't like that knife for any particular reason other than price. I think the price says MUCH more to name, desirability and demand (which isn't a bad thing) than value.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A working knife in 440b steel and that wood would normally be worth maybe $100 to $125 on a good day. Is the Randall name on it worth another $500??

.......It IS to a lot of people.

If it's to look at and collect go for it.

If you want a knife to USE you can get better steel for far less from a less famous custom maker.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Guardian with Mircarta is the one I want.

That Gambler's a beauty.

Over the years I've spent more on foo foo coffee than I have on knives. If you like it and want it- Get it you deserve it. What else are you going to buy that'll still be here in a year or 10 and still be worth 80% of what you paid.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I say get it, it's not going to appreciatively decrease in value. It's really a great looking knife and there is nothing wrong with the materials, 440B and Brass are old school but that's OK.

One question I would have is about the aging of Thuya, does it darken over time? Ironwood definitely does, I've had the happen on a couple.

That Guardian is sweet, too, I'm a sucker for that Micarta.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Ask yourself how much you will miss that one if it sells. I had my eye on a Bark River Bowie that had a really nice wood handle, and it sold before I jumped on it. Still bummed about it.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you like it and have the extra coin, why not? Randalls usually keep their values for the most part.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Randalls usually keep their values for the most part.

Which don't?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't mean to infer a particular type, just prices in general compared to other makes and resale depending on the market.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Borrowed one for a cover photo. I wanted to keep it.

...not to mention THESE!

Posts: 3999 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
As always, fantastic pics!!!!

Thank you for sharing.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I shouldn’t have opened this thread.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
So there is a local shop that stocks Randsll's?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
A working knife in 440b steel and that wood would normally be worth maybe $100 to $125 on a good day. Is the Randall name on it worth another $500??

.......It IS to a lot of people.

If it's to look at and collect go for it.

If you want a knife to USE you can get better steel for far less from a less famous custom maker.

Not to put too fine a point on it - nonsense. 440B isn't the best steel, but it is still a handmade knife. No one can make a handmade knife of that quality for $125. They should use a better steel than 440B, which is why I never get a stainless Randall.

(But, to be honest, I bet 10% of the Randalls made in the last 30 years get regular use. Most are bought to be admired and collected.)

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
So there is a local shop that stocks Randsll's?

No, I wish there was a local AD. This is in stock at AG Russell Knives.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

posted Hide Post
I have a few.

Tim

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 686 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post