SIGforum
Made My First Knife This Week - Carbon Fiber Blade

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/340601935/m/1350023334

November 17, 2017, 11:59 AM
cmr076
Made My First Knife This Week - Carbon Fiber Blade
I posted about these knives a few months back. One of our employees makes them, this week I had him teach me his ways! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, it isn't 100% done yet, i Have a bit more sanding, then polishing, but it's getting there.. It's made from 100+ sheets of individually laid pre-preg carbon fiber, unfortunately you cant put a cutting edge on it, but it does get pretty stabby Razz

and here you can see the 100+ layers

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R
November 17, 2017, 01:10 PM
SIGnified
You could put serrations on the edge to get it to “cut” ... use a small grinder (Dremmel?) to cut them in a regular, repeating pattern. It’s a trick used all the time on crummy metal blades. Remember that serrations are usually only done on one side of the blade.

The other idea is to actually embed a piece of hardened steel (which you can put an edge on) in the carbon fiber/resin matrix. Then when you grind way to reveal the steel you can put an edge on it.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein
November 18, 2017, 04:42 AM
sybo
Who would have thunk? I say serrations also!!! What a cool project.
November 19, 2017, 08:53 PM
cmr076
Ohhhh. I like the serration idea! Never even crossed my mind!

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R
November 26, 2017, 08:56 AM
msfzoe
Cool.
Looks similar to a blade in "The Hunted" with Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio del Toro.
Well done.