SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Made My First Knife This Week - Carbon Fiber Blade
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Made My First Knife This Week - Carbon Fiber Blade Login/Join 
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted
I posted about these knives a few months back. One of our employees makes them, this week I had him teach me his ways! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, it isn't 100% done yet, i Have a bit more sanding, then polishing, but it's getting there.. It's made from 100+ sheets of individually laid pre-preg carbon fiber, unfortunately you cant put a cutting edge on it, but it does get pretty stabby Razz

and here you can see the 100+ layers

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
You could put serrations on the edge to get it to “cut” ... use a small grinder (Dremmel?) to cut them in a regular, repeating pattern. It’s a trick used all the time on crummy metal blades. Remember that serrations are usually only done on one side of the blade.

The other idea is to actually embed a piece of hardened steel (which you can put an edge on) in the carbon fiber/resin matrix. Then when you grind way to reveal the steel you can put an edge on it.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Who would have thunk? I say serrations also!!! What a cool project.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
Ohhhh. I like the serration idea! Never even crossed my mind!

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Cool.
Looks similar to a blade in "The Hunted" with Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio del Toro.
Well done.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post