SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Benchmade Repair Issue on Auto Open
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benchmade Repair Issue on Auto Open Login/Join 
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted
I have a auto open Benchmade Knife, S30V, that has a clip that will no longer stay secure in my pocket. A close look at the clip shows that it is sprung and needs to be replaced.

Although BM offers life time repair, it appears that it does not apply to auto open knives unless I meet some very tight guidelines which I do not, Link

Any suggestions on how to get the clip replaced? I did examine the clip and the screws appear to be to small for any of my tools to fit. I actually think they are hex screws but very small.

Any suggestions on repair?

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I had a habit of catching on something every so often with my daily. I finally found that it was a very small torx and I already had acquired it when repairing a laptop. From there it was a simple matter of clamping it gradually until it was aligned right again, then bolt it back on.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7233 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Benchmade will send you a new clip for free.From their website:
A. We are happy to send out replacement clips and screws; please be sure to provide us with an address to ship to and the model number of your knife (found under the logo on the front side of the blade). If you are unsure, you can send us an email via contact us by selecting “Warranty & Parts or LifeSharp” from the drop down menu. If any other parts are needed, we recommend our Product Service Department to service Benchmade knives for liability and warranty reasons. If you are having an issue with your knife purchased from Benchmade or from an authorized Benchmade dealer, please send it to us together with the required warranty service form at the address below, and we will check for warranty issues and replace any parts that are broken or not functioning. Attn: BKC, Inc. Attn: Repair, 300 Beavercreek Rd. Oregon City, OR 97045

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
I've had this happen as well, the result of catching on something or other- usually a seat belt.

If you can find the small Torx bit, it's a simple fix as magna mentioned above. Just take it off and carefully bend the mounting part of the tab back.

I'd rather go that route than sending it back, or requesting a new clip.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
I had a habit of catching on something every so often with my daily. I finally found that it was a very small torx and I already had acquired it when repairing a laptop. From there it was a simple matter of clamping it gradually until it was aligned right again, then bolt it back on.

83v45magna: You were 100% correct, it was a Torx screw, lucky I had a complete set from another project and it worked perfectly!! I crimped it back in place with my bench vise, a bit to much, but that will change over time.

imfrogman: Thanks for the quote from BM, I will take them up on that as well, thanks for finding that for me.

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
I had mine sent back in though a dealer (Sportsmans warehouse) and they fixed it no problem and sent it back to the dealer. Dealer charged me actual shipping is all.

Have done this 3 times.

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3172 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chris240
posted Hide Post

Posts: 644 | Location: Cedar Falls, IA | Registered: January 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
They are easy to bend back. But if you need a new on, BM will send you one. They are excellent about repair and replacing small parts.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post