SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Legality of Microtech Ultratech

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legality of Microtech Ultratech Login/Join 
Picture of dwd1985
posted
Wanting to get a Microtech Ultratech, but I am hazy on the laws. I live in Louisiana, and frequently travel to CO. Both states prohibit switch blades, but since these knives aren't quite switchblades, not sure if they are included under that umbrella. Can anyone shed some light?

EDIT: Looks like they are known as OTF (Out the Front) knives, but are classified as switchblades. Got the legality info from here: http://ravencresttactical.com/otf-knife-laws/

Looks like I cant own one here in LA. Surprising, because Microtech was entirely willing to sell me one when I contacted them.

Posts: 3073 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Also have to be careful about dual-edged knives.

For example I can own and carry an automatic here, but a dual edge is considered a dagger and not allowed to be carried.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 7013 | Location: DFW Metroplex, so large and wide! | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
"Switchblade" is a vague term, but I don't know what you mean by an Ultratech not quite being a switchblade. I think by most common understandings, an Ultratech is most definitely a switchblade.

Regardless of what you mean, Louisiana seems to prohibit the carry of an Ultratech. Here is the statute:

http://www.knifeup.com/louisiana-knife-laws/

Colorado's law seems to do the same:

http://www.knifeup.com/colorado-knife-law/

It isn't Microtech's business to monitor knife law compliance in Louisiana.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 42806 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
"Switchblade" is a vague term, but I don't know what you mean by an Ultratech not quite being a switchblade. I think by most common understandings, an Ultratech is most definitely a switchblade.

Regardless of what you mean, Louisiana seems to prohibit the carry of an Ultratech. Here is the statute:

http://www.knifeup.com/louisiana-knife-laws/

Colorado's law seems to do the same:

http://www.knifeup.com/colorado-knife-law/

It isn't Microtech's business to monitor knife law compliance in Louisiana.

I agree with your assessment about legality, but claiming that it isn't Microtek's business to monitor local laws is wholly inaccurate. Is it not Sigs business to know where they can and can't ship ARs and 30 round magazines?

Posts: 3073 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If it were illegal to ship knives to that locale, they damn well better monitor it. But with knives, the way the law is written, it is illegal to possess or carry them in Louisiana. Shipping them there is not the prohibited conduct. It isn't Michrotech's business to make sure you comply with Louisiana law against possession.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 42806 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of places make a distinction between "possessing" and "carrying". Nevada was one of those, until just recently you couldn't carry but you could own.

Bruce

Hanlon's Razor /prov./ A corollary of Finagle's Law, similar to Occam's Razor, that reads "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

"It is better to be considered a house cat and sit on the lap of pretty girls than to be feared as a tiger and hunted by men."- T. Takamatsu

Posts: 2068 | Location: NV | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
RNShooter is correct. Some states allow possession, but not carry. Louisiana and Colorado seem to make possession illegal.

Hey! I like stuff
posted Hide Post
I can posses that knife here in Virginia, but I sure as heck can't carry it with me. There is also extremely vague laws about fixed blade knives and concealed knives here. I can carry a fixed blade knife if the intended use is as a tool, but if it is for self defense purposes, illegal. Vague laws exist for a reason, for interpretation in a court of law.

Posts: 2693 | Location: Sterling, VA | Registered: July 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Strange laws are everywhere and the vagaries tend to be useful to prosecutors rather than defendants. Oddly even anti gun anti knife anti freedom New York has exceptions for carrying an auto knife while hunting or fishing

Posts: 1939 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
RNShooter is correct. Some states allow possession, but not carry. Louisiana and Colorado seem to make possession illegal.

Ironically, switchblades aside we can conceal any blade <3.5", fixed bladed daggers included.

laws are STUPID.

Posts: 3883 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post