SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    High-grade steel for chef's knife?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High-grade steel for chef's knife? Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by batpot:
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
There is NO such thing as a knife EDGE that is "dishwasher Safe".

You can wash your knives in the dishwasher or you can have knives that stay sharp you CAN'T have both!

I won't argue, but with virtually all knives under the $100 mark, the edge won't stay sharp anyway. That problem is solved by something this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073SCBGWC/

And they also don't chip.

Pull through sharpeners are harder on knives than dishwashers. At least that one isn't powered.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Perception, what are you using to sharpen CPMS35VN with? Sometimes iLIKE a “toothy” edge for certain tasks. But I am wondering if you might need to” smooth” out or purposely dull your blade and start sharpening with a higher grit and polish. A lot of guys take pride in reading the newspaper on a highly polished knife edge. I prefer to read the newspaper in the old fashion way, and use a knife to cut with.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
Perception, what are you using to sharpen CPMS35VN with? Sometimes iLIKE a “toothy” edge for certain tasks. But I am wondering if you might need to” smooth” out or purposely dull your blade and start sharpening with a higher grit and polish. A lot of guys take pride in reading the newspaper on a highly polished knife edge. I prefer to read the newspaper in the old fashion way, and use a knife to cut with.

Typically I just sharpen with a sharpmaker. If I need to do any re profiling I wrap the stones with a more aggressive sandpaper.

There are times I like a toothier edge as well, I just found I had a hard time getting to a smooth one on my admittedly small sample of CPMS35V.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I have the Cold Steel #59KSSET
https://www.coldsteel.com/kitc...ssics-knife-set.html
I sell them for $150 delivered ($269.99 list)
Sharp as hell allows the Blade to do all the work Great handles lifetime warranty.
You can spend a lot more but not get much better edges.
German 4116 Stainless Cryo Quenched, with Oak Wood Block included!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post