SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Of Pocket Clips and Lanyards, of Cabbages and Kings...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Of Pocket Clips and Lanyards, of Cabbages and Kings... Login/Join 
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted
Did a search for lanyards, but it didn't get me much of anywhere... Razz

Soliciting opinions and ideas, please.

Have been carrying a Kershaw 1955 (Showtime) for work as it is quite discreet and then my fav. ZT0450 (with a ZT0560 pocket clip for deep carry) at other times, but the Kershaw's clip is quite tough on pockets. Have pried up the clip, away from the knife body, which has helped.

When MI finally allowed us to have switchblades, Brad very kindly helped with getting a Benchmade MiniReflex II and it is awesome !

A little problem, however: it is only right handed and doesn't want to go into my left front pocket with the clip (got the "deep carry" clip offered by Benchmade, after Brad told me of it, but it unfortunately really isn't that deep and still exposes the top of the knife handle).

Well, at least these knives are not eating holes in my pants from G10 material being so abrasive, like my old Kershaw Wink

Anyway, recalled that Chris Reeve knives come with a clip and also a lanyard...

Is anyone using a lanyard in place of a pocket clip ?

I carry my knives in my left-hand (weak side) front pocket as there is only about 40% use of my right/dominant hand and it's also as backup, should I need it whilst carrying concealed.

Have been thinking of carrying the MiniReflex in my right front pocket on a lanyard as a (secondary) backup.

Would appreciate folks' thoughts on lanyards in place of pocket clips, please Smile

Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ersatzknarf,

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this will be of any help, but I have occasionally carried a Spyderco Ladybug, which as a small, clipless knife. Because of the small handle size I added a lanyard, which does help with getting a grasp on the knife, both while using it and getting it out of the pocket.

Try grabbing the knife out of the pocket. If you think you need the lanyard to get a better grip on it, I see no problem with adding one.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for the input.

Guess I should have said it's mainly for the MiniReflex for my right front pocket. (eta - clarified my first post)

With my bad right hand, it's difficult to get into my pocket to get things out...

Thanks, though, about not seeing a problem with adding a lanyard. It seemed a way to add the knife and more easily access it, but not seeing folks post much about using lanyards.

Thanks Smile

posted Hide Post
I've experimented a good bit with Lanyards. I've even learned to tie them. I usually don't use pocket clips on my EDC because I work on cars and a pocket clip can and will scratch the hell out of a car. A lanyard is an excellent way to have something to grab onto outside of your pocket. Lanyards can also be quite advantageous in securing your knife while chopping and keeping your hand from moving forwards on the blade. There's a bunch of different Youtube videos on how to use a lanyard, some of them are BS but you'll likely get some good ideas and techniques if you can watch a few and filter out the bad ones (some of them are downright goofy). There's also several vids on how to tie them. I personally like one that allows me to shorten up to secure my knife during heavier use and won't allow my digits to accidentally slide into the blade.

The disadvantage of a lanyard is that it can get in the way of opening your blade if it's flopping around. They can take up a little extra room in your pocket and get tangled with keys if you have too much in the same pocket as your knife but a little common sense will help you figure that out pretty quick. :-)

Anyway you really should try a lanyard for yourself. A little paracord doesn't cost much at all and it's something well worth experiment with especially if you have any issues digging deep into your pocket. Best of Luck!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
A little paracord with a lanyard/diamond knot is just class. Not just for carry but, if sized right for how you use it, really locks the knife into your hand.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
I've experimented a good bit with Lanyards.
Best of Luck!

Wow. Thank you for the very thoughtful and detailed response !

Thanks also for your suggestions. I am learning my way around YouTube, so appreciate the warning about "goofy" videos Wink

You're absolutely right about pocket clips scratching things Razz and a little paracord shouldn't break the bank Smile

I will indeed give it a try ! Big Grin

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
A little paracord with a lanyard/diamond knot is just class. Not just for carry but, if sized right for how you use it, really locks the knife into your hand.

Thank you. Hopefully, I can find the right balance and one that will help me hold the knife more securely.

For my bad right hand and the MiniReflex II switchblade, this might just work out very well indeed Smile

posted Hide Post
Here's how to tie a Chris Reeves lanyard knot:

https://www.knivesshipfree.com...-chris-reeve-knives/

I like his style because they are adjustable so you can tighten them up on your hand........dj

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Oh ! Thanks ! ! !

That's perfect.

No idea that is a lanyard knot.

Learned how to make that almost five decades ago and never forgot.

Am all set, now Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I am not a lanyard guy. I like doing a little clip tapping throughout the day to confirm the knife is still there. The one time I tried carrying a knife with a lanyard and no clip, I found myself fumbling in my pocket to check for the knife (my wallet also rides right front).

I would also advise against letting an auto roll around in your pocket so you don't risk unintentional opening.

Maybe look into a Kershaw Link/Dividend, one of the Launch autos, or a ZT0801ti. They are all smooth on both sides so they won't tear up your pants.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
I never used lanyards on my knives. Then, I started carrying knives with deep-carry pocket clips and I was having difficulty getting the knife out of my pocket. I now use the pocket clips and pull on the lanyard to start the draw.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Scurvy and akaSigFreak, thanks for the input Smile

The Benchmade has a very good lock, but you're right about that being a possibility with a knife. The lanyard will hopefully allow it to be better concealed as well as carry in the right front pocket more easily.

Doing both the clip and lanyard might be a good solution and hadn't considered that. Also have a problem with the draw on the right side. How do you place the lanyard when using the clip ?

Thanks.

posted Hide Post
Have you thought about a pocket sheath? No worries about the knife opening in your pocket.

I only have lanyards on my Sebenzas and my Terzuola because a they have specific loops and my buddy made me some beads.

If the knife doesn't have a lanyard loop, people just tie it around the rear backspacer as long as the blade doesn't hit the lanyard and cut it.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
I clip it to my right pocket and the lanyard hangs out. The only one that bothers me is the Bounty Hunter Mandalorian lanyard. It has the heavy pewter bead and bangs around.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
Have you thought about a pocket sheath? No worries about the knife opening in your pocket.

WOW ! That is a beautiful, big knife ! Big Grin

Actually, other than the CRK sheaths seen, had not thought about it for others, but it makes a lot of sense, especially if trying to work with a lanyard... Thanks Smile

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akaSigFreak:
I clip it to my right pocket and the lanyard hangs out. The only one that bothers me is the Bounty Hunter Mandalorian lanyard. It has the heavy pewter bead and bangs around.

Ahhhh, hah. Okay, thanks. So the lanyard is visible. Got it.

Maybe I can come up with something between using a lanyard and a sheath, that will allow it all to work with the auto. Smile

posted Hide Post
A few pocket sheaths:

https://www.knivesshipfree.com...cket+sheaths&x=0&y=0

I tried a couple for fixed blades and didn't care for them much. I didn't like that with the sheath it was too much hassle to put the knife back in my pocket with one hand. With a folder you just fold it and drop it back in. With the sheath you kinda need to pull the sheath out and put the knife in with the other hand, I wasn't at all comfortable sticking a razor sharp blade back down into my pocket trying to resheath it blind......

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link.

Ah, hadn't thought about that aspect.

Was kinda hoping that the sheath would stay put as the folder is drawn. Need to be able to do it one handed, hence the auto/folder...

Thanks for the food for thought.

So, mebbe just the lanyard to start and go from there.

posted Hide Post
With the CR Large Sebenza's I have, the lanyard is useful only when using the clip. It's not long enough to be useful if the knife is just dropped in the pocket. I don't know if CR sells a deep carry clip, but there are others that do for the Sebenza's. Then all you have showing is the lanyard. Hope this helps.

USMC (Ret) 1970-1990
Recovering 1911 Addict
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 173 | Location: Manassas, VA | Registered: May 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Thanks Smile