SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    I've been cheating on my Benchmade Ares since October...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I've been cheating on my Benchmade Ares since October... Login/Join 
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted
...and with a less attractive model no less.

I've had several Paramilitary 2's over the years, most sold off or traded, but managed to tuck a couple away. I finally made a point to use one regularly. The thin full flat grind is quite slicey and a joy to use. The large handle size is perfect, giving plenty of leverage in my mediumish sized hand.

I am not a fan of the factory clip so replaced them on a few of my PM2's with examples from MXG Gear and Lynch Northwest, both I feel are almost identical.

So now I'm up to a dozen different PM2's. Not sure how many more I want or need, but since completing my Ares collection I need a new model to focus on obtaining.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
Nice PM2, nothing wrong with that.....

Anyway, after exhaustive asking and asking about that Benchmade that was made for Cal DFG..
I have nothing for you. Sorry, we tried but no one currently on the department knows anything about it.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I was wondering if that was your post on FB Spyderco page.
Looking good.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piedrarc:
Nice PM2, nothing wrong with that.....

Anyway, after exhaustive asking and asking about that Benchmade that was made for Cal DFG..
I have nothing for you. Sorry, we tried but no one currently on the department knows anything about it.

It's all good, thanks for trying anyway. Smile

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nframe:
I was wondering if that was your post on FB Spyderco page.
Looking good.

Yeah that was me. It seems the facebook knife specific pages are actually more enjoyable to visit than dedicated knife forums.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I had a partial or maybe full serrated Military many years ago. Sold it partially because I wanted a plain edge and then something else caught my eye and haven’t replaced it.

I really like that clip too.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
I had the original Para in D2 that I traded to a buddy cause it was a little too small. I’ve missed that knife for years after trading it. I’m buying a Para 2 tomorrow as a late Christmas present to myself. I’m certain it’ll be my edc for a long time.

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Well I was feeling a bit homesick so I'm carrying my old trusty for the last day of the year. Mostly because this really garish titanium clip arrived from China today.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like PM2s a lot. As you say, the flat and thin blade are very good cutters. They are thin and light for their size in the pocket.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I am a benchmade guy as well, nothing cuts like a spydie. I have a UK pen knife that you just can’t ask it to get sharper. Benchmade Knives are nicer but Sal knows his way around slicing grinds.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait, what?!?! Eek
Are you going through withdrawal or something?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Ooops I did it again....
Rit dyed a spare pair of digicam scales to a nice subdued orange hue.
Blingtastic!

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
What are the marks on the right side of the blade?

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:

I could be wrong but those are maker marks. The one in front of the spidie hole is Sal Glesser and I’m not sure about the other.

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I believe, the other maker's mark is Sal's son Eric.

quote:
Originally posted by rmc85:
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:

I could be wrong but those are maker marks. The one in front of the spidie hole is Sal Glesser and I’m not sure about the other.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I’ve had several Spydies and none have had the marks. Looking closer, it makes sense.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Agony, how long did you leave the G10 in the Rit dye?

Actually, what was your method? Stovetop, or less heat? Did you add vinegar?

Thanks.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rit dyed a spare pair of digicam scales to a nice subdued orange hue.

SLICK! I like it.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Agony, how long did you leave the G10 in the Rit dye?

Actually, what was your method? Stovetop, or less heat? Did you add vinegar?

Thanks.

Boiled a quart of water to a rolling boil. Added a cup of vinegar.
Added a half bottle of Rit dye.
Turned down heat to a simmer just under boiling.
Put in the scales.
Checked them periodically over an hour.
Wasn't good enough.
Left them in for another hour.
Done.

Picture of porterdog
posted Hide Post
Rit for plastic or the normal one? I have a Cruwear PM3 that came with grey scales and I've been thinking of a color change...

Is your government serving you?

Posts: 1271 | Location: Detroit (Rock City!) | Registered: September 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post