SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    modest 3/8 drive torque wrench recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

modest 3/8 drive torque wrench recommendations Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
In researching torque wrenches for my personal tool set for working on AR's, I found this article reviewing the same. Decided on Tekton based on additional research after reading these reviews.

http://mycarneedsthis.com/toda...renches-and-reviews/

tp

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2tonicP220:
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
You might look into split beam clicker torque wrenches

I used a Snap-On one, but in 1/2" when I was in the auto trade... They spoil the hell out of you.

If you can find one of these used and within calibration, they make their use a pleasure, plus it's a flex head. Photos are from eBay of a TQR-100A

Ironic, and I was shocked to see a calibration cert sticker, on a Chinese made 1/4" TR in one of the aircraft mechanics box. Looked like a model right from the HF store, which go on sale for $9.99

Those are made by Precision Instruments for Snap-on. CDI makes their twist type torque wrenches. Rumor is Snap-on makes the ratcheting part of the torque wrenches to improve the action and justify charging more, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, you can send a Snap-On torque wrench back to them for calibration. I've done it a few times and am pleased with their cost, service, and turnaround.

One thing to be careful of is buying older torque wrenches. My Dad's wrench from the late-70's is still in great shape but Snap-on said they did a redesign a number of years ago because the old design they considered to be too weak. I think that may be true for industrial use, but I still use it for torquing the lug nuts every time I rotate the tires and it's holding up nicely.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up both a 3/8ths and 1/2 inch Husky from the Homer for my AR build. They worked great not too bad on price good warranty. Hope it helps.
Dave

Posts: 380 | Location: masshole | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post