SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody's kid sleep with a weighted blanket????
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody's kid sleep with a weighted blanket???? Login/Join 
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to weighted blankets other than I could see where the swaddling effect could be helpful.

Regarding all of the stuffed animals in the bed, it's a long shot, but if you haven't already, I'd consider trying to dwindle those down to one, or none. IMO the sleeping area should be comfortable but boring. A bunch of, in effect, toys, makes for busy, distracting environment.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
To add to my comment about stuffed animals, if you haven't already, examine the pre-bedtime ritual, how you settle him into bed, what the environment is like, and how you handle his objections to staying in bed. There are right and wrong ways for all of that, especially with kids who have trouble sleeping. Everything needs to be geared towards making getting ready for, and going to bed a super calm, sweet, welcome experience, enforced by resolute, unflappable adults.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Our son had a car bed. It sat at a 45 degree from two walls. The corner behind the bed was one of those old style pole lights with three lamps on it, we called it the street light. Would read a car story to him in bed. Then we would play it up as he was needed to run the sleepyville 500 in his car bed. It helped a lot.

Something like this

Our son had a car bed. It sat at a 45 degree from two walls. The corner behind the bed was one of those old style pole lights with three lamps on it, we called it the street light. Would read a car story to him in bed. Then we would play it up as he was needed to run the sleepyville 500 in his car bed. It helped a lot.
Something like this
https://www.overstock.com/Home...eywords=&refinement=

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Can't hurt to try one.

Or, you could do what my dad did. "Get your ass to bed". "Go to sleep". "Don't make me come up there".

Just a suggestion. Smile

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Can't hurt to try one.

Or, you could do what my dad did. "Get your ass to bed". "Go to sleep". "Don't make me come up there".

Just a suggestion. Smile

Hahahahahaha!! Did we have the same dad???? Wink

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
My middle son slept under a weighted blanket for years. He had a lot of sensory processing issues as a kid and the weighted blanket improved his quality of sleep (and thusly mine) manyfold

I'm also married to a pediatrician who specializes in things like this

So if you would like to ask anything specific feel free to email me (address in profile). This week is nuts, so the answer might not be immediate, but what I can't answer I will get from the wife in the 20 Odd minutes we will see each other this week Smile

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
I never heard of such a thing but their might be something to it. I've always preferred and slept better under a heavy (weight not necessarily warmth)comforter.

Same for me.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son used one pretty extensively for nap time at pre school. He did not need it at home for bedtime.

Another suggestion is to give him a kid friendly Omega 3 supplement about 20- 30 minutes before bedtime. We also rub magnesium oil on to my sons feet at bedtime. He takes a kids zinc supplement before school.

There is so e evidence that Omega 3, Magnesium, and Zinc can help ADD / ADHD kids.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Does he sleep well if someone shares the bed with him?
Is it possible he’s just frightened of being alone in the dark, or has had experience with bad dreams or illnesses that have made sleep troubling and scary in the past?

I’ll assume you’ve tried “the sneakout” already (after he’s fallen asleep), and that doesn’t work.

I’m not a cat person either, but they typically require little care (far less than a dog, imho), just a litter box change, and would likely be happy to snuggle up with a warm body at night.
Your boy is old enough to participate in the care of a cat (mine feeds ours daily, it’s his job), and you could buy an automated litter box to address the poo if that’s what’s stopping you.

Of course, you’d want to choose the cat wisely and get some advice from a cat person- some are standoffish and don’t cuddle, but most all are meticulous in their toilet habits, so...just throwing it out there.
In return, mouse free house, and all night sleep!

Otherwise, I’d second the blanket, no harm, no foul.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5303 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the child eating / drinking before bed? Anything sugary?

--------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike's Wife
posted Hide Post
We had a weighted blanket gifted to us for our son with Autism. He's never really cared for it much, but I love, love, love sleeping with it. I sleep so much better with the extra weight. I recently purchased a beautiful, overpriced throw blanket that turned out to be quite heavy and give the same results. It's big enough to cover most of our king size bed and is amazing.

Regarding a child struggling to sleep, my son has struggled pretty much always. He now sleeps most of the time in his own bed but he's now 8. He either slept with us or his sister for the longest time. He shared a room with his sister for a couple of years which seemed to be enough for him to sleep through the night.

I'd start with cheap solutions first, stuffed animals, fluffy blanket, new sheets, anything he might look forward to sleeping with. Maybe adjust the temperature in his room up or down to see if that helps. Can he share a room with a sibling? Or share a bed with you? What if he goes to sleep in your bed, then move him to his own bed? That works for our kiddos quite a bit if they have trouble getting to sleep or if they have a nightmare soon after falling asleep.

A well established bedtime routine also seems to help for our kiddos. Pajamas, teeth brushed, story time, family prayer, hugs & kisses, then Daddy tucks them each in.

If he gets wound up on benadryl (and I don't condone giving it to kiddos for sleep) is it the red benadryl? Maybe he's red dye intolerant? Try cutting out red dye and see if that helps his sleeping patterns.

Posts: 838 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
man, you guys are making me claustrophobic. My wife has this favorite quilt that must weigh 47lb. I can fall asleep under it just fine, but wake up at 2-4am having a panic attack feeling like I'm being crushed.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post