SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody's kid sleep with a weighted blanket????
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody's kid sleep with a weighted blanket???? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Our 4 year old just flat out won't sleep. Never really has. It is a 2-3 hour battle to get him to sleep and once he does get to sleep he wakes up 2-3 times a night and is up at 5:30 at the latest.
We have tried everything, essential oils, lavender baths, noise box.
The only time he sleeps is if someone is in the bed with him.
Younger brothers are too small to share a room with him, wife says no dog yet.

His teacher suggested trying a weighted blanket, anyone have experience with them?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I never heard of such a thing but their might be something to it. I've always preferred and slept better under a heavy (weight not necessarily warmth)comforter.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or a cat or puppy.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
..another vote for a big dog (puppy). Sorry, you said no dogs.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wandering, but
not lost...I think
Picture of brywards
posted Hide Post
I dated a woman last year whose son was autistic - the weighted blanket was a must for bedtime.

So, I know they work.

Posts: 2715 | Location: West Texas | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
What Mark and Fred said.
I am a light sleeper and awaken numerous times at night.
Sleep under a heavy quilt with one or more kitties.
The pressure of a cat next to me and their gentle purring is very soothing.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I would love to have a dog again.
But with a 4 year old, 2 year old, and a 4 month old that won't happen.
And cats, no way, no how. My wife and I are not cat people.

————————————————

Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brywards:
I dated a woman last year whose son was autistic - the weighted blanket was a must for bedtime.

So, I know they work.

My autistic child has never needed a weighted vest or blanket, but I've also heard of several cases where they've helped kids. Talk to a children's therapist for more info to see if one might help.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
Have you tried stuffed animals? Or a body pillow?

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

The only time he sleeps is if someone is in the bed with him.

You could try one of those long 'body pillows'. If he's four, they will be about his size.

GregY beat me to it Razz

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Multiple stuffed animals, body pillow, and regular pillows.

————————————————

Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
When our son wouldn't stay in bed, we got a Cars (tm) tent from Walmart. Set it up on his bed and he stayed there all night.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
Maybe try a sound machine? (White noise generator)

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our 8 year old uses one. He can have a hard time
falling to sleep with out it. Sometimes staying up to 1-2AM. Which is a serious problem with school the next day. We too have tried many options and it works really well.

A well made weighted blanket will be seem expensive up front. The one we have has a velvety bumpy texture on under side. That allows you to feel the weight but not smoother you. It breaths enough to keep him from overheating. The blanket is made up 5"x5" squares that distribute the weighted filler while keeping it from migrating to one spot. Think of a blanket made of bean bags. The filler used for the weight are small hard plastic bee bees.

I'll find out what site we ordered it from and update my post. My son picked the color of fabric for the underside and the top side in a spider man pattern. It is made very well and durable. It has held up to the frequent, almost daily washings. Don't ask....

ETA: Sensa Calm

Ready to ship

-TVz

Posts: 428 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brywards:

So, I know they work.

Yep, one of my grandsons who is autistic sleeps with one, and a sound machine.

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not my child, buy I worked at one time in a group home that had autistic kids and most had one and it did seem to help.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Benadryl... Smile

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikito:
Benadryl... Smile

I was going to go with Whiskey or Bourbon, but that may be too harsh, Benadryl is probably the way to go.

However, I must warn you I'm NOT a Doctor. But I did stay in a Holiday Inn about a week ago. Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Benadryl... Smile

He is even worse on Benadryl it turns into an all night dance party. Then he is triple grumpy the next day.

————————————————

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:
Benadryl... Smile

I was going to go with Whiskey or Bourbon, but that may be too harsh, Benadryl is probably the way to go.

However, I must warn you I'm NOT a Doctor. But I did stay in a Holiday Inn about a week ago. Wink

I am fairly sure we were separated at birth.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post