SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    At the hospital with my daughter, doctors are stumped, update in original post
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At the hospital with my daughter, doctors are stumped, update in original post Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
My 20 year old daughter was sitting on the couch painting her toenails when she suddenly got a pain in her throat, she jumped up real quick and told me and she burst into tears it was hurting so bad, she then said the pain was radiating to her temples. You could tell she was in pain, her body was quivering, face turning red, felt like she had to throw up. After about thirty minutes I decided to take her to the hospital for fear it was a heart attack. Doctor checked her out and is stumped. Blood work come back ok, just gave her an X-ray on her throat. Not got the results back yet.

Nothing showing on the X-ray, they sent her home and said if she did not feel better by Monday to make an appointment with an ear,nose,throat doctor. Doctor did say her uvula looked irritated. She’s still got pain but not as bad as it was. Thanks for the prayers and well wishes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: techguy,

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Send a prayer for a good outcome..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
Keep us posted. Good thoughts are being sent your way.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
Make sure they rule out cerebral vascular problems.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Sounds scary. I hope all ends well and quickly.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
What you describe is very similar to the allergic reaction I had to Sulfa (antibiotic) many years ago.

Just for the process of elimination, you may want to verify she is not on any new meds.

Prayers of wisdom to the docs and healing to her.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
What you describe is very similar to the allergic reaction I had to Sulfa (antibiotic) many years ago.

Just for the process of elimination, you may want to verify she is not on any new meds.

Prayers of wisdom to the docs and healing to her.

Just about what I'd say. Prayers for your daughter.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Reaction to something (acetone) in the nail polish maybe? She’s in my prayers!

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Prayers for wisdom for the doctors and healing for you daughter inbound.

Keep us posted!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Thoughts and prayers inbound.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
I had a sudden onset like that with my jaw hurting like hell. Scared me enough to see the doc. Turns out it was a blocked salivary duct, must have gotten a seed in it or something.

Prednisone took care of it over a few days.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
Praying. I hope you get answers soon.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Ask for a MRI with dye to check for a stroke....I had one and they have no explanation and had they done that( MRI), it would have been caught. The aftermath of missing on is bad- but recoverable...

My kid had a broken arm and his med tech had a stroke due to her birth control...she also was a once in a million chance

Mrs Mike says toxic shock syndrome with regard to her being on her period

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I had a similar attack. Sudden onset of severe pain my throat. Felt like something was stuck that I could not to get up or down. Went to the ER.
Muscle spasm / cramps of the esophagus. Like a bad painful leg cramp, but in your throat!

Muscle relaxer given, fixed it but it was sore for days.

Never happened again.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
I had a similar attack. Sudden onset of severe pain my throat. Felt like something was stuck that I could not to get up or down. Went to the ER.
Muscle spasm / cramps of the esophagus. Like a bad painful leg cramp, but in your throat!

Muscle relaxer given, fixed it but it was sore for days.

Never happened again.

This would kinda make sense wouldn't it? You said she was painting her toenails so I imagine she was hunched over in some way and stretching her neck? Could've caused a cramp in the neck, no?

Whatever the case, I hope it turns out to be nothing serious. I said a quick prayer.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The two posts above.

I was in a similar position working sitting on the rear "floor" of an F-4 with the seat out replacing a rudder pedal torque tube and "strained".
Had that instant feeling of a cramp/charlie horse below my adam's apple and pain behind my eyes.

I stood up, got dizzy and almost passed out. Tried swallowing, breathing, anything to get the pain to stop.

It felt like I swallowed a big lump pf peanut butter that got stuck.

The pain subsided but I felt bad for hours, went and drank some water.

That was back in 1978. I still have trouble if I swallow liquid in too large a gulp or too fast, and I cannot drink anything really cold, or it causes a very similar reaction, just a bit less intense, and even knowing what it is, it causes panic/anxiety, and same for to big a bite of food or not chewing it well.

Hope it turns out to be a one time episode, whatever it was.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
Thank all of you for the good thoughts and prayers. It’s funny a couple of you mentioned it, I was just now reading about the spasms. It sounds a lot like what she had but the er doctor didn’t diagnose it. She had a necklace on that was very loose fitting but she was trying to take it off because she felt like her neck was constricting.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Here's hoping that things work out well for her. Positive thinking can make a difference.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Heard something similar, turned out the guy had bar b q for the family, used a cheap wire bristels brush, and actually had wire bristles, in the meat.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post