Find
Notify
Tools

Hit and run Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted
Someone hit one of our work trucks today and took off. They hit the van in the back tire and rear quarter panel. From a quick look just somebody damage but since they hit the tire how knows. I was told it seemed to drive ok but that was just a few miles and not on the highway.

Bests part is they left their front bumper with the license plate in the road. Police where called and report filed. I can only hope the cops had a nice visit with this lovely lady to discuss her driving habits. If you're going to leave the scene of an accident I suggest you don't leave your license plate.

The car is insured as the officer that came out ran the tag. She would not give out the info from the tag which I thought was strange since you have to exchange info with an accident. Said we could pick up the police report in a few days from the station.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PRESS CHARGES. Don't let this lady's hit and run slide.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

It's a felony in VA.

You VA or MD comet?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

It's a felony in VA.

You VA or MD comet?

MD.

We(the company) will push for any charged we can. The driver is not one to let someone get away with this kind of thing either.

I wasn't there so not sure he(driver) got a good look at the person as they sideswiped the rear and took off. The driver felt the impact, stopped and then saw the car driving away. Another driver stoped and said the bumper was behind the truck and the driver went back and picked it up and called the police.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
One of my wife's co-workers was hit and run. Left a license imprint in his rear bumper. Caught the guy.

Posts: 1341 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
If you're going to leave the scene of an accident I suggest you don't leave your license plate.

There is no sense in being stupid if you can't prove it. Razz

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1990 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It's a felony in VA.

You VA or MD comet?

Good luck in Fairfax County. I got rear-ended by a Spanish guy and I told him to pull over to the side of the road since we were in a dangerous position. I think he didn't understand English and drove off. The traffic was heavy and I lost him.

I went to the Police station and reported the incident. It tore up his radiator some kind of bad since he hit my tank...68 Chyster Newport. I got whiplash the next day and was out of work for a week. The rear bumper was bent in and that was all the damage. The police made no attempt to find the guy even though I gave them the license plate number.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Back in the mid 80's on RT 50 at an Exxon station, four Spanish guys were returning for more beer and didn't stop in time and busted a hole in the cinder block wall and drove off.

They found the license plate in the rubble.

https://www.google.com/maps/@3...A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No guarantee a prosecution will take place, unless the actual driver can be positively identified. My late, ex-wife had serious problems (long story for another time). She hit a parked car and drove away. Nearly a dozen witnesses noted her vehicle description and tag number, called police and agreed to testify. None, however, could identify her as the driver. Verdict at the trial: not guilty.

Posts: 1313 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

I got rear-ended by a Spanish guy and I told him to pull over to the side of the road since we were in a dangerous position. I think he didn't understand English and drove off. The traffic was heavy and I lost him.

The police made no attempt to find the guy even though I gave them the license plate number.

I don't know what it's like where you live, but here, being Hispanic means unless someone got hurt, you're free to go - never happened, nothing to see here.

I was hit from behind by an illegal, and as I exited my truck, I saw a local PD about 50 yards behind me, so I flagged him down. Since the driver did not speak English, had no license, no proof of insurance, or proof of current registration, he was sent on his way. Before he was told to leave, I was asked several times if I was hurt and if I needed medical assistance. I had no idea they would just send him on his way if I admitted I was not hurt.

After he left, I ask the officer why he was let go - I counted three offenses for which I knew I would be cited. And, he actually admitted to me that he had been told to just send the illegals on their way unless they caused an injury.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, if I get hit by an illegal alien, my back hurts real bad? Got it.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
So, if I get hit by an illegal alien, my back hurts real bad? Got it.

If my agency had some kind of catch and release for illegals, I’d defy them with a hearty “fuck you” (in acceptable language to avoid insubordination of course) and do my job. I’d be ashamed to show my face otherwise, especially in a property damage accident like this. No license, insurance, or registration? Off to jail, and the vehicle off to impound until they could provide all of the above. Which means never and the tow company gets the car.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If anyone remembers Lawrence Phillips of the St.louis Rams he did something similar. A salesman were I work said that the entrance to his subdivision was all smashed up and there was a bumper with the license plate left behind. That was just the beginning of his troubles.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:
quote:

It's a felony in VA.

You VA or MD comet?

MD.

We(the company) will push for any charged we can. The driver is not one to let someone get away with this kind of thing either.

I wasn't there so not sure he(driver) got a good look at the person as they sideswiped the rear and took off. The driver felt the impact, stopped and then saw the car driving away. Another driver stoped and said the bumper was behind the truck and the driver went back and picked it up and called the police.

Which county? Police actions tend to differ wildly in MD depending on the county. I know in Baltimore County they will call the driver who fled and say if you don't contact the other party you will be cited/charged. If that doesn't work, they will show up at the fleeing driver's house and get the information and provide it to the other party involved. They rarely cite/charge people unless it is a major incident.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Cameras are stupid cheap now, enough so for one in the front and rear.

$17 at WalMart.

I got swiped back in March and the guy claimed I slammed my brakes while he was slowly passing me.

The camera told another story.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34082 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post