SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Investment question. In light of the political climate...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Investment question. In light of the political climate... Login/Join 
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted
On the Korean peninsula, and some sort of conflict almost a certainty, are any of you guys pulling out of investment positions and going to cash? Im 52 now, and dont have enough investment timeline left should my portfolio take a substantian hit. Just interested in your thoughts on the investment question, not the possibility of a conflict question, which seems inevitable to me at this time. Thanks.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7489 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Just saying. The moment Trump won the election was the time to go into investments so inclined.

I don't feel an altercation with N Korea is inevitable.

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
You and a lot of other people are moved by the news. The market had dropped in the last 3 days. I most like would be moved too. but that's why I moved the bulk of my funds to a wealth management company. Yes, it still went down these last days under their management but that's partly why I moved it under them - so I won't be moved to do something. Instead, they're following a disciplined approach.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
No. Stocks and the markets have been doing very well overall. The last few days have seen a decline overall but I think the markets are still good.

You can't pull everything every time something happens. If you are older you should have already diversified into safer investments.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll only do a little re-balancing once or twice a year (or less, if there are no over-performers to sell).

I don't move anything out of fear. By the time I'm afraid, it's too late to do anything but lock in losses. I won't do that.

If I could predict the future I might do differently, but I can't.

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I'm like Yogi Berra. My forecasting is none too good, particularly when it pertains to the future.

Anyway, it is a mistake to try to time the market. Instead make your decisions based on price, not time.

Every now and then, I post the best description of the investment process, attitude, goals, I've ever read, by Ben Graham, from "The Intelligent Investor."

quote:
Imagine that in some private business you own a small share that cost you $1,000. One of your partners, named Mr. Market, is very obliging indeed. Every day he tells you what he thinks your interest is worth and furthermore offers either to buy you out or to sell you an additional interest on that basis. Sometimes his idea of value appears plausible and justified by business developments and prospects as you know them. Often, on the other hand, Mr. Market lets his enthusiasm or his fears run away with him, and the value he proposes seems to you a little short of silly.

If you are a prudent investor or a sensible businessman, will you let Mr. Market’s daily communication determine your view of the value of a $1,000 interest in the enterprise? Only in case you agree with him, or in case you want to trade with him. You may be happy to sell out to him when he quotes you a ridiculously high price, and equally happy to buy from him when his price is low. But the rest of the time you will be wiser to form you own ideas of the value of your holdings, based on full reports from the company about its operations and financial position.

The true investor is in that very position when he owns a listed common stock. He can take advantage of the daily market price or leave it alone, as dictated by his own judgment and inclination… Basically, price fluctuations have only one significant meaning for the true investor. They provided him with an opportunity to buy wisely when prices fall sharply and to sell wisely when they advance a great deal. At other times he will do better if he forgets about the stock market and pays attention… to the operating results of his companies.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the Korean peninsula, and some sort of conflict almost a certainty, are any of you guys pulling out of investment positions and going to cash? Im 52 now, and dont have enough investment timeline left should my portfolio take a substantian hit. Just interested in your thoughts on the investment question, not the possibility of a conflict question, which seems inevitable to me at this time. Thanks.

You are still young, and do not need to live off of your investments. Substantial dips in the market are often good times to buy. At the present time there have been no substantial drops. I would pay less attention to the news. I have been investing in stocks since the 1970s and have lived through substantial dips in the market. It is important to manage fear and greed. Hope this helps.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
The stock market and futures are a confidence market. Whenever turmoil such as war happens, the lack of confidence causes the price of gold to surge and the price of stocks to plunge. During times of chaos gold becomes stronger than the stock market. After the turmoil and as confidence is regained it is a good time to sell the gold and re-invest in the stock market at low prices and the gains will be substantial. IMHO

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went all to cash this past Tuesday in our 401K's and Roth's.

I've been following the debt mess for a while, and many way smarter than me believe it wont take much to pop the bubble.

We'll sit out till December and see what happens.

http://www.marketwatch.com/sto...orrection-2017-08-09

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/...ice-action-has-begun

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/...ue-warning-investors

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/...-collapse-draws-near

Posts: 2689 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I'm older than the OP but take a long term view when it comes to investing...I didn't sell in 2008 and I won't now.
So far it has paid off nicely...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
No one knows what will happen. There have been quite a few claiming the bubble will break for at least three years now. If I sold all my stock related investments every time there were experts crying that the sky was falling I would have not owned any stocks since the 70s. That said I believe in diversification of investments other than just stocks and have some in short term corp bond funds yielding 2.2 percent for opportunities.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. Bought some more stocks at a discount actually.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2180 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
that's partly why I moved it under them - so I won't be moved to do something.

Same here. I put my money with an investment advisor for this reason as well. I kept being swayed by the latest 'crisis-of-the-day' and making moves that were driven by emotion.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigredfish:

I've been following the debt mess for a while, and many way smarter than me believe it wont take much to pop the bubble.

The problem is that there's always some percentage of folks who are saying that the sky is falling.

The fact that their wrong 364 days of the year doesn't seem to phase them. The one day their right, they trumpet it from the rooftops and proclaim themselves genuises.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:

The problem is that there's always some percentage of folks who are saying that the sky is falling.

The fact that their wrong 364 days of the year doesn't seem to phase them. The one day their right, they trumpet it from the rooftops and proclaim themselves genuises.

Kinda like democrats. Big Grin Actually, they're never right. Wink

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
but that's why I moved the bulk of my funds to a wealth management company.

I always cringe when I hear something like this.

Don' t think there is not an inherent risk in paying someone to do what you could do for yourself. Do you think they have more interest in your financial future than you do?

I understand handing it off to someone and hoping it works out. I don't and that does not mean it will work out for me either.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:

One of the common scams involves building a record of being right all the time.

You start with a number of names, say, 16,000. You write a letter with a very definite "prediction" about market movement and mail it to half of the names. You write another letter with the opposite prediction and send that letter to the other half.

After the prediction comes true for half of them, you write two more letters, one up, one down, and send those letters to the 8,000 folks who received your "right" letter. Once that "prediction" has happened, you send out another letter to the 4,000 who received the "right" letter. Wait. Repeat this again, to the 2,000 who received your prediction letter that happened. These folks have seen 4 straight "right" calls now. 1000 of them will get another "right" letter, and most of those will send you money if they haven't already.

So I am told.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a stock market guru on a market orientated show saying that you need to be full in the market. One of the guests says "but I thought you were bearish?". His response was "that was last week" LOL.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Handling your own investing without guidance is kind of like doing surgery on yourself. Yes, you're motivated well, but the skill set.....not so much.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I have seen time and time again. Large portions, most or even all of one's retirement gobbled up by the so called "guidance" (quality brokerage) type folks. In today's world one can get all the "guidance" they need without getting screwed over in the guidance for profit scheme.
But first and foremost one needs to figure out what you are trying to do in the time you have to do it or you will certainly screw yourself. But there is little difference in that vs getting screwed by someone else. Other than having someone else to blameWink

And in answer to the op's question, no not for me.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post