SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Investment question. In light of the political climate...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Investment question. In light of the political climate... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
quote:
Originally posted by triggertreat:
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

So I willingly pay someone 1% to do the investment decisions for me.

Some Vanguard and Schwab index funds charge less than 1% for their fees.

Vanguard's fee is .04% in it's VFIAX S&P 500 index fund. So a money manager would have to beat the S&P 500 index consistently by 1 percent just to be even with that. Something like less than 5 percent of mutual fund managers have beat the S&P 500 index over the long term and when they do it almost always is just by a little bit.

I must have gotten lucky with my managed account.I went here to see that funds performance https://personal.vanguard.com/...=0540&FundIntExt=INT

The hypothetical shows 10 years to double your 10k.My managed account took 9yrs to increase 2.5x.I am like Rey HRH and am willing to pay someone to take care of it for me.

!0 year return for S&P 500 index includes the last huge stock market crash making it historically very low and while 9 years would not or not nearly as much so you are not comparing apples to apples. Also you have to take into account if you added any funds to your account in the last 9 years or not. 10 years is a relatively short period of time for long term investors. If one look at 20 and 30 year returns it has done much better and very very few have been able to match or beat it. The one Vanguard fund that probably has beaten the S&P 500 over the longer term and one of the highest returning funds over the long term ever is the Vanguard Health fund - VGHCX. Vanguard Primecap - VPMCX is another that may have and one of my favorite funds that I have done extremely well with over the years.

No added funds and weathered 2 market down turns.You are right it isnt apples to apple.I did better!Im getting closer to retirement and have adjusted my strategy a little.My long term isnt really long term at this point.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1364 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggertreat:

No added funds and weathered 2 market down turns.You are right it isnt apples to apple.I did better!Im getting closer to retirement and have adjusted my strategy a little. My long term isnt really long term at this point.

I think that is a key point missed by sentiment that says no investment manager can beat the index over the long term. The sentiment is correct if your investment horizon is at least 30 years. You have several principles working against anyone trying to beat the market; two of which are the law of diminishing returns and regression towards the mean.

If you have 30 years or more, stick your money in the total stock market and after 30 years, you would have done better than any other strategy.

But if you have less than 30 years and made more complicated by needing to draw funds against that investment, then you're at risk of not having enough funds to last you if you simply have it all invested in the market.

When the market goes into a bear cycle which it inevitably will, you'll be drawing funds which your funds need to make a return on.

Now, if you have enough funds to support your lifestyle whatever the market does in your lifetime, then you don't really need the stock market to earn money for you. But for most people, this isn't the case.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Berkshire Hathaway had a gain in book value 1965-2016 of 884,319%, a gain in market value of 1,972,595%, compared to a gain in the S&P including dividends of 12,717%.

The compounded annual gain in book value was 19.0%, in market value, 20.8%, and of the S&P, 9.7%.

I don't believe Buffett beat the S&P by either measure every year for 50 years.

Like Bum Philips once said of Earl Campbell, "I'm not sure he's in a class by himself, but it don't take long to call the roll."

There will always be someone who did better, and there is no way to predict these things in advance.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Hang on to your hats boys and girls.

Most of the common 'indicators' point to a bear market again. Likely not as bad as 2007-2009, but expect some losses for a while until things recover.

here we go......

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10892 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Hang on to your hats boys and girls.

Most of the common 'indicators' point to a bear market again. Likely not as bad as 2007-2009, but expect some losses for a while until things recover.

here we go......

I wonder if the God Damned Commies, many if whom are professional capitalists, are going to try heavy selling to induce a market downturn, to further hobble Trump.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I really don't follow this kind of thing like maybe I should.
Yes I am in he market. Yes I am in the last third of my investment window.
Whatever it does, I am hoping by being balanced in the market. Stocks (diversified) and bonds we will come out ok (mostly unscathed) in a few years.
I am really, really hoping and praying.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have no faith in bonds. There are gas pipelines and other utilities that pay a good dividend plus appreciation.

The market is still in a downtrend channel and is trying to break back up. The Biotech are on fire and my Kemet continues to go up after I sold it to pay my taxes. Waiting for it to pull back to get back in.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I should say bond funds. I guess I am old skool. But unless things are quite a bit different now. Bonds do ok when stocks
(in general) don't.

I should say that in general. I do not invest in individual stocks or bonds.

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You have to realize that it is harder for a large fund to move in and out of the market while an individual doesn't have that problem.

Buffett's performance was only 21.4 percent a year compared to the S&P of 9.97 percent a year by my calculations. Still good but people playing the Fidelity Select Funds were averaging 32 percent.

Buffett also has big connections with the banks to move has holdings.

The market has moved back up and gold and silver have broken out.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
.... people playing the Fidelity Select Funds were averaging 32 percent.

Whoa, big guy.

Where and for how long did the Fidelity Select Funds average 32%?

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:

A computer person that attended the Capital PC Users Financial Group did an analysis of Fidelity Select Funds. He determined that a four week window was the best sampling rate to select the best funds performance.

So you did a scan of the funds using four weeks performance window and selected the top fund to place your money. You did a scan once a week on Friday. This was around 1985 if IIRC. There were other rules as the top fund dropped back. Some years he made over 32 percent. This was all back tested on a computer to determine what time frame to use..two week, three week, four week, five week, etc.

There is a group called Fast Track that has software and data for using this technique.

https://investorsfasttrack.com/

Today, some of the Fidelity Sector Funds are up more than 32 percent YTD like Technology which is up 38 percent. When the market corrects, they move to a cash account.

http://fundresearch.fidelity.c...ce-short-term/SECTOR

There are a lot more Fidelity Funds now compared to 1985 when there were about 35 or less.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:

A computer person that attended the Capital PC Users Financial Group did an analysis of Fidelity Select Funds. He determined that a four week window was the best sampling rate to select the best funds performance.

So you did a scan of the funds using four weeks performance window and selected the top fund to place your money. You did a scan once a week on Friday. This was around 1985 if IIRC. There were other rules as the top fund dropped back. Some years he made over 32 percent. This was all back tested on a computer to determine what time frame to use..two week, three week, four week, five week, etc.

There is a group called Fast Track that has software and data for using this technique.

https://investorsfasttrack.com/

Today, some of the Fidelity Sector Funds are up more than 32 percent YTD like Technology which is up 38 percent. When the market corrects, they move to a cash account.

http://fundresearch.fidelity.c...ce-short-term/SECTOR

There are a lot more Fidelity Funds now compared to 1985 when there were about 35 or less.

There were guys who made real good money with mechanical trading systems. They would figure out that if you sold September Soybeans the first week of March, and bought them back in July, you would make 150% most years, a few years between 50 and 100% and 3 years lost $50, all the way back to 1910 or so.

I just made that up as an example, mind you. There were dozens of them like that. They made money selling these trading schemes with ads in money making magazines. There was no internet back then, no computers in private hands.

There are technical schemes which some are quite keen on. Everyone claims to have made money in years past, but when you try it, it doesn't quite work out. I spent a fortune in the late 70's and early 80's going to seminars, reading all sorts of trading books by guys who claimed to have uncovered the secrets to perpetual cash flow. Luckily, I never hesrd of Bernie Madoff!

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
quote:
here were guys who made real good money with mechanical trading systems. They would figure out that if you sold September Soybeans the first week of March, and bought them back in July, you would make 150% most years, a few years between 50 and 100% and 3 years lost $50, all the way back to 1910 or so.

I just made that up as an example, mind you. There were dozens of them like that. They made money selling these trading schemes with ads in money making magazines. There was no internet back then, no computers in private hands.

There are technical schemes which some are quite keen on. Everyone claims to have made money in years past, but when you try it, it doesn't quite work out. I spent a fortune in the late 70's and early 80's going to seminars, reading all sorts of trading books by guys who claimed to have uncovered the secrets to perpetual cash flow. Luckily, I never hesrd of Bernie Madoff!

this made me chuckle as I shook my head and said, "yep" Wink
And just not the last sentence.

And yep, wow all in 3,4 or five weeks too Roll Eyes .

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
There were guys who made real good money with mechanical trading systems. They would figure out that if you sold September Soybeans the first week of March, and bought them back in July, you would make 150% most years.......

Frozen OJ anyone...

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K0oYcGD9V0

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10892 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post