SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Britain buckles under 89 °F temps
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Britain buckles under 89 °F temps Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kampfhamster:
air humidity is way higher over here in Europe.

Nope.

A large swath of the US routinely has high humidity. (70s to 90s percent humidity)

The average humidity where I live is around 80%, compared to Switzerland at 73%. And there are other areas in the US that are even more humid than Arkansas.

quote:
When I was in Arizona a couple years back, 30° with the low humidity more felt like a nice 20 to 25° Celsius.

Deserts have low humidity. Arizona is in the desert, and averages humidities in the 20 to 50 percent.

But that is the exception, not the norm... The majority of the US is not a desert.

(Keep in mind that the US is 238x larger than Switzerland, and is made up of a much wider variety of climates.)

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I've lived my whole life in the Baton Rouge Louisiana area and had AC my whole life. During my time in the Army in West Germany there was no AC there didn't need it. But here in South LA with the heat and humidity you need it.
So I feel for folks over there if they are not used to it and not equipped for it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: charlie12,

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Does it affect the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
After all of our good natured ribbing tac, has there been any kind of relief or are you guys still experiencing the heat wave?

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
After all of our good natured ribbing tac, has there been any kind of relief or are you guys still experiencing the heat wave?

What kind of relief are you envisaging? Water carts patroling the streets hosing down the natives? Free a/c to the homeless?

What then?

At this very minute it's 88F and I'm sitting indoors, having been out shopping. Being a Northern Scand by ancestry genome, I'm more comfortable with the weather at around the high fifties, early sixties, so why shouldn't I tend to feel uncomfortable hot right now? Living and working in Tokyo for almost eight years was a real penance for me, but not once did I fall over screaming about the heat and the humidity. I just sucked it up and got on with it - the sun shone on everybody, and when it rained, and boy did it rain, I got as wet as everybody else, too.

No doubt a couple of million Bris and others who live here are enjoying the sun at the coast, and inland at the places that tourists go to, but surprise surprise, they just don't seem to be dropping like flies in a blowlamp.

As ever,you are getting the corner tidbit of a much larger picture, all in the name of news-selling sensationalism.

As I noted, this heat is some twenty degrees hotter than normal, and some folks are whinging about it, but the mass hysteria and rioting that you guys seem to believe is filling the streets really is not happening.

A/c in most public buildings of ANY was not deemed a necessity until the early 1980's, but it's not because the backward old UK is just too poor to be able either to afford to fit it, or lacking in the technology to make and install it. It was just not a thing that happened here. In fact, there is a new village ot some 12,000 homes being built on an old American airbase not far from where we live, and I can reliably inform you that not a single one of the houses there, priced up to $1.25Million, will have aircon as built.

Sure the FACILITIES will have a/c, but not the homes.

tac

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tacfoley,

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Does it affect the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

European or ?????

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
What kind of relief are you envisaging?

In America “relief” from the weather usually refers to a change in the weather: If it’s relief from heavy rains and flooding, it stops raining; if it’s relief from cold weather, it gets warmer; if it’s relief from hot weather, it gets cooler. Even if it’s relief from some human activity such as a heavy work load, it usually refers to a spontaneous lessening of whatever is going on, not that some social service workers come in and make everyone stop working so hard or take over and do someone’s job for him.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
What kind of relief are you envisaging?

In America “relief” from the weather usually refers to a change in the weather: If it’s relief from heavy rains and flooding, it stops raining; if it’s relief from cold weather, it gets warmer; if it’s relief from hot weather, it gets cooler. Even if it’s relief from some human activity such as a heavy work load, it usually refers to a spontaneous lessening of whatever is going on, not that some social service workers come in and make everyone stop working so hard or take over and do someone’s job for him.

The UK is not so civilised.

I have not noticed anything changing here, except that the ellifunts in the zoos get watered somewhat more.

Maybe where you live you can change the weather when it is unsuitable. Here in UK we get on with whatever happens.

tac

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I get my news from that part of the globe from tac

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Okaaaaaaaaaaaaay. South Wales is due some torrential thunder storms with up to an inch and half of rain in an hour, maybe less time than that. From now until 10pm.

Sadly, that's almost 300 miles from London, and 350 from us...89F here right now.

More brush fires, with around 200 firefighters attending the scene near Bolton in the North West. The land there is peaty heath, divisional firefighter boss man says it will take at least a week to put out the underlying fires where the underpeat is burning - maybe longer. A man has been arrested for deliberately setting the fire.

Some people are just not worth the space they occupy.

tac

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I wish it was only 89 around here.

Yeah, me, too.

Down on the lower Potomac river yesterday morning (1000) the thermometer read 110 degrees!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I had to drive through downtown DC yesterday and the car thermometer showed over 100

Heat indexes (heat + humidity) will be in the triple digits for the next week it looks like, maybe topping the 110 mark towards the end of the week

June was actually unseasonable cool at times (low to mid 80s)

Looks like July may get the last laugh

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Okaaaaaaaaaaaaay. South Wales is due some torrential thunder storms with up to an inch and half of rain in an hour, maybe less time than that. From now until 10pm.

Sadly, that's almost 300 miles from London, and 350 from us...89F here right now.

More brush fires, with around 200 firefighters attending the scene near Bolton in the North West. The land there is peaty heath, divisional firefighter boss man says it will take at least a week to put out the underlying fires where the underpeat is burning - maybe longer. A man has been arrested for deliberately setting the fire.

tac

Sorry to hear that your country has the same idiots that we have here in ours. I can't imagine what would make someone set fire to something for the sole purpose of destruction and mayhem. Here's hoping they get it contained quicker than projected. Gotta be tougher on the firemen as well. That extra heat can't be helping them Mad

I and everyone else on this forum will gladly agree with your last comment. Plenty out there that are just stealing our oxygen.

As a reminder to everyone, we are heading into the "dog days". Just gonna get hotter and muggier. Drink plenty of water folks.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:

tac

Sorry to hear that your country has the same idiots that we have here in ours. I can't imagine what would make someone set fire to something for the sole purpose of destruction and mayhem. Here's hoping they get it contained quicker than projected. Gotta be tougher on the firemen as well. That extra heat can't be helping them Mad

I and everyone else on this forum will gladly agree with your last comment. Plenty out there that are just stealing our oxygen.

As a reminder to everyone, we are heading into the "dog days". Just gonna get hotter and muggier. Drink plenty of water folks.

Thanks for the sympathetic post, Sir. The fire over in the NW is getting worse - another sixty firefighters are on the location, which is around six miles long. Locals are feeding them water and cool-down stuff as the temperature there is around the edge of the flame-line is 140F or so.

I'm reminded of the 15-y/o kid recently who deliberately dropped a lit firework into the tinder-dry undergrowth of the Eagle Creek National Forest along I84 in the Columbia River Gorge. And laughed while he did it.

Some joke, right?

He recently appeared in court and was fined $36 Million...if he spent the rest of his useless life planting trees to replace the 18,000 acres he destroyed for fun, he'd still be way short of paying that. I'm looking forward to seeing him laugh THAT off.

tac

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Newbury, Berks, UK: July 5th

91 degrees

Y'all need some better asphalt over there!

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Dayum! Eek

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the Bluegrass State yesterday we were at 96°, 69% (75° dew point) humidity for a feels like temp. of 108°.

This is your standard type summer weather around here, and growing up there wasn't a lot of AC.

I was on a nice comfortable school bus yesterday. So, yeah. I know hot.

Arman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

91 degrees

That's not melted asphalt. If it was, the front tires would be causing streaks. That is simply a road collapse due to weight over a void. You can clearly see a cavity under the pavement and sub-grade.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Let's see 115 yesterday in Phoenix, that was hot even by our standards. Next week we're in Raleigh, North Carolina where our daughter will shooting in the Junior Olympic Outdoor Nationals. Weather forecast is brutal with temps in the 97-99 degree range, coupled with high humidity their heat index will probably be greater than Phoenix's next week.

Supposedly there's a conference call among judges and tournament organizers today about scheduling. USA Archery has a policy of delaying events when the heat index is over 105. That's a very real possibility for next week...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

91 degrees

That's not melted asphalt. If it was, the front tires would be causing streaks. That is simply a road collapse due to weight over a void. You can clearly see a cavity under the pavement and sub-grade.

I guess the UK has shitty union construction contract too! Big Grin Just like Chicago, takes 5 years to do a 1 year job and the work only lasts about 2 years! Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post