SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Britain buckles under 89 °F temps
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Britain buckles under 89 °F temps Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I scheduled a repair to the top of a chimney today for the morning before it got to hot... when I came down at 11:00 the roof was already 150 degrees.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Let's just have a reality check for a moment before you start taking the piss out of the Brits [again]. If you put London on the same latitude in North America, you'd find that it situated some 90 miles North of Calgary.

There has to be a reason why so many Americans who live WAAAAAAY South of that location go and live in Florida during the winter months, or vice-versa.

The average annual temperature in the part of UK that we live works out at 58F, with highs of 75F and lows of -10F.

Extremes of weather do not happen in the British Isles.

To the people living here, 90F IS an extreme weather condition.

tac

Oh noes, WEATHER!

Tell everyone in Britain to go outside and pretend they are eating really hot soup and blow....Maybe they can get the air moving a little better Big Grin

It's fun watching folks complain about melting roads, no air conditioning, and other such niceties that our ancestors never had. I can see it now.....Vikings from Scandinavia packing it in and going home because it's too hot to pillage Roll Eyes

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
89F (31.9C)

imagehost

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha, repeating what my exwife family would say: "Fook'the Brits".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Let's just have a reality check for a moment before you start taking the piss out of the Brits [again]. If you put London on the same latitude in North America, you'd find that it situated some 90 miles North of Calgary.

That's not an accurate reflection of climate there though due to ocean currents and whatnot.

Though I do agree that it is "extreme weather" for those who live there. My in-laws live in the Brittany region of France near the coast and start freaking out when the temperature gets over 75F.

wife and I standing at a bus stop in Trafalgar Square one morning about 10 yrs ago, in March,
sun was out but we were in the shade of a few buildings,

it was chilly, maybe mid 30F's,

young guy, maybe 25, wearing a light jacket, T-shirt under it, shorts and tennis shoes walks up, sees us bundled up, and says,

"just another balmy summer day in Scotland"

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let's just have a reality check for a moment before you start taking the piss out of the Brits [again].

tac, I'm sure you realize this has been something of a sport here since at least the 1760's. Probably earlier.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: deepocean,

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
102° in Colorado today. Bin'ness as usual.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Interesting that the asphalt is melting at that temperature. If that happened here, most of the roads in the country would be impassible. Are there different types of road tar?
That was my first thought also. What kind of asphalt do they make there that can't take a 90 degree day or two?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Psssssshh...spring day in The Lone Star State.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
But no doubt the "Asians" are pigs in shit, to use a totally inappropriate analogy.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Well played, sir. Well played, indeed Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
To the people living here, 90F IS an extreme weather condition.

Tac, extreme, IMO, is a relative term. In Texas, extreme exists well above 100F and well below freezing. As someone said once “location, location, location”.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
89?

Hell, that's "I'd better go mow the lawn before it gets hot" weather.

Big Grin

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Uh huh Roll Eyes

hahaha! Good stuff, para!

Posts: 8613 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Man I think I would love the weather over there. We had a couple of Hundred degree days last week and I’m not handling it as well as I used to. We were at a baseball tournament on n Gulfport and the temps on the artificial turf fields were over 115 degrees.

I am recovering from surgery so that may have had something to do with it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Hosing down the bridge is pretty funny.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Amateurs!

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife and I were in London 14 days ago. Highs in the low to mid 60's. Glad we missed the heat wave.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Before I moved to Texas I thought 90 was hell.....then I lived in AZ, now I am good to 95 or so....

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
S/E Michigan is predicted to be in the 90's Friday thru Monday. And if true to form the humidity will be close behind.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post