SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Britain buckles under 89 °F temps
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Britain buckles under 89 °F temps Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
They need a calibration trip to Phoenix.

“Britain has recorded its hottest day of the year for the third consecutive day as temperatures close in on 90F (32C), as the extreme heat caused main roads to crumble away.

Gritters and emergency 'action teams' have hit the streets of the country in a bid to stop the tar on motorways and vital access roads from melting away in the burning heat.

It comes as the temperature record for the year was smashed this afternoon, with 89F (31.9C) registered in Portmadog in Wales.

Soaring temperatures even saw some roads crumble underneath the wheels of drivers, with reports of tar melting away and sticking to the tyres of motorists in Ireland.

The sweltering conditions even caused Barton Swing Bridge in Salford, Lancashire to expand, forcing firemen to douse the expanded metal frame in cold water for half an hour to get it to return to normal…”

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic...018-today-again.html

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Bahhahahahahahahahah!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
What the hell?

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got up early on Monday to go shooting. 39 degrees.
Jolly good show!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
And none of them have AC either.

quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
What the hell?

Have you ever been there? It's cool usually even in the summer, 89 to them is probably like 110 to us.

Posts: 33767 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
“Britain has recorded its hottest day of the year for the third consecutive day as temperatures close in on 90F (32C), as the extreme heat caused main roads to crumble away.
Uh huh Roll Eyes

Posts: 107493 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

A bitter joke among British sports car owners:

Why do the British drink warm beer?

Because they have Lucas refrigerators.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
89?, that’s a pleasant morning in Houston, then it gets hot.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I was there in June of 2000 when the temperature got into the upper 80s (around 31 celsius) and you would have thought the end of the world was upon us.

Lots of places without air conditioning. No one has fans even.

It was 10 degrees cooler than where I left (central Virginia)

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

A bitter joke among British sports car owners:

Why do the British drink warm beer?

Because they have Lucas refrigerators.

Big Grin Having owned British cars and motorcycles in the 70's, this made me laugh.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The ancestors of these people survived hostile climates all over this planet.

Get these people a gigantic tampon.

Posts: 107493 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
thats what it cools off to at night around here

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I wish it was only 89 around here.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I suppose we can shut off the Gulf Stream for them. That should cool things off a bit over there.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I just checked - my swimming pool is at 88

pansies

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Let's just have a reality check for a moment before you start taking the piss out of the Brits [again]. If you put London on the same latitude in North America, you'd find that it situated some 90 miles North of Calgary.

There has to be a reason why so many Americans who live WAAAAAAY South of that location go and live in Florida during the winter months, or vice-versa.

The average annual temperature in the part of UK that we live works out at 58F, with highs of 75F and lows of -10F.

Extremes of weather do not happen in the British Isles.

To the people living here, 90F IS an extreme weather condition.

tac

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
That explanation may have worked in the days before travel, but I’m assuming at least some UK residents have traveled to warmer climes in Spain, etc.

89 degrees is by no stretch of the imagination extreme. Yes, I’m from the Caribbean, but I have lived in Chicago for a couple years. The human body can adapt.

It’s not as if the weather spiked to 105+ like it did in France a few years back...

As for your latitude... I’d check on the Gulf Stream Wink Physically, the UK may be located at a particular latitude but due to the aforementioned GS the climate is much, much more similar to a more Southern latitude.

Posts: 2324 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Interesting that the asphalt is melting at that temperature. If that happened here, most of the roads in the country would be impassible. Are there different types of road tar?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It may seem an extreme weather condition to Britons, but that doesn't make it an actual extreme weather condition.

(We do it here - Texans freak out at temperatures even approaching freezing, but that doesn't mean that those temperatures are really very cold.)

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Let's just have a reality check for a moment before you start taking the piss out of the Brits [again]. If you put London on the same latitude in North America, you'd find that it situated some 90 miles North of Calgary.

That's not an accurate reflection of climate there though due to ocean currents and whatnot.

Though I do agree that it is "extreme weather" for those who live there. My in-laws live in the Brittany region of France near the coast and start freaking out when the temperature gets over 75F.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post