SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Windows 7 - After Latest Microsoft Update I Can't Connect to the Internet!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windows 7 - After Latest Microsoft Update I Can't Connect to the Internet! Login/Join 
Picture of John Steed
posted
I had to restore a previous version of Windows to regain access to the internet.

I know some will say that I should have updated to Windows 10 when it was free, but I didn't. Any help is appreciated.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2079 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it's update related but since I updated two weeks ago I get these "gotomeeting has stopped working" messages and I can't get rid of them. I can't uninstall it. I can't reinstall it and I've tried shutting off the process, removing it from the system startup and the worst part is that the messages stack on top of one another so if I leave the computer idle for a while I might have 20 crash messages. It's long overdue for a reinstall (last time was about 10 years ago) but it's been working pretty good up until now.

Sorry for the rant and hope you get a solution to your problem. I only shared this because I have both Windows 7 and 10 and I will hold out as long as I can before I swing another machine over to 10.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
My win 7 machines connect fine.

hardware compatibility issue I'd wager.

Posts: 5131 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Somewhere down the line, my PC got much more finicky about connecting. Not change in hardware. I'm guessing they updated the winsock driver and it added some sort of bug. If I try to connect a couple of times, it usually works eventually. Sometimes it even works on the first shot.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
My W7 desktop connects fine, but 6-ish months ago one of those monthly wrap-ups crashed my system at restart and I had to restore to previous version to get it to run. I did a total OS reload and I have stopped accepting any optional updates and the monthly security wrap-ups. I will accept W7, Office and other security updates.

Is this a desktop with an ethernet connection to your router or a wireless laptop connection? Was there an "optional" update for one of those drivers in the update? With the working version can you go to Device Manager and see if any of those drivers indicate there is a newer update? Does the computer OEM website list a driver package update for one of those? Updating drivers from Microsoft, the computer OEM or the actual device OEM is a balancing act. Probably lots of opinions on which ones to use. Update one at a time and use restore if you find the one with the conflict.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Have you tried unplugging your router for about a minute than plug it back in to let it reset. (Not just power off).

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
1) Is this a desktop with an ethernet connection to your router or a wireless laptop connection?

2) Was there an "optional" update for one of those drivers in the update?

3) With the working version can you go to Device Manager and see if any of those drivers indicate there is a newer update?

4) Does the computer OEM website list a driver package update for one of those?

5) Updating drivers from Microsoft, the computer OEM or the actual device OEM is a balancing act. Probably lots of opinions on which ones to use.

6) Update one at a time and use restore if you find the one with the conflict.
Thanks for this check list. Much appreciated.

Answers / Comments:

1) Desktop with Ethernet cable from router.

2) Honestly, I don't know. I have allowed automatic updates for years. That was probably a mistake, but it has worked fine for 5+ years.

3) Will do.

4) Will check as much as I can. It is an old computer. The guys that built it went out of business.

5) Good information. I used to do this type thing a lot but that was 10 years ago or so. Amazing how much you forget.

6) I will follow this recommendation.

Thanks to all. As I said, it's an old computer but I like it. If all else fails, I may disconnect from the internet and just use it to access the printer, store large files, etc. Then buy a used wireless laptop for e-mail, web browsing, visiting Forums, etc.

Posts: 2079 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Some current Windows shit that usually happens is that it won't recognize the network thus not granting U internet access. Would keep an eye if it happens again.

A good question is are U using DHCP or fixed IP. As much as possible I stick to fixed ones so my devices will see each other even if the router goes belly up.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12107 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Some current Windows shit that usually happens is that it won't recognize the network thus not granting U internet access. Would keep an eye if it happens again.

A good question is are U using DHCP or fixed IP. As much as possible I stick to fixed ones so my devices will see each other even if the router goes belly up.

0-0

That is what I would have said. Big Grin

Truthfully, I wish I knew what O-O was talking about.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen ,
If you still have Windows 7 and do not want to be forcibly updated to Windows 10 , download a little 82kb program called " Never 10 ", run it and you will stay on Windows 7 .
Best .

Posts: 132 | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been off line with no power or ISP (Irma) for a week, when I booted up at 7 PM I found several up-dates waiting including critical ones.
I installed all of them----Internet explorer disappeared from my machine.
I was left with my old cranky email program which still worked.

I restored Windows to 10 September and "found" Internet explorer.

Obviously one of the up-dates screwed the pouch.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Windows Updates are the cash cow for blame of all things.
I know, I know it "wasn't" doing it before {fill in the blank}~ I hear that ALL the time.
The thing is that it doesn't say what the problem is.
COULD BE ANYTHING.
Unless you systematically go through a bonafide check list you don't actually know what the problem was and or is.
NO INTERNET could be many things.
So what I am saying is that the data is insufficient to determine the actual issue.

Posts: 22899 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:

Truthfully, I wish I knew what O-O was talking about.

Since W7 and onward, MS added the Network and Sharing Center screen where U see what type connections you are using (wired and wifi), how the system recognized your network (home, work and public), etc. From there U can access your NIcs screen and change your adapter settings, change the adv. settings, etc.

Sometimes, too often if you ask me, your network will no longer be recognized as your home or office one and suddenly become a Public one. That is a bitch. No internet for you, Sir, if you are in dark territories.

It's a PITA to go back to a Home or Work network type again and usually it involves disabling ALL network adapters, reboot and enable one by one, waiting for the network type screen to pop up and let you pick the one that suits you.

If the fixed vs automatic (DHCP provided) IP is your question then think of it as a postal address. If you have one (fixed) the letter will find you. If you do not have one and rely on the postman to find your home, then the day the postman is sick you will get no mail.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12107 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Are you getting some sort of "Can't Connect To WiFi" issue? I had the same problem with a system running 8.1.

Microsoft really wants you to upgrade to 10. I am convinced this is intentional.

Your system will receive periodic updates. The updates will compile on your system. Dates to which you can roll your system back to move forward, too. You keep rolling your OS back to a point when it operated properly. But eventually you won't be able to roll your operating system back to a point before you got the update that broke your internet connection.

I tried and tried to fix the above error. Hard wiring my computer via an ethernet cable didn't fix it either. My best friend is a network engineer for a bank and he is well aware of this problem and said it couldn't be fixed without reinstalling the operating system. I did that but then it self-updated and applied the update that broke the internet connection. Then the problem starts anew.

I had to take it to a computer repair place, the first time in my life I couldn't fix it myself, and he confirmed this is a common issue with allowing a computer to automatically apply updates. He had pass key to windows 10 and installed that and i haven't had an issue since.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
after my most recent update, I got the Blue Screen of Death and had to boot in safe mode, and restore to three days earlier

didn't lose any info but it was a PITA

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure the last update caused the "Can't Open Page" problem.

The problem occurred after the latest update (Sept. 13) and vanished when I restored the previous configuration of the OS.

However, I didn't turn off the auto update function, so after I powered down / powered up again, the update was auto-reinstalled, and the "Can't Open Page" message popped up every time I tried to access the SigForum or whatever web page.

So I had to once again restore the previous OS version and like magic, I am on the SigForum again.

I am going to print out all the advice given here and see what I can do on my own. I am not going to install W10 on this machine. If I have to, I will get a wireless laptop for connecting to the web.

posted Hide Post
It's frustrating that you're having problems with a wired network rather than wireless - you'd think that after a couple decades, they'd have wired issues resolved.

Your last post points pretty conclusively to MS somehow ruining a usable system. The challenge is to figure out how they did it.

You should be able to see what updates were installed just before the network died. I'd check to see if one of the updates is a driver for your ethernet card; I'd think that would be the culprit.

If that is the case, you could try the ethernet card's vendor for the newest driver; a new enough driver from the vendor should keep MS from trying to update it to their own apparently broken driver.

Another alternative is to turn off auto-updates forever. Not let it install anything without your say-so. Then let it install updates other than the ethernet driver.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2066 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
Check and make sure your system's date and time is actually correct.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went through the updates, all ten of them, one by one, when KB4038777 is installed, Internet Explorer 11 disappears completely. Uninstall KB4038777 everything is back to normal.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
No Win7 problems here, fwiw.

I hope you get it resolved.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post