SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So, you won a marathon despite being half-carried across the finish line?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, you won a marathon despite being half-carried across the finish line? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'll withhold judgement until race officials make a determination.

Is Dr Self noted as the winner in official results? If so, the race director allowed the finish assistance. And yes, you've got to read the entire article to understand that Self received help in the last few steps.

Last Saturday, I paced my 20 year old son on his first marathon in Tucson (my 24th Wink). From mile 20 to the end, he wanted to walk, crawl, give up, sit down, run, jog etc. Many times I pulled his arm or got under his shoulder to get him moving. But he did finish on his own power. I knew we weren't competing for top finishers etc.

I've had a few finishes that I wasn't proud of (legs felt like concrete, lost my hearing or sense of bearing), but I finished. I don't think any race director gives a crap about participants getting some help, as long as they're not competing for prize money, points, etc. Race directors' prime concern is collecting registration fees. Big Grin

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not a very competitive race if someone can get helped 2 miles to the finish and "win".

Giving verbal encouragement for two miles isn't the same as carrying the runner.

This is far from the first time it happened. but according to the rules of the major sanctioning agencies, it is not permitted. Yet some races have allowed it to happen. although it was not for a win.

quote:
While some might perceive the runners who disapprove of giving official finishes to those who do it with aid as cold-hearted, these disapproving runners do have the rules on their side.

The Boston Marathon officially follows the rules set forth by the International Association of Athletic Federations (IAAF), USA Track and Field (USATF), and Abbot World Marathon Majors. The IAAF and USATF rules spell out that runners must finish a race under their own power in order to receive an official time or medal.

According to Boston spokesperson T.K. Skendrian, all runners must sign an agreement that they will abide by the rules set out by these organizations. However, he explains, “I think these governing bodies rely on race organizers to make the judgments on certain incidents,” he says. “We have not disqualified people in the past (for this infraction), but we’d look closely at each incident.”

Some other major marathons are likely to look the other way too. Just one week after Boston, another photo grabbed the public’s attention as Matthew Rees helped David Wyeth across the finish line of the London Marathon. Event director Hugh Brashner had this to say about the incident: “It’s a simple story of one person helping another in their moment of need. Neither runner was trying to win the race. The marathon, above all mass participation events, is grueling and involves determination, commitment, camaraderie and togetherness. Matthew’s gesture demonstrated this wonderfully.”

The ultra-running world, however, isn’t so accommodating. At the 2006 Western States 100, competitor Brian Morrison was within 300 meters of winning the race that year when he began stumbling and falling down. His official pacers—one of which was famed trail ultrarunner Scott Jurek—repeatedly helped him to his feet and got him across the line. “The race finishes in a stadium and the assistance was out in the open and very obvious,” says Western States race director Craig Thornley. “One of our rules is that you must finish under your own power, so we had no choice but to disqualify him.”

Read more at http://running.competitor.com/...#QVxaHA2Wi0ggPf4H.99

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
I'll withhold judgement until race officials make a determination.

Is Dr Self noted as the winner in official results? If so, the race director allowed the finish assistance. And yes, you've got to read the entire article to understand that Self received help in the last few steps.

Last Saturday, I paced my 20 year old son on his first marathon in Tucson (my 24th Wink). From mile 20 to the end, he wanted to walk, crawl, give up, sit down, run, jog etc. Many times I pulled his arm or got under his shoulder to get him moving. But he did finish on his own power. I knew we weren't competing for top finishers etc.

I've had a few finishes that I wasn't proud of (legs felt like concrete, lost my hearing or sense of bearing), but I finished. I don't think any race director gives a crap about participants getting some help, as long as they're not competing for prize money, points, etc. Race directors' prime concern is collecting registration fees. Big Grin

Self was indeed declared the winner, after some deliberation by officials. This race was not run under the authority of whatever sanctioning body governs marathons; therefore, they could choose to allow her to receive some assistance.

The second place finisher was apparently OK with giving Self the win.

The 17 YO girl was part of a “marathon relay team.” She was not competing with Self.

There are headlines screaming “Heroic Win.” I’ll buy heroic finish, “win” I’m struggling with.

Funny thing is, if you read the comments to HuffPo’s article, several people referred to the HS girl’s actions as “sportswomanship.” I thought there had been a 20 year + campaign to remove gender identifiers. Silly me

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
The race committee gave Self the win. She "finished" two and a half minutes ahead of second, even with help. Supposedly receiving help from another competitor is a grey area, and no one protested. There's no real prize for winning this one, so I guess no one wanted to be the Grinch.

Locally, the story is more about Luterman, who is not only a great athlete, but also a good person. She has her own non-profit and runs to raise money for homeless kids.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
The race committee gave Self the win. She "finished" two and a half minutes ahead of second, even with help. Supposedly receiving help from another competitor is a grey area, and no one protested. There's no real prize for winning this one...

I'll play the Grinch here. She could have completely collapsed, unable to move further. But, since she got the lift, we'll never know. Big Grin

And, are you sure there are no prizes for winners? Dallas is a pretty big marathon. I remember when I did one many years ago (late 80s), when it was still the Dallas White Rock Marathon, there were winner prizes.

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
That's a totally bogus "win".

On a side note: When did it become popular for the general public to voluntarily attempt duplicating an event in which the original participant DIED? Until sometime in the 80s, I honestly don't remember anyone outside of gym class or military basic training running unless something was chasing them.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:

I saw that 1897 was the first Boston Marathon. Further reading would suggest that it took about 3/4 of a century before running became mainstream. Thereafter, the growth in the sport can be tracked by the number of sports medicine clinics in operation. Razz

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
This is the first thing I thought of when I saw your question

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
The race committee gave Self the win. She "finished" two and a half minutes ahead of second, even with help. Supposedly receiving help from another competitor is a grey area, and no one protested. There's no real prize for winning this one...

I'll play the Grinch here. She could have completely collapsed, unable to move further. But, since she got the lift, we'll never know. Big Grin

And, are you sure there are no prizes for winners? Dallas is a pretty big marathon. I remember when I did one many years ago (late 80s), when it was still the Dallas White Rock Marathon, there were winner prizes.

According to the following article, there was no prize money.

All you need to know about Sunday's BMW Dallas Marathon, including the elite field chock full of local runners

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

Self was indeed declared the winner, after some deliberation by officials. This race was not run under the authority of whatever sanctioning body governs marathons; therefore, they could choose to allow her to receive some assistance.

The second place finisher was apparently OK with giving Self the win.

The 17 YO girl was part of a “marathon relay team.” She was not competing with Self.

There are headlines screaming “Heroic Win.” I’ll buy heroic finish, “win” I’m struggling with.

Funny thing is, if you read the comments to HuffPo’s article, several people referred to the HS girl’s actions as “sportswomanship.” I thought there had been a 20 year + campaign to remove gender identifiers. Silly me

Well, if the race director is good with it and the second place finisher is good with it, it's all good. And I assume the relay team is OK with Luterman sacrificing a few seconds off their finish time. Kudos to Luterman. I've encouraged many runners who were running/walking in the latter stages of a race.

Unaided, Self could have withered on the ground with a massive cramped muscle or passed out. Even 2.5 minutes behind, second place runner could have caught up.

This just goes to prove that runners are weird......really weird.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Who in the hell thinks that this is a good thing to do to your body?

These people are batshit crazy.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Help getting up...ok, good. If she would not have crossed or placed in top positions without the help forward, I'd cry foul.

She should have done it on and by-her-own.....(wait for it) Self!

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
Help getting up...ok, good. If she would not have crossed or placed in top positions without the help forward, I'd cry foul.

To claim the win under those conditions does seem rather, well, Self-ish.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2082 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Steed:
quote:

To claim the win under those conditions does seem rather, well, Self-ish.

Oh, the irony. She should be embarrassed for accepting that trophy. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

That's my (non-medical) opinion as well. Makes me queasy to think of all the weird things going on inside your body when you push it to exhaustion and beyond. No, thanks.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

That's my (non-medical) opinion as well. Makes me queasy to think of all the weird things going on inside your body when you push it to exhaustion and beyond. No, thanks.

This is true, anything taken to an extreme isn’t healthy. Cossfit competitions, marathons, bodybuilding, powerlifting. That is devoting oneself to it, dabbling and entering an amateur competition on occasion would be different.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is hard to tell from the videos, but giving Self the benefit of the doubt, Luterman definitely helped her up a couple of times, but it's not clear how much help she's giving her moving forward other than stabilizing her. OTOH, I have seen runners get within 25 yards of a finish and not be able to cross it with any help short of a stretcher.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post