SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So, you won a marathon despite being half-carried across the finish line?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, you won a marathon despite being half-carried across the finish line? Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
How is this a victory? Confused

http://start.att.net/news/read...t-ap/category/sports

High School Student Carries Collapsed Marathoner To Victory

Sports 7 Hours Ago
The Associated Press

DALLAS (AP) — In just 24 hours, her face and name have become world famous for what's seen as a supreme act of sportsmanship.

Dallas-area high school student Ariana Luterman was finishing the anchor leg of a girls' relay in Sunday's Dallas Marathon when she saw the legs of the women's marathon leader, Dr. Chandler Self, start to buckle from exhaustion yards from the finish line.

Acting apparently instinctively, Luterman helped Self to her feet and half-carried her to the finish line, giving the New York City psychiatrist the women's championship. Self's family later told her she'd been credited with the win.

Self said Luterman came alongside her two miles from the finish and encouraged her to finish the race. Video of the finish has gone viral.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a DQ in my book.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
That's a DQ in my book.

Yep.
This the BMW Dallas Marathon (formerly Dallas White Rock Marathon). I'm surprised the runner-up didn't protest this bullshit.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
bullshit

Exactly!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I agree, they just lowered the bar of winning. She mis-calculated her ability to stay ahead of the others and her body gave out because of her pace.

That’s like not taking in fuel to save time and remain the leader only to run out of fuel and have another car push you from behind to win the race. I hope I never see that happen in NASCAR.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Not a very competitive race if someone can get helped 2 miles to the finish and "win".

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Be about like a NASCAR race and the leader runs out of gas and someone pushing him across the line

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a dq for both. Admirable sportsmanship sure, but a disqualification none the less.

I'm a deplorable.

Posts: 671 | Location: Fargo ND | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Not a very competitive race if someone can get helped 2 miles to the finish and "win".

Not to worry. They will all be getting participation awards.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
Be about like a NASCAR race and the leader runs out of gas and someone pushing him across the line

Shake and Bake!

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a DQ in my book also.

Try that during a military PT test or a military school, and watch how quickly both soldiers would be DQ'd and marked as a failure.

I just don't see how you can be declared the winner. Like others have said, your body gave out and could not make it to the end on your own especially two miles out.

And of course in today's society, like everything else it went viral.

If they are going to lets stunts like that be acceptable why even have a finish line and 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc.. placements.

The problem is how can any self respecting person accept the award knowing they didn't finish on their own.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Very misleading wording. The "winner" and the helper first crossed paths at the 2 mile mark where the helper said some encouraging words. She didn't collapse until near the finish line. The helper only carried her for about 15 yds. Still, as you say very strange.

If the story was all about Ms. Luterman and her act of sacrificing some of her teams' own time to help another, that'd be great. But the fact that its about Self who needed help to "win" kind of spoils it for me.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
This one puzzled me as well, as to why the "winner" wasn't DQ'ed. Then I read that there was no prize purse, so the feel good story matters more than fair play. I don't think the Dallas Marathon is used as a qualifying race for professional and elite runners either, which may be all the more reason not to take it too seriously.

You want to see are real gutsy marathon finish? I remember seeing this in 1997, and it stuck w/ me how determined these two Iron [Wo]Man triathletes were over competing for fourth place.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
If that is legal, can I have someone carry me the whole race and I just run the last 15 yards and claim victory? If not, why? What is the cutoff point for receiving assistance? Bad precedent.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Shake and Bake? DQ? All of a sudden, I'm hungry.

Posts: 107495 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
I agree, they just lowered the bar of winning. She mis-calculated her ability to stay ahead of the others and her body gave out because of her pace.

That’s like not taking in fuel to save time and remain the leader only to run out of fuel and have another car push you from behind to win the race. I hope I never see that happen in NASCAR.

Not exactly the same, but . . . .

2011 U.S. Cellular 250 (Iowa, XFINITY Series)

Up in front, Ricky Stenhouse Jr. looked like he was going to take the checkered flag during the 2011 XFINITY U.S. Cellular 250 at Iowa Speedway. But unexpected trouble found the No. 6 car, as Stenhouse blew a motor just before crossing the line. Second-place Carl Edwards ran into the back of the No. 6, pushing Stenhouse across the start/finish line first. The shove handed Stenhouse the unexpected win, leaving Edwards with a runner-up finish.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:

Don't think to loudly on this. I'm waiting for bre-on francy pants to come up with something like relay racing for NASCAR or some other stoopid shit!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
quote:

Not exactly the same, but . . . .

2011 U.S. Cellular 250 (Iowa, XFINITY Series)

Up in front, Ricky Stenhouse Jr. looked like he was going to take the checkered flag during the 2011 XFINITY U.S. Cellular 250 at Iowa Speedway. But unexpected trouble found the No. 6 car, as Stenhouse blew a motor just before crossing the line. Second-place Carl Edwards ran into the back of the No. 6, pushing Stenhouse across the start/finish line first. The shove handed Stenhouse the unexpected win, leaving Edwards with a runner-up finish.

No not the same second place ran into the rear, not on purpose to push him across but as a result of the first place car speed slowing.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:

Well...

I remember watching this live.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a totally bogus "win".

On a side note: When did it become popular for the general public to voluntarily attempt duplicating an event in which the original participant DIED? Until sometime in the 80s, I honestly don't remember anyone outside of gym class or military basic training running unless something was chasing them.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post