SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quick Question About Why Sig Forum Is the Only Website I Can Load Right Now
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quick Question About Why Sig Forum Is the Only Website I Can Load Right Now Login/Join 
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted
"So what's the problem?" I hear you all saying.

Well, I'm in a hotel room right now trying to get some stuff done and nothing, websites, game servers, security system servers, nothing, is consistently available on my computer. I get data flowing for a bit, then nothing.

It's happening across all my browsers and as I said game servers, etc. My iPad is connecting fine.

This is a Win10 machine (please no snarky comments about Mac, they are dead to me since they quit making the 17" Macbook Pro).

Only SigForum comes through faithfully green. Any bright ideas what might be causing this weirdness?

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
An omen?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
I'm not saying it's aliens but,......it's aliens.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Well, two possibilities I won't discount...

However, I'm thinking Occam's Razor applies. I just need to learn what the simplest answer is.

Big Grin

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
"All of your websites are belong to us!"

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!
Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Must be the foil lining within the walls, SF is the only site that can penetrate foil, not so good with rubber walls though.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
I have had this same thing happen on several occasions with my laptop, but iPad is fine. I am interested in hearing how others have dealt with this issue.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Could it be because there are no ads and bloatware to slow the site down. I'm just throwing darts here.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Could it be because there are no ads and bloatware to slow the site down. I'm just throwing darts here.

Jim
I might have thought that, but I mean EVERYTHING, except Sigforum was timing out. I pulled up some of the simplest sites I could imagine, and they failed.

This could be related to the fact that in hotels when I get kicked from the network, sometimes, I have to use Sigforum to pull up the login screen. Other websites will simply give me a "can't connect" error. Sigforum is unique in its ability to cause the servers to allow me to go to the login page. I've often wondered if it's the forum software that is used.

Regardless....

I think the PFM wires got crossed then uncrossed and now everything is back up and running.

To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Will it load a internet speed test to check speed?

How about in the lobby would it work better?

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
easy answer

its the only place worth reading

Big Grin

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Wait... there are other sites on the internet?

Could you have some cookie issue or wall preventing other sites?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
Will it load a internet speed test to check speed?

How about in the lobby would it work better?
I tried pulling up a speed test and nada. Blank page.

I had a solid signal and my wireless diagnostics agreed I was hooked to the internet, so I didn't figure going to the lobby would help, though it might have being on a slightly different connection. The truly odd thing was that my iPad and my Android phone were unaffected.

The ability of Sigforum to junk-punch servers into submission though is actually common across all my platforms. I'm sure there's a Chuck Norris meme in all this.

Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Wait... there are other sites on the internet?

Could you have some cookie issue or wall preventing other sites?
One or two apparently. LOL

Not sure, but I run pretty tight restrictions on cookies. Except from old ladies in the neighborhood, that is. And Girl Scouts. This was a first time for this sort of oddity.

On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I find one needs to navigate to the hotels web site first.
After that, and logging on to the hotel WiFi, other sites start to work.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
I agree Patrick, though most login screens pop automatically reliably. I was already working through their connection though...but only to Sigforum. LOL