SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Win10 update kills Media Player, Movie Maker
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win10 update kills Media Player, Movie Maker Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

No, my point is asserting MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7 IS DEAD! UPGRADE NOW!!! is just a mite >< over the top.

I don't know any IT professionals that promote upgrading to Windows 10 without evaluating the current situation.

First, we don't like in place upgrades much at all.
Second, upgrading to old hardware is very "iffy" at best.
Third, upgrading without evaluating current software and device compatibility is a mistake.

Hey, if older compatible software, applications, and hardware is doing the job for you then why upgrade?

I do disagree with MS pushing even forcing an upgrade automatically (I can see the shock on your face now). Smile
Mostly because it does not consider all the above reasons.

Moving forward on Windows 10 with current 2017 hardware is definitely recommended.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
VLC is a good media player, and free.

Windows Media Player always halfway sucked.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Uhh, nope. No issue. And no, people using older versions of any hardware won't continue to get anything except *security* updates. That's because Win7 was a dead OS in 2015. Lifted from Microsoft's lifecycle web page:

As I said, the reason newer hardware isn't supported is because Microsoft is no longer developing for those OSes. Period.

Security bugfixes != development.

Exactly, developing drivers (on future hardware) for an extinct OS would be stupid.

If you're talking Redmond, maybe.

For hardware manufacturers, stupid would be ignoring a decently large market segment, and dealing with avoidable retail returns on new products, instead of doing some minor driver tweaks now and then. Wink

It's not a decently large market segment, though. It only feels that way because you're part of it.

Well show me what you got behind that assertion, please.

We are talking usage, not shipments. People selling hardware (and retail software, for that matter) need to deal with installed base, not the flavor of the month.

Here's what I have behind mine.

link1
link2
link3
link4
link5

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Uhh, nope. No issue. And no, people using older versions of any hardware won't continue to get anything except *security* updates. That's because Win7 was a dead OS in 2015. Lifted from Microsoft's lifecycle web page:

As I said, the reason newer hardware isn't supported is because Microsoft is no longer developing for those OSes. Period.

Security bugfixes != development.

Exactly, developing drivers (on future hardware) for an extinct OS would be stupid.

If you're talking Redmond, maybe.

For hardware manufacturers, stupid would be ignoring a decently large market segment, and dealing with avoidable retail returns on new products, instead of doing some minor driver tweaks now and then. Wink

It's not a decently large market segment, though. It only feels that way because you're part of it.

Well show me what you got behind that assertion, please.

We are talking usage, not shipments. People selling hardware (and retail software, for that matter) need to deal with installed base, not the flavor of the month.

Here's what I have behind mine.

link1
link2
link3
link4
link5

LOL

I'm not clicking any of those links. Wikipedia? The inquirer? Yeah, no.

I'm finished with this conversation. I don't know why I ever even bother trying to discuss computers with end users. It never ends well.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
"End users?!?!"

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I'm with nhtagmember.

I'm still running Windows 7 Home Premium.

I purposely blocked Windows 10. With extreme prejudice.

I'm going to go to another operating system next go around. I'm tired of Windows, source of the rootkit, incompetent lackeys idea of an OS.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
"End users?!?!"

Not you but more of people who make stupid statements like:

"I'm going to go to another operating system next go around. I'm tired of Windows, source of the rootkit, incompetent lackeys idea of an OS." Roll Eyes

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
There are more assholes in a technology discussion than a caliber war! Crazy!

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
There are more assholes in a technology discussion than a caliber war! Crazy!

9mm is better for action targets and 45 is best for bullseye...

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
quote:
"I'm going to go to another operating system next go around. I'm tired of Windows, source of the rootkit, incompetent lackeys idea of an OS."

There sure are.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Getting back on track, everything is as it was today.

For the heck of it, I rechecked at mpc-hc.org and they have a 64 bit version that wasn't up the other day. It now works as it did before.

Feeling lucky, I checked MS for any updates, yep, a pretty big one.

Who would have guessed, Movie Maker is fully functional now.

I had an easy and quick workflow for my simple needs, it's back on track.

VLC solved many problems but I wasn't fully up to speed. I'll put it on the back burner now until the time inevitably comes up that I'll need it. It didn't solve all my problems and I was still looking for another solution. Movie Maker converts files much quicker and easily and its outputs are compatible with one another. I have to say to world of video editing and manipulation is not that straightforward and intuitive, MPC x64 and Movie Maker do a lot of it for me.

Thanks to all, you guys are great.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post