SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Win10 update kills Media Player, Movie Maker
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win10 update kills Media Player, Movie Maker Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Your gripe about the media player shouldn't be with Microsoft, it should be with the developer of the software package for not keeping up with the times and releasing a new version that properly implements the features they are trying to sell.

Actually I wasn't that worried about the media player, I knew there were many alternatives but hadn't been forced to make a choice. VLC looks to be a great replacement.

Losing the Movie Maker, at least in part, was a problem. It looks like VLC will make up for Movie Maker's loss of full function -- format conversion primarily, so I think I'm good to go. Thanks.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
Your gripe about the media player shouldn't be with Microsoft, it should be with the developer of the software package for not keeping up with the times and releasing a new version that properly implements the features they are trying to sell.

Actually I wasn't that worried about the media player, I knew there were many alternatives but hadn't been forced to make a choice. VLC looks to be a great replacement.

Losing the Movie Maker, at least in part, was a problem. It looks like VLC will make up for Movie Maker's loss of full function -- format conversion primarily, so I think I'm good to go. Thanks.

Good deal.

Yeah, I discovered VLC about a decade or so ago. It's an awesome program, and I can't believe it's free.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's an awesome program, and I can't believe it's free.

It's more awesome than you know. Google "VLC hidden features" and enjoy. It's the Swiss Army knife of media players.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
running XP Pro and love it

works fine, runs all my programs

Greg, whily I agree with all my heart and moved reluctantly to W7 for the most part, I worry since Chrome won't update anymore and is currently my favored browser.
I run 10 pro on a couple of personal machines, just nuked and paved one at home and went back to W7 and have another turd at the office with all the built in apps disabled and begging for a head shot.

Is W10 a necessary evil? I believe that at this point in time the answer is still NO!

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Microsoft is killing support for 8.1 and below on the newest AMD and Intel processors" Uhh, maybe because 7 is already end of life, and Windows 8 will be in less than a year? Why would they continue to develop for OSes they've already declared dead?

Because my smug friend people who are using gen 6 Intel and Excavator AMD chips and older will still get updates on those versions of windows. and microsoft will actively work against people trying to run those versions of windows on their newer hardware.

Do you see the issue now?

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I have xp pro and it works just fine but no support etc. my computer is older then dirt and has been acting like it's about ready to kick the bucket so I just bought a new computer it's in transit and it has windows 10 now I'm worried. Frown

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
quote:
"Microsoft is killing support for 8.1 and below on the newest AMD and Intel processors" Uhh, maybe because 7 is already end of life, and Windows 8 will be in less than a year? Why would they continue to develop for OSes they've already declared dead?

Because my smug friend people who are using gen 6 Intel and Excavator AMD chips and older will still get updates on those versions of windows. and microsoft will actively work against people trying to run those versions of windows on their newer hardware.

Do you see the issue now?

Uhh, nope. No issue. And no, people using older versions of any hardware won't continue to get anything except *security* updates. That's because Win7 was a dead OS in 2015. Lifted from Microsoft's lifecycle web page:

Client operating systems Latest update or service pack End of mainstream support End of extended support
Windows XP Service Pack 3 April 14, 2009 April 8, 2014
Windows Vista Service Pack 2 April 10, 2012 April 11, 2017
Windows 7* Service Pack 1 January 13, 2015 January 14, 2020
Windows 8 Windows 8.1 January 9, 2018 January 10, 2023
Windows 10, released in July 2015** N/A October 13, 2020 October 14, 2025

As I said, the reason newer hardware isn't supported is because Microsoft is no longer developing for those OSes. Period.

Security bugfixes != development.

ETA: Wow, that formatting got all horked up.

The important thing worth noting is that End of Mainstream Support for Win7 SP1 was 1/13/2015.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Uhh, nope. No issue. And no, people using older versions of any hardware won't continue to get anything except *security* updates. That's because Win7 was a dead OS in 2015. Lifted from Microsoft's lifecycle web page:

As I said, the reason newer hardware isn't supported is because Microsoft is no longer developing for those OSes. Period.

Exactly, developing drivers (on future hardware) for an extinct OS would be stupid.

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
+2 on one of the updates that killed system restore. Nothing I have found, or tried will fix it. Tweaking.com has a download;

http://www.tweaking.com/conten...pair_all_in_one.html

where you can do a fast and easy registry save, and if needed, registry restore. Thanks MS for more crap, and headaches - You know, like the W10 anniversary update that took my 6 second booting laptop, to 30, and just loves to rearrange my desktop icons, etc.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Exactly, developing drivers (on future hardware) for an extinct OS would be stupid.

If these people had their way, cars would have reins instead of steering wheels. That way they would maintain backward compatibility with horses.

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
After all the doom and gloom threads in the past, I finally built a new computer this past Christmas and installed Win10 w/ great trepidation.

Turns out I actually like it.
AND, my MPC still plays movies.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If you're talking Redmond, maybe.

For hardware manufacturers, stupid would be ignoring a decently large market segment, and dealing with avoidable retail returns on new products, instead of doing some minor driver tweaks now and then. Wink

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
VLC is an awesome project; however, I used a lot of Hi-Def audio tracks in MKV container files. VLC never seems to bitstream these to my receiver correctly, so I stick with other solutions.

MPC-HC is pretty good media player, but you still need the proper codecs to get replay working correctly. (IIRC)

ALL OF THAT BEING SAID

I was really pissed when they killed Windows Media Center. They moved it from free to a paid-feature of Windows 8, and then said, "Well no one is using it anymore, so we're killing it for Windows 10."

Assholes. That was a fun little product, but it wasn't as much about the product (because codecs with it were a pain) but about the bullshit way that they did it, or at least the appearance thereof.

Is anyone using Kodi with hi-def audio tracks?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9157 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's because Win7 was a dead OS in 2015.

Looks around at all the fully-functional MS-Win7 desktops and laptops...

Huh...

quote:
Lifted from Microsoft's lifecycle web page:

Client operating systems Latest update or service pack End of mainstream support End of extended support

Won't be my issue at work, any more, because I'll be retired long before that. Won't be my issue at home because, upon the death of MS-WinXP I split my wife's desktop's disk, installed Linux Mint, then replaced MS-WinXP with MS-Win7 Pro.

Here's how much she'd used MS-Windows, since then: Me: "The printer scanner's working on your MS-Windows installation, right?" Her: "I don't know. I never use Windows, any more."

Mission accomplished! Smile

If Linux doesn't suit her every computing need when MS-Win7's security update support ceases, she'll be transitioned to a Mac. My support for MS-Windows ends with MS-Win7.

quote:
The important thing worth noting is that End of Mainstream Support for Win7 SP1 was 1/13/2015.

Somehow that hasn't appeared to be a problem, either at home or at work.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
quote:

If you're talking Redmond, maybe.

For hardware manufacturers, stupid would be ignoring a decently large market segment, and dealing with avoidable retail returns on new products, instead of doing some minor driver tweaks now and then. Wink

It's not a decently large market segment, though. It only feels that way because you're part of it.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
That's because Win7 was a dead OS in 2015.

Looks around at all the fully-functional MS-Win7 desktops and laptops...

Huh...

quote:
Lifted from Microsoft's lifecycle web page:

Won't be my issue at work, any more, because I'll be retired long before that. Won't be my issue at home because, upon the death of MS-WinXP I split my wife's desktop's disk, installed Linux Mint, then replaced MS-WinXP with MS-Win7 Pro.

Here's how much she'd used MS-Windows, since then: Me: "The printer scanner's working on your MS-Windows installation, right?" Her: "I don't know. I never use Windows, any more."

Mission accomplished! Smile

If Linux doesn't suit her every computing need when MS-Win7's security update support ceases, she'll be transitioned to a Mac. My support for MS-Windows ends with MS-Win7.

quote:

Somehow that hasn't appeared to be a problem, either at home or at work.

I saw a fully functional DOS 6.22 workstation about 6 weeks ago. 4 months ago I ran into a fully functional 3.11 workstation. Just because they may be out there somewhere doesn't mean they aren't still dead OSes.

Nothing is ever a problem, until it is.

I don't care what you say, or what crazy ideas you concoct to try to convince people to see it your way, but those of us that have professional knowledge of this subject will simply never agree with you.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't care what you say, or what crazy ideas you concoct to try to convince people to see it your way,

ISTM I'm not the one trying to convince anybody of anything--other than perhaps the assertion that "Windows 7 is dead" is just a bit of an exaggeration?

quote:
but those of us that have professional knowledge of this subject will simply never agree with you.

(Why is is MS-Windows people get so twitchy when anybody dares suggest something other than the Microsoft Party Line?)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I don't care what you say, or what crazy ideas you concoct to try to convince people to see it your way,

ISTM I'm not the one trying to convince anybody of anything--other than perhaps the assertion that "Windows 7 is dead" is just a bit of an exaggeration?

quote:
but those of us that have professional knowledge of this subject will simply never agree with you.

(Why is is MS-Windows people get so twitchy when anybody dares suggest something other than the Microsoft Party Line?)

You know that isn't true.
It isn't political.
Some people actually understand it and prefer it, even after experiencing other products.
Nothing is perfect, nothing is static.
Everyone always blames Microsoft for everything ~ there is soooooo much more involved with a 360 degree view of technology.

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Ok, I concede: Not all of 'em, all the time Smile My bad.

quote:
Everyone always blames Microsoft for everything ~ there is soooooo much more involved with a 360 degree view of technology.

Not everyone. You know well that I have defended Microsoft, myself, when I felt they were being unjustly nicked for something not of their doing--this despite the fact you know, equally as well, I dislike MS and nearly everything they've produced.

In this particular case: I'm not nicking Microsoft. Most products do have an EOL. Heck, if anything, MS does its customers better than most Linux vendors in this respect. Even Ubuntu "LTS" releases don't have the lifespan of most MS-Win releases. (Then again: I don't usually pay for Linux, so I can hardly legitimately bitch.)

No, my point is asserting MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7 IS DEAD! UPGRADE NOW!!! is just a mite >< over the top. Never mind asserting somebody who demurs is "not a professional" and "[has] crazy ideas."

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ok, I concede: Not all of 'em, all the time Smile My bad.

quote:

Not everyone. You know well that I have defended Microsoft, myself, when I felt they were being unjustly nicked for something not of their doing--this despite the fact you know, equally as well, I dislike MS and nearly everything they've produced.

In this particular case: I'm not nicking Microsoft. Most products do have an EOL. Heck, if anything, MS does its customers better than most Linux vendors in this respect. Even Ubuntu "LTS" releases don't have the lifespan of most MS-Win releases. (Then again: I don't usually pay for Linux, so I can hardly legitimately bitch.)

No, my point is asserting MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7 IS DEAD! UPGRADE NOW!!! is just a mite >< over the top. Never mind asserting somebody who demurs is "not a professional" and "[has] crazy ideas."

At no point did I say "IT'S DEAD!! UPGRADE NOW!!!" Perhaps that's how you construed things, but those words were certainly not typed by me.

My assertion that the OS is DEAD is due to people griping that Microsoft is no longer doing development for it, eg: no support for new hardware.

Regardless your interpretation or temper tantrum about it, the fact remains - it's dead, Jim. Use it all you want, but there's no more support.

Further, I don't need to "convince" anyone of anything. I already quoted the source, direct from the manufacturer, STATING in black and white that it's dead. If you can't comprehend that, well.. I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you. Wink

And for the record, I'm not a "MS-Windows people", I'm an IT consultant. I'm paid to look at the BIG picture, not the myopic view of end users and whatever one operating system they happen to interface with on a daily basis.