SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Deck Pressure Washing Advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deck Pressure Washing Advice Login/Join 
Picture of bonfire
posted
I have to pressure wash my deck to prep for staining. In the past I just used the 40 degree nozzle and it took forever. I bought a 15 inch disc attachment for the concrete patio and wondering if I can speed the process up and use the attachment on the deck without damaging it.
Equipment- Simpson 3000psi pressure washer, 15 inch EZ clean gas surface cleaner.
Deck- About 800 square feet.

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Yep those things (surface cleaner attachment) work great.

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Nooooooooo......more is not better when PWing wood decking.

I cant speak for Trex or the other non-wood decking......but DO NOT use greater than 1200-1500psi on wood species.
You will blow the wood fiber to hell and be left with a poor surface.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4571 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
^^ Good point ^^ when using on a deck directly.
The surface cleaner is really only for concrete.

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DO NOT pressure wash a deck!!!!

1- rinses pulp wood away causing ridges and splinters

2- forces water into the wood so when sun hits it will crack and split

3- forces mildew spores into the wood causing years of issues including discoloration when a sealer is applied

4- causes the weathered wood fibers to “fuzz” so when a sealer is applied it will adhere to the “fuzz” which leads to premature failure of the coating since you’ve created an unstable substrate

I could go on....

There is not a deck board manufacturer that recommends using a pressure washer (except for low pressure rinse). All say to use an oxalyic acid based deck wash

Here’s a test... take a piece of duct tape. Place it in a deck board and remove. It will show all the “fuzz” that’s been created. When that’s no longer present you now have a properly prepared surface

(I have 18 years and counting in the archetectual coatings industry, due to my companies internet media policy I am unable to disclose which)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cusingeorge
posted Hide Post
Power washing is fine, just don't use a great deal of pressure. If you are only needing to remove the grayed wood fibers and maybe remove some mildew or dirt, mix this up:

3 ounces of Dawn (Palmolive or Joy is OK)
1 ounce of bleach
Mix into 1 gallon of warm water

Spray this mix liberally across your wetted wood surface (your going to need more than one gallon of this mix). Scrub the deck paying attention to the trouble areas where there is foot traffic, and potential areas where mildew either has been, or could grow.

Let it sit for 20 minutes so the bleach can kill any mold or mildew spores, then either wash off with a hose or do a light power wash.

Be sure the you let your wood dry out for 2 good dry days before staining.

My tongue swore, but my mind was still unpledged.

Posts: 2196 | Location: Calumet, Oklahoma  | Registered: August 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oxalic acid will clean and bleach a wood deck.

https://www.amazon.com/OXALIC-...JJ2WZMZ1KFBAVW1BY9QT

Posts: 12655 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post