SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chicken in the fridge, how long?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicken in the fridge, how long? Login/Join 
posted
How long does everyone keep raw chicken in the fridge for? I bought some on Thursday and haven't gotten around to cooking it until now. Is that too long for raw chicken? It isn't grey, but i'd rather play it safe. What does the group say?

TS

Posts: 858 | Location: California | Registered: March 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
3 days isn't too long to be honest.
Of course, we don't know how long it had been in the package before you took it home, so it "depends".
Probably a good reminder to check the thermometer to make sure its below 40f degrees.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Mom always said, "If in doubt, throw it out." It costs less to be sure than to be sick.

That said... I opened a pack of chicken breasts last Tuesday and cooked half of them, refrigerating the rest until time to cook tonight. I'm still kickin'! Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Our house rule is 3 days for chicken in the fridge, raw or cooked. Not worth the chance to push it.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Smell test. If it smells fine, eat it.

What is the sell by date? Wouldn't go more than a day or two past it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Brand new chicken can be just as dangerous as 3 day old chicken in the fridge.

If it smells fine and doesn't have that slick film on it then I say cook it correctly and chow down.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
There's a spot in the back part of my fridge that will "freeze" (~30°f) recent purchases for a few days but not hard freeze. I guess it's my chicken zone. Big Grin

Posts: 3508 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3-4 days is ok, no longer than a week; can also depend if its in the coldest part of the fridge, or, right up front and subject to temp changes. Smell will be the giveaway.

Seafood has the real short time in fridge, 2-3 days max.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
3 days in the fridge generally isn't too long, unless perhaps it was on clearance and purchased on its sell-by date.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
As raw chicken (or any me at for that matter) sits in the frig, some bacteria will develop on the outside. As long as you cook it to the prescribed temp that stuff gets killed off. With spoiled meat however even though you kill off the bacteria, it can make you very ill. As suggested, The smell test will usually detect bad meat and if you're really concerned, toss it in the bin.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Until the sell by date. I'd say 5 days in the fridge from the grocery store, 3 days after you thaw it from your freezer.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go by your nose and the sell by date.

You have no idea how long the chicken has been sitting at the store unless you consult the sell by date.

Obviously the smell test will tell you if its safe to eat but the sell by date will give you an rough idea of how many days it should be safe to reduce your chances of chucking it.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on temp of the fridge

Smell first

I think your ok for tonight. Any longer I think you maybe pushing it

But there are plenty of country’s who hang them raw in the window for days... dunno

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Chicken will let you know. Give it a sniff.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Echoing others...smell test for the win. Slime test for the confirmation.

One "trick" we use, is to purchase large quantities of quality chicken breasts, re-package them (vacuum seal) with basic/neutral seasonings, and freeze (for long term storage) or sous vide within a day. If frozen, we pull out of the freezer and allow for 48 hours to thaw in the fridge (it won't be all the way thawed), then stick it in the sous vide bath. We sous vide at 150F for at least 3 hours, 5 if previously/partially frozen. That makes the chicken pasteurized, and safe for consumption. We leave the chicken in the vacuum seal and refrigerate. At that point, anytime over the next week or so the chicken can be opened and consumed or processed into another meal. Typically, I open a bag, thinly slice the chicken and marinate it in something for use in a stir fry or rice bowl. Sometimes I'll butterfly the breasts and toss over a spaghetti in the broiler with a good cheese for a cheap, healthier chicken parmesan. You can grill/broil/slice and make nearly any chicken meal. The chicken is moist and flavorful, and most importantly...safe to eat.

We use our sous vide method for a lot of meals, cooking multiple meats over the weekend for quick week meals.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Mom always said, "If in doubt, throw it out." It costs less to be sure than to be sick.

This. My first job as a legal type was for a Chicago grocery chain. One of my tasks was to deal with complaints of people who’d eaten spoiled food and wanted us to compensate them.

After listening to dozens of very graphic descriptions of the consequences of food poisoning, I said the same thing: When in doubt, throw it out.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I'm doing 6 breasts right now in the oven that were purchased back at end of July/first of August. I'm doing them @ 425 for 27 minutes. I won't eat them tonight, but will have them over the next couple of days...that is IF they taste good.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1164 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
The nose knows.

Open the bag, you'll know right away if it's still good.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post