SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tips needed from frequent travelers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tips needed from frequent travelers Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
We want to take the family (6 of us) to Disneyworld in December, and I'm looking for any tips and tricks from frequent travelers on how to get discounted airfare (when is the best time to buy tickets?), and how to get a good deal on a car rental. Any advice is appreciated.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Google Flights and Sky Scanner will tell you which airlines are the cheapest, what dates of travel are historically the best, and how far in advance you should book the tickets.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never looked into it but it was always my understanding that you don't really need a car for Disney if you're staying near the parks. Be prepared for it to be extremely difficult to get seats together (not sure how old your kids are/if that is still important). Delta is probably the only one who will do it direct which is probably ideal if the kiddos are little.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
If your staying at a Disney resort / hotel you don't need a car.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
First 2 weeks of December are the best time for Disney. All the Christmas decorations and shows without the insane crowds. We like the Candellight Processional...

Posts: 1223 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Agreed with the above. Unless you plan to do a lot of traveling besides the park, skip a rental and just use Uber to/from the airport, and even for shorter trips. Way cheaper and more convenient. Seating for 6 isn't a problem with Uber XL.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Have you given any thought to driving to Disneyland in California? No flights and no rental car for a family of 6 would probably save you close to $3,000 even after buying gas. At 9 hours it's an easy one day drive. Having been to both Disneyland and Disneyworld, I doubt the kids will ever miss a thing.

I know it's not what you asked for and please ignore the suggestion if you are dead set on Florida.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Have you given any thought to driving to Disneyland in California? No flights and no rental car for a family of 6 would probably save you close to $3,000 even after buying gas. At 9 hours it's an easy one day drive. Having been to both Disneyland and Disneyworld, I doubt the kids will ever miss a thing.

I know it's not what you asked for and please ignore the suggestion if you are dead set on Florida.

We've been to Disneyland quite a few times, and we thought it would be fun to go to Disneyworld and Florida. My kids are all teens or older, and have agreed to give up Christmas this year in exchange for the trip.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Agreed with the above. Unless you plan to do a lot of traveling besides the park, skip a rental and just use Uber to/from the airport, and even for shorter trips. Way cheaper and more convenient. Seating for 6 isn't a problem with Uber XL.

We're looking at staying a few miles from the park - we found a few condos on VRBO that are very reasonably priced.
The reason we'd like a car is to be able to go to the beach while we're there. It's kind of a novel idea for us to go to the beach at Christmas time Smile

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:

We've been to Disneyland quite a few times, and we thought it would be fun to go to Disneyworld and Florida. My kids are all teens or older, and have agreed to give up Christmas this year in exchange for the trip.

In that case, have you considered driving to Orlando Big Grin only half kidding, I just drove my family to San Diego and back to Austin for the World Baseball Classic. We had a great time on the road and saw tons of sights. Lots of cool cities and sights between you and Orlando.

Otherwise, look at Southwest Airlines for cheap fares. I fly often and they typically beat other airlines handily on price.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
BTW, I am posting from a Southwest plane now, my wife and I are returning from San Francisco after a long weekend getaway without the kids Big Grin

Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Google the website "boardingarea" and the blog "mommypoints" lots of info on cheap family travel,Disney and all sorts of travel tips.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check Southwest. I believe their December calendar will open up May 3rd or 18th. Avoid the days leading up to Christmas and New Year.

It's hard to beat SW. Their customer service is great. Ages of kids traveling?

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm actually doing a Disney World trip right now. We did the Christmas party at Magic Kingdom last year and it was a lot of fun, so I would look into doing that one night.

For car rentals, we have had really good luck booking through Costco (if your a member).

If you are doing a 7 day or more park hopper pass, one of you should get an annual pass for WDW. The price is a few hundred more than a 7 day, but includes free parking, discounts on most merchandise and food, christmas and other party tickets as well as Photopass. Very easy to justify the added cost for 1 family member to get that pass while the rest of the family gets the basic park hopper tickets.

Last year we stayed at a VRBO booked 3 bedroom condo at the World Quest resort. It was a pretty nice place especially for the price ($110ish) a night and it's about 1 mile from WDW property. I believe it was about a 7-10 minute drive from the condo to being parked at Epcot.

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

If you want peace, prepare for war.

Posts: 309 | Location: Clackamas, OR | Registered: January 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating, sleeping and boinking. Everything else is just Filler.
Picture of terma-nator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
We're looking at staying a few miles from the park - we found a few condos on VRBO that are very reasonably priced.
The reason we'd like a car is to be able to go to the beach while we're there. It's kind of a novel idea for us to go to the beach at Christmas time Smile

I used to live in Daytona, and during that time of year is quite cold at the beach. Don't plan on going into the water!

I love it here!

My Gun collection:
Too many to list. Lets just say that the zombies should look elsewhere.

Posts: 1671 | Location: Back in the good 'ol U.S.A. (South Fla) | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
If you're going United, ask TSA if a helmet is permitted.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
Check Southwest. I believe their December calendar will open up May 3rd or 18th. Avoid the days leading up to Christmas and New Year.

It's hard to beat SW. Their customer service is great. Ages of kids traveling?

Thanks for clearing that up about Southwest - I was wondering why I couldn't check flights in December. My kids will be 13-20 years old by the time we go.

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:
First 2 weeks of December are the best time for Disney. All the Christmas decorations and shows without the insane crowds. We like the Candellight Processional...

The earlier the better in December...trust me.

We went to Disneyland for Christmas in 2015, and were there from, as I recall, the 21st - 26th. The crowds were absolutely insane...the park hit capacity on three occasions (which in the half-dozen or so times I've been to a Disney park I've never seen happen), and the rides were breaking and shutting down right and left, whether because of capacity/wear or ??, I've no idea. The sidewalks and pathways in the park were not designed to handle that number of people...it was an endless parade of shoulder-to-shoulder people, most of whom were suffering the same issues as we were and were most definitely not in the holiday spirit.

I'm glad we did the Disney thing at Christmas as, of course, they really do it up there and present a fantastic scene for the holidays...but that said, it was by far our worst trip there when we'd hoped it'd best one of our best, and while my kids were able to mostly shrug it off, my wife and I -- both Disney park fans from way back -- got our fill of Disney for a long, long time to come.

Florida may be able to absorb the people better, given its larger size, but I'm willing to bet it's still a madhouse. Again: the earlier in December the better...don't make the same mistake we did.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post